Stony Brook, Coastal Carolina and PC Open Season With Wins


Senior Miguel Maysonet totaled 196 yards of total offense and three scores and senior Kyle Essington passed for 188 yards and three touchdowns as the Stony Brook football team topped Central Connecticut, 49-17, in the season opener for both teams.

Maysonet ran for scores of 84 and five yards and caught a 25-yard TD.  Essington also threw a TD pass to senior Kevin Norrell and junior Adrian Coxson.

The Seawolves built up a 21-0 lead -- all three of Stony Brook's touchdowns in the first quarter came on the first play of the drive.  After CCSU cut the lead to 11 points at 21-10, SBU scored another 21 to take a commanding 42-10 advantage entering the fourth quarter.

Tonight's victory was the first season-opening win for Stony Brook since 2008.  That season was also the last time the Seawolves opened the season at home (42-26 over Colgate).  Stony Brook is now 8-3 all-time vs. Central Connecticut, and has never lost at home to the Blue Devils.

Stony Brook hosts Pace, a Division II school from the Northeast-10 Conference next Saturday.  Pace fell to Bentley, 42-0, in its opener.

Senior quarterback Aramis Hillary threw for one score and ran for another from a yard out to lead Coastal Carolina University to a season-opening 29-13 win over North Carolina A&T Saturday night at Brooks Stadium.  Hillary finished the game with a career-high 274 yards on 19-28 completions and gave rookie head coach Joe Moglia his first win as the Chanticleers' head coach.

Aramis threw 33 yards for a score to junior receiver Matt Hazel early in the third quarter to put Coastal on top 24-10.  After that, Coastal fed senior running back Jeremy Height, who responded with a career high 109 yards on 20 carries that included a first half scoring run of 22 yards.

Coastal led from the 4:49 mark of the first quarter when Hillary pushed his way into the end zone from a yard away.  And following Dontavais Johnson's second interception of the half, Coastal moved again to score quickly.  Height's scoring run capped a 57-yard drive made the score 14-0 at the close of the first quarter and the Chanticleers looked like they were on their way to an easy win. B ut the Coastal didn't put the Aggies away until the fourth quarter.

The two teams traded field goals in the second quarter before North Carolina A&T drove 72 yards to score on a 23-yard pass play with just three seconds left in the half to make the score 17-10.

Hazel's scoring reception helped Coastal regain the momentum to start the second half, as it finished off a 10-play, 72-yard scoring drive.

Junior receiver Niccolo Mastromatteo helped the offense with a career high 114 receiving yards on seven catches, including two of more than 30 yards.  Defensively, Johnson grabbed a third interception late in the game and junior linebacker Mike McClure led the way with 12 tackles.

Coastal Carolina hits the road next week for a game at Furman.  Kickoff is at 5:00pm.

The Presbyterian College football team kicked off its 2012 season in style on Saturday, cruising to a 45-10 win over visiting Brevard at Bailey Memorial Stadium.

PC (1-0) exploded for 430 yards of offense and went 4-for-4 in the red zone while limiting Brevard (0-1) to scoring only in the second quarter and 81 overall passing yards.

The Blue Hose turned a 24-10 lead at the half into a 45-10 victory, the first season-opening win for PC since moving to Division I.

Running back Lance Byrd needed 51 yards to reach 2,000 career rushing yards and more than doubled that, going for 109 yards on the ground.  The senior becomes the first Blue Hose in the Division I era to break the 2,000-yard barrier.

Demarcus Rouse ran just eight times against the Tornados but made them all count, scampering for 83 yards and three touchdowns -- all in the second half.  Rouse first converted from 15 yards away midway through the third quarter and then scored from eight yards out early in the fourth.  The sophomore running back put an exclamation point on the day with a seven-yard rush to ice the game late, 45-10.

On the defensive side, Donelle Williams contributed six solo tackles and assisted on three more while Parrish Walker and Bryson Brindle each sacked Brevard quarterback Aaron Reese once.

Brevard's Reese went 9-for-15 for 81 yards passing and gained 34 on the ground.  Running backs Kelvin Jeter and Andre Overholt each ran for 53 yards.

The Blue Hose began the game with a bang as Michael Ruff took the opening kickoff 92 yards for a touchdown to give the home side a 7-0 lead just 16 seconds into the game.

PC struck again with 8:01 left in the first quarter on a marathon drive.  On the 14th play of a series that began on the team's own four-yard line, fullback Shawn Armstrong punched the ball in from 12 yards away to extend the Blue Hose lead, 14-0.

Brevard's offense continued to run into a tough Blue Hose defense as PC kept the Tornados off of the scoreboard throughout the first quarter.

Early in the second quarter, Aaron Mayes split the uprights on a 42-yard field goal and PC led, 17-0.

The Tornados found their first points of the day on a Ben Noboa 40-yard field goal with 8:11 before halftime.  The visitors moved to within seven with 1:13 left thanks to a short Aaron Reese touchdown pass to Eric Watts.

PC retaliated quickly, however, and the Blue Hose marched 57 yards in 49 seconds for a score.  Tamyn Garrick connected with Arthur Williams on a short pass and the wide receiver did the rest, stiff-arming his way into the end zone to give PC a 24-10 lead heading into halftime.

Garrick went 11-for-16 against the Tornados for 120 yards and left the game in the second half.  Kaleb Griffin went a perfect 3-for-3 in relief and Chad Sanders completed his only pass late in the game.

The Blue Hose defense stifled the Tornados in the second half in shutout fashion.  The Tornados reached the 21-yard line on a long drive in third quarter, but a fourth-down pass breakup by Cedric Byrd in the end zone gave the ball back to PC.

PC allowed only one first down and held the visitors to 19 total yards in the fourth quarter, despite Brevard holding the ball for 8:19 of play.

The Blue Hose will next head to Georgia Tech for a Saturday night matchup on September 8.  Kickoff in Atlanta, Ga., is slated for 7 p.m. and the game will be carried on ESPN3.

Quarterback Nick Elko posted a four-yard touchdown run with 45 seconds remaining, breaking a 10-10 tie and sending the Delaware State Hornets to a 17-10 win over the VMI Keydets in non-conference football action, contested Saturday in Dover, Del.  The contest was the season opener for both schools.

The Keydets (0-1) had tied the game in the fourth quarter with a 17-play, 75-yard drive that was capped by a Jeff Sexton 22-yard field goal, but the Hornets (1-0) returned the ensuing kickoff to their own 45.  A two-yard run on fourth-and-one gave them a first down in VMI territory, and one play later, the Keydets were hit with a personal foul penalty, giving DSU the ball at the VMI 26.

Four plays later, the home team had a first-and-goal with under a minute remaining.  The Keydet defense held on first down, but Elko converted the second down rushing attempt for the game-winner, and Marshall Ward added the point after to account for the final margin.  VMI did get the ball into DSU territory in the final seconds, but a last-second Eric Kordenbrock deep pass was intercepted by Hornet defensive back Ronald Robinson in the endzone to seal the game's result.

Junior back David Turner led the way for the Keydets in Saturday's game, rushing for a career-high 101 yards on 23 carries.  He also had seven catches for 83 yards receiving, giving him 184 all-purpose yards.  That is the highest all-purpose yardage for a Keydet since Tracy Hairston had 212 yards last season against Richmond.

In the first half, both offenses had difficulty getting in sync and squandered opportunities while the defenses held the upper hand.  The Keydets fumbled it away twice and punted three times on their first five possessions of the first half while Delaware State was forced to punt four times while fumbling it away once.  

The Keydets second fumble of the first half led to the game's first score when a missed center exchange resulted in a Hornet possession at the VMI 30.  But the Keydet defense stiffenend and forced Delaware State to settle for a 30-yard field goal from Mitchell Ward and a 3-0 DSU lead with 6:01 remaining in the second quarter.

VMI missed a field goal try on the next possession when Sexton pushed a 31-yard attempt wide right.  The Hornets countered with an eight-play 80-yard possession with a hurry-up offense that consumed 1:44 and produced a 26-yard touchdown pass over the middle from Elko to Travis Tarpley.

VMI tried a 41-yarder in the final moments of the first half, but Sexton's attempt sailed left of the uprights.  DSU took a 10-0 lead at halftime but the game turned toward VMI's favor as the Keydets clawed back to regain momentum in the second half.

Turning to an recharged ground game in Turner, the Roanoke native carried all nine plays on a 46-yard drive and capped it with a one-yard dive at the 2:24 mark of the third quarter. Sexton's extra point made it 10-7 as the game headed to the fourth period. 

The Keydets eventually tied game by gaining control of the line of scrimmage and pounding out a 17-play, 17-yard drive that chewed up 7:31 off the clock.  The drive stalled at the DSU four-yard line, however, and the Keydets settled for a Sexton 22-yard field goal that tied the game at 10-10 with 2:35 left. 

The Keydets dominated the second half statistically running 47 snaps to Delaware State's 24 and piling up 229 yards to DSU's 122. 

Statistically for the Keydets, Turner became the first VMI back to rush for over 100 yards in a game since Chaz Jones rushed for 112 yards against The Citadel on Oct. 29, 2011.  Sophomore defensive back James Fruehan was credited with seven solo stops and eight total tackles while outside linebacker Chris Harper logged five solos and two assists for seven stops and recovered a fumble.  Kordenbrock completed 22 of 38 passes for 225 yards for his fifth career 200-yard game. 

Malcolm Williams paced the DSU ground game with 72 yards on 13 carries while Elko completed 18 of 33 passes for 156 yards and one touchdown.  Elko's favrite target was Wilson who gathered in eight aerials for 71 yards.  But the Hornets could muster only one pass over 20 yards on the day - the 26-yard TD strike to Tarpley near the end of the first half.

The Keydets were flagged 10 times for 84 yards while the Hornets drew six infractions for 65 yards.  

The Keydets return home next Saturday to begin two consecutive home games starting with the home opener against Chowan at 1:30 p.m. at Foster Stadium.                  

A late push by the Flames to claim their second FBS victory in three years just escaped the visitors on Saturday at BB&T Field when Wake Forest stopped Liberty in the fourth quarter to secure a 20-17.

The game marked the first under Flames Head Coach Turner Gill and drops Liberty to 0-1 on the season.  The narrow three-point victory allowed the Demon Deacons to open the year 1-0 and evens Wake Forest's season-opening record under head coach Jim Grobe at 6-6.

The Flames outgained the homestanding team on the night, amassing 363 total offensive yards to Wake Forest's 293 yards.  Following the graduation of last year's senior class, Liberty was looking to replace players that accounted for more than 70 percent of the Flames' offense that finished No. 20 in the country (426.45 yards per game).

Brian Hudson was Liberty's offensive leader, throwing for 263 yards and two touchdowns in his first career start under center.  Sirchauncey Holloway led the Flames rushing attack with 53 yards with Pat Kelly leading all receivers with six catches for 53 yards.

The Flames defense that kept the Demon Deacons in check most of the night was paced by Walt Aikens and Francis Bah.  Both players finished the night with six stops apiece, followed by a five-tackle effort by Kevin Fogg.

The two teams traded possessions early after the defenses set the tone for the night in the first quarter.  On Wake Forest's second drive, the Demon Deacons where whistled for a holding call, followed by a tackle for a loss by Scott Hyland to pin the home team deep in its own territory.

Wake Forest punter Alexander Kinal's punt sailed to midfield, but the ball took a Flames bounce back to the Wake Forest 44-yard line.

After picking up seven yards on a Holloway rush, the Flames faced a third-and-three play.  Hudson was flushed from the pocket, but he rolled out and gave himself enough time to find Elliott Dutra open over the middle for a 37-yard touchdown play.  The quick three-play, 44-yard drive gave the visitors an early 7-0 lead with 8:01 left to play in the first quarter.

The score remained the same until midway through the second quarter when the home team pieced together its first scoring drive of the evening.

Liberty's defensive pressure continued on Wake Forest's quarterback Tanner Price, who was nearly brought down behind the line of scrimmage by defensive end Cory Freeman on a third-and-10 play.  However, the junior avoided the tackle and floated a sideline pass to Michael Campanaro for a 19-yard pass play.

Two plays later, Wake Forest nearly matched Liberty's scoring play from near the same time during the first quarter.  Price rolled out of the pocket where he and Campanaro connected on a 32-yard touchdown play over the middle of the field.  The play capped off a six-play, 65-yard effort by the Demon Deacons and knotted the score at 7-7 with 7:15 left to play before halftime.

The Flames tried to mount one last drive late in the second quarter to give them the lead at the break.  Starting from their own 11-yard line, the Flames managed to get to the Wake Forest 32-yard line and give freshman kicker John Lunsford his first career field goal attempt.

However, the rookie's 49-yard drive just missed wide right to keep the game at 7-7 at halftime.  The Flames held a slight 178-148 offensive yard edge following 30 minutes of play.  Both team's passing games dominated the offensive stats during the first half, with the Flames passing for 131 yards to Wake Forest's 94 yards.

Hudson completed 8-of-14 passing attempts for 122 yards, while Price was 9-of-16 for 94 yards.  Martin led all ball carriers with eight carries for 32 yards during the first half, while Holloway finished the opening half with nine rushing attempts for 27 yards.  Campanaro led Wake Forest with seven receptions for 77 yards, while Kelly led the Flames with three catches for 31 yards.

The Flames took advantage of their first drive of the second half, marching 75 yards downfield to give Liberty a 14-7 lead with 10:51 left in the third quarter.

The home team looked like they were going to force an opening half three-and-out series, but Gill elected to go for it on a fourth-and-one play from his own 34-yard line.  Holloway was given the ball and the senior's second effort gave the Flames the needed first down to extend the drive.

Two plays later, another strong second push gave Liberty possession inside the red zone, when tight end Justin Gunn caught a screen pass and broke several tackles to pick up 47 yards on the passing play.

Following a no gain rushing attempt by Holloway, Hudson went back to the senior running back, but this time in the air. A fter catching the ball in the flat, Holloway was about to get to the outside and find the corner of the end zone for a 14-yard touchdown reception.

The Demon Deacons tried to answer back on their first possession of the second half, getting to Liberty's 23-yard line following a 10-yard run by Deandre Martin.  However, Martin was tackled behind the line of scrimmage on the next play for a six-yard loss and Lovell Jackson lost an additional yard on a screen pass.  Jimmy Newman was brought in to attempt a 47-yard field goal that missed wide left and keep the score 14-7 in Liberty's favor.

But the seven-point margin did not remain in Liberty's favor for long, as a turnover three plays later tied the game in just over 80 seconds.

On a third-and-10 play, Hudson tried to find Dutra open to the left, but his pass into triple coverage was intercepted and returned 39 yards for a touchdown by A.J. Marshall to knot the game at 14-14.

The Flames were quickly stopped on their next drive and an out-of-bounds punt by Grant Bowden gave Wake Forest possession at the Liberty 40-yard line.

Price completed all three of his pass attempts on the ensuing 60-yard scoring drive, including a 28-yard play to fullback Tommy Bohanon.  The lengthy sideline pass gave Wake Forest the ball at the three-yard line where Martin was able to score two plays later.

A bad snap on the point-after attempt kept the game's score at 20-14 in favor of the home team with 13:24 left to play in the ball game.

The Flames trimmed their deficit in half on the next drive which got to the Wake Forest 31-yard line before it stalled.  This time around, Lunsford was able to correct his direction and the freshman easily hit his first collegiate field goal at 49 yards, cutting the lead to three, 20-17, with 9:39 left to play in the ball game.

The Flames' defense forced back-to-back three-and-out series by the Demon Deacons, giving Liberty two more scoring opportunities.

The second try came with just over three minutes left to play in the game.  Liberty managed to pick up two first downs, but not a third.  On a fourth-and-nine play, Hudson tried to get the ball to Gunn downfield who was able to catch the pass with his outstretched hands.  However, the tight end could not keep possession when he hit the ground, ending Liberty's last try.

Holloway led Liberty's rushing attack with 17 carries for 53 yards, followed by Hudson's 12 rushes for 18 yards.  Wake Forest's top rusher was Martin, who finished the night with 21 carries for 74 yards and a touchdown.

In his first career start, Hudson completed 20-of-37 passing attempts for 263 yards and two touchdown passes.  Redshirt freshman Josh Woodrum finished the night 1-of-3 for nine yards.

Price was Wake Forest's only quarterback on the night, finishing the game 16-of-28 for 195 yards and one touchdown.

Seven different players caught passes for Liberty on the night, led by Kelly's six-reception, 53-yard effort.  Dutra followed with four receptions for 64 yards and a score, while Gunn had three catches for 66 yards.  Campanaro recorded nine of Wake Forest's 16 receptions, finishing the game with 96 yards and a touchdown.

The Flames will open up the home portion of their schedule next weekend against Norfolk State.  Kickoff at Williams Stadium is 7 p.m.  The contest will begin a stretch of three games where the Flames face three consecutive teams that advanced to the NCAA FCS Playoffs in 2011.

Eric Breitenstein ran for 219 yards and two scores on 22 carries, leading No. 10 Wofford to a 34-7 win over Gardner-Webb Saturday night in a rain-soaked season opener for both teams' season opener.  Saturday's kickoff was delayed until 6:15 due to lightning in the area.

The Terriers (1-0) jumped out to a 14-0 lead midway through the first quarter, going up two scores on a 12-yard fumble return by C.J. Turner with 6:26 left.  Donovan Johnson's 37-yard scoring catch on a wheel route from Brian Kass started the scoring with 8:36 left in the first quarter.

That 80-yard drive started after an interception in the end zone on a third-down play by Blake Wylie that thwarted a strong opening drive by Gardner-Webb (0-1).

Wofford led 14-0 at the break and went up 17-0 on a 28-yard field goal with 4:24 in the third by Christian Reed, when Breitenstein struck for his first score of the game - a 64-yarder on first down that put the Terriers up 24-0 with 2:13 to play in the third.

Gardner-Webb rebounded to trim the lead to 24-7, taking advantage of a Kass fumble with less than 30 seconds left in the third quarter.  Bradley Taylor recovered the ball at the Terriers 23-yard line and Lucas Beatty connected with Kenny Cook on the ensuing play for the touchdown.

Breitenstein answered with another score, however, barreling in from 19 yards away with 13:45 to play in the game for a 31-7 Wofford lead.

Gardner-Webb drove inside the Wofford 30 on its next drive, but Beatty was sacked twice to end the threat.  Reed connected from 38 yards for the final score of the game on the ensuing drive to cap the scoring.

Wofford rushed 61 times for 402 yards and finished with 484 yards of total offense on the night.  In addition to Breitenstein, the preseason SoCon Player of the Year, the Terriers got 71 yards on five carries by Donovan Johnson and 38 yards on 15 carries from Kass.

Kass completed 3-of-7 passes for 82 yards, one score and one interception.

Gardner-Webb was held to just 12 yards rushing on 29 attempts, with five sacks allowed and a 26-yard loss on a punt attempt hindering positive yardage for the Runnin' Bulldogs on the ground.

Beatty was solid in his first start since the Virginia State last November 3, completing 19-of-31 passes for 223 yards and a touchdown.  He was hampered by six dropped passes from GWU receivers.

Deonte Swinton hauled in six catches for a career-high 106 yards and Cook made his debut with two catches for 28 yards and a score.  Juanne Blount got the start at running back for the 'Dogs, and responded with 41 yards on 11 carries rushing - and five catches for 26 yards, gaining positive yards several times on screen passes.

Tanner Burch led Gardner-Webb's tackling list with a career-high 15 hits, Taylor had a career-high 10 stops and true freshman Chad Geter came off the bench to collect 10 tackles in his debut.

The 'Dogs had 10 tackles for loss in the game, with Preston Pemasa leading that charge with 2.5 (nine total hits).

Wofford's defensive effort produced three turnovers, nine tackles for loss and five sacks.  Wylie led the way with eight stops and an interception and Phillip LeGrande added seven tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and 2.0 sacks.

Gardner-Webb will hit the road next week, facing 2008 FCS National Champion Richmond at 6:00 pm on Saturday, Sept. 8.

The Charleston Southern Buccaneers fumbled twice on their first three possessions of the second half and saw a 14-7 second quarter lead slip away in a 49-14 loss to The Citadel on Saturday night at Johnson-Hagood Stadium.  CSU falls to 0-1 on the year, while The Citadel moves to 1-0.

The Bucs took a 14-7 lead in the final two minutes of the first half on a Malcolm Dixon TD run to seize brief control late in the half, but the Bulldogs answered with a touchdown run 1:13 later to tie the game at the half, 14-14.  The Citadel controlled things throughout the second half though, forcing three turnovers, including two early third quarter fumbles which it converted into touchdowns.

The Bulldogs controlled the game in the first quarter, but not the scoreboard, outgaining CSU 138-to-0 through 15 minutes.  Leading 7-0 at the 11-minute mark in the second, the Bulldogs drove to the Bucs' 2-yard line before Calvin Bryant jumped on a Bulldog fumble to end the threat.

The Bucs then took control for a 10-minute stretch in the second quarter.

Dixon led a 10-play, 98-yard drive to tie the game at 7-7.  He found Chase Jones swinging out of the backfield for a 15-yard touchdown pass to cap the scoring drive. 

The Bucs would force a Bulldogs fumble on the ensuing possession.  Dixon, again, would make a play, this time with his legs, to give CSU the lead.  The junior quarterback scrambled and dove across the goal line to cap a 6-play drive.

The Bulldogs' would stay in their option offense, but go to the two-minute version to tie the game just before the half.  A 27-yard Rickey Anderson touchdown run capped a 5-play, 65-yard drive to tie the game at the half, 14-14.

CSU bent defensively on the Bulldogs opening drive, but stiffened in the red zone and caught a break on a special teams mistake to keep The Citadel scoreless.

The Bulldogs would drive 68 yards in eight plays, all on the ground, picking up a first down inside the Bucs' 10-yard line.  CSU would hold the Bulldogs out of the end zone and Citadel's Thomas Warren pulled a 30-yard field.  Warren made his first attempt, but a false start penalty wiped the three points off the board.

The Bulldogs fumbled on first down at the 1-yard line, but recovered and scored on the next play on a run by Rickey Anderson.

The Bulldogs forced a fumble by CSU's Teddy Allen to open the second half and punched it in on a 10-yard Ben Dupree touchdown run to quickly seize the lead and momentum in the second half.  Allen had a first down for CSU on the half's initial possession, but had the ball punched out from behind and the Bulldogs pounced on it at the Bucs' 42.  The Citadel again did it all on the ground, scoring in six plays to take a 21-14 lead.

The Bulldogs would force a CSU punt on the ensuing possession and take a two TD lead one play later.  A 54-yard run by Darien Anderson on the first play on the Bulldogs' drive gave The Citadel a 28-14 lead.

A second CSU fumble in the third quarter would help the Bulldogs add to their lead.  The Citadel would go 24 yards in six plays to extend their lead to 35-14.

Robinson led The Citadel with 120 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries, while Anderson had three TDs and 80 yards on 10 carries.  Dupree chipped in 84 yards rushing and a pair of touchdown runs.

The Bucs struggled to slow the Bulldogs' option attack, allowing 479 rushing yards on 69 carries.  The Citadel threw only six times.

After a big second quarter, turnovers slowed the CSU offense in the second half.  Dixon finished 6-of-14 for 123 yards with a touchdown and an interception.  Allen led the Bucs rushing attack with 57 yards on 11 carries.  CSU rushed 44 times for 140 yards in the game.

The Bucs open their home schedule next Saturday against Jacksonville University.  Kickoff is at 1:30 p.m.