Winthrop & Liberty Win; Longwood Ties Virginia Tech


Obougou's Two Goals Lead Winthrop Over Presbyterian College Tuesday Night
CLINTON, SC- Junior Achille Obougou recorded his second two-goal game of the season as Winthrop picked up a 2-0 road win at Presbyterian College, Tuesday evening in Big South Conference men's soccer action.
Winthrop moved above .500 on the season and is now 6-5 overall and 2-1 in the league. PC falls to 3-10 overall and 2-3 in the Big South.
Leading 1-0 at the half, Obougou gave the Eagles a 2-0 cushion in the 58th minute with his second goal of the game. The goal came off a set piece as the Eagles set up for along throw to the left of the PC goalkeeper about 10 yards off the end line. Josh Mort launched a throw to the near post that was punched out by the keeper right to Obougou, who then took a touch to pop the ball up and ripped a shot into the back of the net.
Obougou put the Eagles on the board in the 22nd minute with his fourth goal of the season. Senior Alex Isern worked his way into position on the left wing to set up a cross and he found Obougou running on and he redirected the cross into the right corner of the net from close range. It is the sixth straight game with a point for Isern, who dished out his team-leading sixth assist on the play.
Just over three minutes after the goal, Winthrop nearly made it 2-0 as Isern freed himself up around the 18 to the goalies right and ripped a shot that hit the crossbar, bounced down at the goal line but stayed out of the net. Another good chance for a 2-0 lead came in the 52nd minute when the ball was served into the box at the back post at the six-yard box as Adam Brundle was open for a free header but the shot was high and wide.
It was the first shutout of the season as Winthrop keeper Enrique Miranda made five saves to record his ninth career shutout. Winthrop finished with a 26-17 advantage on shots with 11 of them on frame. PC keeper Tyler Beadle, who ranks seventh nationally in saves per game turned away nine shots.
Winthrop will remain on the road for its next contest when it heads to Buies Creek, NC Saturday to take on Campbell University at 5 p.m.

Meanwhile, Presbyterian College will host Liberty on Friday, Oct. 12 at 5:00pm.

Liberty Downs American, 1-0
LYNCHBURG, VA. - For the second straight match, the Liberty Flames shut down their opponent, defeating the American Eagles, 1-0, Tuesday evening in a non-conference contest at the East Campus Fields.

The Flames had shut out Big South Conference foe Campbell, 1-0, in their previous outing, Friday. Just like in that game, the lone goal of the contest came off the foot of forward Kyle Breitmeyer.

With the win, Liberty moves to 4-6 on the year.  American drops to 6-5-1. The shutout was the Flames third of the season.

During the opening half, Liberty held American without a shot.  Meanwhile, the Flames carried the play in the period, firing seven shots.

Liberty's first shot attempt came during the eighth minute. Off a corner kick, defender Sam Duininck lifted an attempt, which Eagle goalkeeper Billy Knutsen stopped.

During the 23rd minute, midfielder Johnny Torres sent a pass into the center of the 18-yard box for Breitmeyer.  However, the forward ripped an attempt over the goal, keeping the game scoreless.

Several minutes later, Breitmeyer put home another chance. Torres pounced on a loose ball just outside the left side of the penalty area and pushed a pass past an American defender into the box for the junior.  Breitmeyer ran onto the ball and blasted a shot into the left corner of the net for his third goal of the year at 28:41 to give Liberty a 1-0 lead.

Later in the half, Breitmeyer took a crossing pass from midfielder Blessing Tahuona and launched a shot, only to see American's Knutsen make a diving save during the 34th minute.

The second half began with another scoring opportunity for the Flames.  After an Eagle foul during the 53rd minute, defender Uriah Bentick sent the ensuing free kick from 25 yards out just outside the right goal post.

In the 60th minute, Liberty goalkeeper Scott Sutarik made the stop on American's first shot attempt of the night, a header by forward Brett Habermehl off a crossing pass into the 18-yard box.

With Eagles sending extra attackers forward looking for the equalizer during the final 20 minutes, the Flames caught American in transition for a shot during the 78th minute. Duininck moved into the right side of the penalty area and sent a pass to the far post for Tahuona. The midfielder lifted a shot, which hit the crossbar and bounced out, keeping the contest, 1-0.

During the 81st minute, Sutarik made a stop of a wobbling shot in front of the net by Eagle forward Colin Seigfreid.

A shot by Amercian's Patrick Mehlert in the 87th minute sailed high, sealing Liberty's victory.

The Flames outshot the Eagles, 11-5, in the contest and had the only corner kick of the game during the opening minutes of the first half.

Sutarik records his third shutout of the season, making two saves while playing the full 90 minutes between the posts for Liberty.  Knutsen had four saves for American.

The contest was the final non-conference match for Liberty this season.  The Flames finish the 2012 regular season with seven Big South contests, beginning with a match at Presbyterian College, Friday.  Game time is scheduled for 5 p.m.

No. 23 High Point Falls on the Road to Virginia, 2-1
A late penalty kick gave the University of Virginia a 2-1 win over the No. 23-ranked High Point University men's soccer team on Tuesday night in Charlottesville, Va. Senior Shawn Sloan gave the Panthers an early lead with his fifth goal of the season.
With the score tied 1-1 in the 88th minute, Virginia earned a corner kick and in the scrum that developed in the box a handball was called on the Panthers' Shane Malcolm. The Cavaliers' Will Bates took the kick and buried it to give UVA the late lead.
The loss is High Point's first of the season and it drops the Panthers' record to 10-1-1 on the season. It was HPU's first loss since Oct. 25, 2011 against Longwood, ending an undefeated streak of 16-straight games. Virginia improves to 6-5-1 on the year with the win.
High Point took an early 1-0 lead in the 10th minute when Sloan got behind the defense and scored his second goal in as many games. Sloan won a joust with a defender just outside the box and the loose ball fell to the feet of sophomore Mamadee Nyepon. The forward immediately slid a pass to Sloan who then slotted a shot past the keeper to the right side of net.
The Panthers maintained their lead until the 29th minute when UVA leveled the game on a free kick by Bates. The Cavaliers earned a free kick just outside the penalty area allowing Bates to bend a shot over the wall and into the upper 90 on the left side of goal.
Malcolm helped preserve the tie twice in the second half, saving two shots off the line on Virginia set pieces. The midfielder also had the best HPU scoring chance of the half when he got open on the right flank and forced a diving save with a low shot to the near post.
High Point returns to conference action on Saturday, Oct. 13 when it welcomes Gardner-Webb to Vert Stadium. The Bulldogs have struggled this season and are just 2-8-1 overall and 1-1-1 in the Big South. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. following the conclusion of the HPU women's soccer game against Longwood.

Longwood Plays to 0-0 Double-Overtime Draw with Virginia Tech
FARMVILLE, Va. - The Longwood University men's soccer team played to a 0-0, double-overtime draw against Virginia Tech (5-5-2) of the Atlantic Coast Conference on Tuesday evening at the Athletics Complex in Farmville. Freshman Zach Corcoran|Martinsville (Martinsville) led the Lancers (3-9-2) with two shots in the match. Longwood returns to action on Saturday, October 13 when the squad travels to Belmont University for a 5:30 p.m. tilt.

Seven other Lancers tallied a shot in the contest. Sophomore Athony Ugorji|Washington, D.C. (Archbishop Carroll) and freshman Mike Durr|Brandon, Miss (Brandon) put one shot on goal apiece, while senior Devin Pierce|Virginia Beach (Kempsville), sophomore Jonathan Kukapa|Leesburg (Clarksburg Md.), sophomore Daena Bodie|Guernsey, England (St. Sampson's Secondary School), freshman Sam Yardley|Fairfax Station (Robinson) and freshman Will Lambert|Charlottesville (Monticello) each tallied one shot, as well. Sophomore goalkeeper Paul Hegedus|Ashburn (Broad Run) earned the shutout in net for LU with a career-high eight saves on the night.

The Lancers controlled the pace of play early in the match putting two hard shots close to the net in the opening minutes. Yardley wound up and took a shot that sailed just high in the ninth minute before Kukapa dished a cross to Pierce on the left side for the shot that missed wide.

The Hokies came close to breaking the game open when they put a header on goal that found its way past Hegedus, but the shot was quickly called off due to a push-off to keep the contest knotted at 0-0.

The Lancers quickly regrouped to go on the offensive in the 30th minute. Ugorji got foot on a cross, sending the ball toward the back right corner of the net, but a great defensive save by VT's Hunter Jecius extinguished the opportunity. Corcoran continued to pressure the Hokies' defense with a powerful shot that rang the right post before Virginia Tech could clear the ball out of their offensive zone.

In the second half, Hegedus made a diving save on a VT header to keep the game scoreless in the 51st minute of play. Longwood made an attempt in the 70th minute when Yardley inserted a corner kick that found Kukapa for the redirect, but missed high. Hegedus came up with two more diving saves in the waning minutes of regulation to send the game to a 10-minute, sudden-victory overtime period.

Virginia Tech outshot Longwood, 2-1, in the first overtime, including a shot by Kai Marshall that skimmed across the top of the net, but neither squad was able to convert, causing a second overtime. Following a Virginia Tech foul, junior Jared Windt|Haymarket (Battlefield) played in a free kick for the Lancers, and with a leaping header, Durr was able to put the ball low and on goal, but the Hokies' keeper dropped to the ground in time for the save. In the final minute of the game, Drew Ranahan put a header of his own on goal, but Hegedus made the save, ending the game in scoreless draw.

Virginia Tech outshot Longwood, 12-9, in the outing and forced more corner kicks, 7-5. Tuesday's match marked the eighth meeting ever between the Lancers and the Hokies in the sport of men's soccer. With Tuesday's draw, the all-time series remains tied at 3-3-2.