Radford, High Point, #17 Coastal Carolina & Winthrop Post Wins


Ulmo leads Radford men's soccer past Campbell, 2-1
RADFORD, Va. - Bernardo Ulmo scored his team-leading fourth (56') and fifth (63') goals of the season in the second half to lead Radford past Campbell 2-1 on Saturday night in the Big South opener for both teams.
Ulmo, who has scored in four of the last five matches, helped the Highlanders (3-2-2) win for the first time in four outings and beat the Camels (4-2-1) in their conference opener for the second straight year.
Bryce Miller scored in the 73rd minute, his second goal of the season, to trim Campbell's deficit to a goal.  Ethan Hall was forced to make seven saves for the Camels - the Highlanders got nine of their 15 shots on frame.
After just missing the back post on a chance in the 52nd minute, Ulmo capitalized in the 56th.  He brought the ball up the left side and passed to Chel Ho Park Kim in the middle - Park Kim pushed towards the top of the penalty area and distributed out wide for Ulmo, who stepped back and shot from 12 yards out to score and give Radford a 1-0 lead.
In the 63rd minute, the Highlanders got another chance when Joe Mayer was tripped in the penalty area - that set up a penalty kick for Ulmo, whose try was saved on a diving stop by Hall to his right, but Ulmo corralled the rebound in the goal box and finished to give Radford a 2-0 advantage.
Less than 10 minutes later, the Camels got on the board.  Mitchell Cardenas sent a long ball ahead from midfield to the area for Miller - Miller had a crowd around him, but found enough space in the middle to score and cut the Radford lead to 2-1. 
Shots were even at 8-8 in the first half, but the Highlanders outshot Campbell 6-0 to start the second - the Camels' first shot of the half was their goal.
Hall turned in a standout performance in goal for Campbell, including four saves in the first half. 
Just two minutes into the match, Mayer was stopped on the doorstep by Hall - he made another save on a tough shot by Mayer in the 11th.  With time running out in the first half, Hall had two big stops - a diving save on blast by Jannik Eckenrode to the near-side post in the 44th and a save on Jamie Summers' header on the ensuing corner kick.
Radford goalkeeper Ryan Taylor saw only two shots on frame from the Camels - Taylor handled a hard shot by Justin Franz from 18 yards out in the 36th.
The Highlanders have a short turnaround, traveling to Elon on Tuesday night at 7 p.m.  Campbell continues Big South play on Wednesday with a 6 p.m. match at Longwood.

Winthrop Wins Thrill In Overtime Against ETSU
ROCK HILL, SC- Marc Segarra's goal with three seconds remaining in the first overtime gave Winthrop a 3-2 victory over East Tennessee State, Saturday evening in non-conference men's soccer action.

Winthrop ends a three-game skid as it improves to 3-4 on the year while East Tennessee State evens its record at 4-4.

Segarra, who came on as a sub in the 63rd minute, was planted in front of the net as the clock wound down and Josh Mort launched a desperation throw-in toward the goal. The ball hit the ground, bounced off a couple of a players and came out in front of Segarra at the edge of the six-yard box as he reached out and ripped a shot on frame that found the back of the net. The goal was his third of the match and first collegiate hat trick for the senior forward. It was also the first hat trick by an Eagle since Daniel Revivo had one in 2008 against Lipscomb.

Segarra's first goal came in the 66th minute, just after he entered the game for the first time as a substitute. The goal came off a free kick from Alex Isern. The service from Isern found Segarra in the box as he took it off his chest, turned toward the middle of the field and fired a shot from about 7-8 yards into the lower left corner.

Just over five minutes later, ETSU tied the match on a goal by Itode Fubara in the 71st minute. David Geno dribbled past the Eagles defense to the touch line and found Fubara near post as he redirected the shot past Tom Banfield.

Another lapse by the Eagle defense allowed the Buccaneers to take a 2-1 lead in the 73rd minute when Geno found the back of the net for his sixth on the year. Blaike Woodruff sent a through ball past the last defenders and Geno ran on and ripped a low shot to the far past from Banfields left. Banfield got a piece of the shot, but the ball trickled across the line and into the net.

Winthrop applied pressure offensively over the next 10 minutes trying to get the equalizer. Finally in the 86th minute the Eagles tied the match on Segarra's second of the night. It was similar to the third goal as he took a throw-in from Josh Mort, settled the throw and quickly turned and fired a shot that found its way into the goal. Segarra now leads the team with five goals on the year.

The game was quiet for most of the second half, with each team having a couple of good opportunities but no real threats.

Banfield finished with the game with three saves as his counterpart Ryan Coulter had three saves as well. Winthrop finished with a 14-11 advantage in shots and 11-5 in corner kicks.

Winthrop will be back in action at home again Tuesday evening when it hosts USC Upstate at 7 p.m.

Docking Earns 200th Career Victory with 2-1 Decision Over UNCG
CONWAY - Coastal Carolina men's soccer head coach Shaun Docking earned his 200th career victory on Saturday night at the CCU Soccer Field with a 2-1 win over UNC Greensboro. The night also belonged to freshman Tevin Skyers who provided the first two goals of his collegiate career for the Chanticleers.

The victory moves the 17th-ranked Chants to 6-1-2 (2-0-0, Big South) and unbeaten in their last seven outings. UNC Greensboro drops to 2-4-2 (0-0-0, Southern) with the defeat.

Skyers put the Chants on the scoreboard in the 40th minute of the contest with his first goal as a collegian. Pedro Ribeiro ignited Skyers' score after his shot in front of the net was saved by UNC Greensboro's Peyton Ford. However, Ford deflected the ball into the air on the save allowing Skyers to head the ball home from four yards out. The assist was the first on the season for Ribeiro who missed the last four games with an injury.

The sides exchanged counter attacks in the early stages of the contest, but both defensive backlines refused to budge. As the game wore on the Chanticleers were able to stay on the ball and produce several scoring chances from both the middle of the field and the outside flanks. Coastal would take an 8-3 shot advantage and a 3-1 edge in corners into the half.

Skyers again found the back of the net for his second goal of both the game and his career in the 65th minute. And again it was Ribeiro providing the assist for his second of the game. Ribeiro dribbled into the Greensboro 18-yard box and played a crisp pass to the left toward the crashing Skyers. The freshman striker proceeded to uncork a right-footed blast past the outstretched UNC Greensboro keeper and into the back of the net.

Jake Fields brought the Spartans within a goal two minutes later with a header to the right upper 90. Following a save by Coastal's Federico Bertele, Fields was able to get a head on the loose ball for his first marker of the season.

Skyers nearly picked up a hat trick in the 84th minute as he took the ball half the length of the field and fired a shot that sailed just wide after defeating a trio of Spartans. The Spanish Town, Jamaica, native also showed great defensive prowess in 41st minute as he saved a UNC Greensboro sure goal off the line.

UNC Greensboro pushed forward over the final five minutes of play but the Coastal defensive unit held, limiting the Spartans to a single shot attempt.

Bertele picked up three saves in the match as he improved his record to 4-1-2 on the season and increased his save percentage to .773. 

The match ended with the Chanticleers holding a 14-10 shot advantage and a 5-4 lead in shots on goal. UNC Greensboro was booked for a combined six yellow cards.

Coastal returns to the pitch on Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 7 p.m. as hosts to Lowcountry rival College of Charleston. The Chanticleers, who lead the all-time series 13-8-4, claimed a thrilling 3-2 road victory over the Cougars last season. 

High Point Defeats UNC Asheville, 3-0
High Point University Men's Soccer team held UNC Asheville to just one shot on its way to a 3-0 win against the Bulldogs on Saturday night at Vert Stadium. Sophomore Leon Carby had a goal and an assist to help lead HPU to the win.
HPU improves to a perfect 8-0-0 overall on the season and 2-0-0 in the Big South. High Point joins Marquette, Cornell and UC Riverside as the only four teams in the nation that have yet to drop a point in a game this season. UNC Asheville falls to 1-7-0 overall and 0-2-0 in the Big South with the loss.
High Point started the game strong possessing the ball early in the offensive third. The Panthers' possession led to a corner in the third minute which senior Shawn Sloan took from the left side. The midfielder sent a bending ball to the far post where sophomore Mamadee Nyepon got position on two defenders and headed it into the net. The goal was Nyepon's team-best eighth of the season.
Despite continuing to control play throughout the first half HPU was unable to add to its lead until the 38th minute when sophomore Leon Carby scored his third goal of the season to push the Panther lead to 2-0. Carby received the ball on a pass from senior Kendall Lawson on the left side of the field just outside the 18.He then dribbled across the box, beating two defenders, before firing a shot just inside the right post past the diving keeper.
HPU continued to extend its lead in the 64th minute when senior Shane Malcolm got behind the Asheville backline and beat the keeper for his fourth goal of the season. Carby set Malcolm free behind the defense with a through ball up the left side of the field. Malcolm ran onto the ball before beating the keeper with a bending shot into the right side netting from 15-yards out.
High Point's possession throughout game allowed the Panthers to severely limit UNC Asheville's offensive opportunities. HPU finished the game with a 23-1 advantage in shots including a 7-0 edge in shots on goal. High Point also finished with nine corner kicks while holding Asheville to none. Sloan and Nyepon led HPU on the night with four shots apiece.
Redshirt-freshman keeper Kody Palmer was untested in the contest on his way to his second-straight shutout and his fifth on the year. Palmer now has a 0.52 goals-against average for the season.
The Panthers continue their current six-game home stand on Tuesday, Sept. 25, when they welcome William & Mary to Vert Stadium. High Point is 0-2-0 all-time against the Tribe. The two teams last met in 2010 when then-No. 23 ranked William & Mary picked up a 2-1 win at home.

Meanwhile, UNC Asheville will play at Mercer on Wednesday, Sept. 26.  Game time is scheduled for 6:00pm.

Runnin' Bulldogs Play Longwood to a Scoreless Double Overtime Draw on Saturday Night
Farmville, Va. - For the third straight match, the Gardner-Webb men's soccer team saw its contest go to overtime, as the Runnin' Bulldogs' Big South Conference opener on Saturday night at Longwood went into double overtime before finishing in a 0-0 scoreless draw at the Athletics Complex in Farmville, Va.
Despite outshooting the Lancers 14-5 over the 110 minutes of play, including putting six shots on frame compared to Longwood's three, the Runnin 'Bulldogs couldn't find the back of the net in order to record its first win of the season.
The tie places Gardner-Webb at 0-6-1 overall and 0-0-1 in Big South play, while Longwood moves to 2-6-1 overall and 2-4-1 in conference play with the draw.
While the draw snaps GWU's losing streak at six-matches this season, or seven overall dating back to last year's season-ending loss to Liberty in the Big South Championship match, the Runnin' Bulldogs remain winless in 2012 and winless over its last eight matches dating back to lastseason.
In fact, the Runnin' Bulldogs' last win was in the first round of the 2011 Big South Championship Tournament over the Winthrop Eagles last season.
GWU has not won an overtime match since defeating Stetson, 2-1, in overtime, back in 2006 in the 2006 Atlantic Sun Championship Tournament match, and are 0-2-1 in overtime contests thus far this season.
The Gardner-Webb offense controlled the ball early and was firing on all cylinders, as the Runnin' Bulldogs outshot Longwood 8-0 in the first 22 minutes of play.
GWU redshirt-junior Satoshi Tatsumi, junior Jonas Nader and senior John Sargent tallied the first three shots of the contest, as all three attempts sailed high and over the goal in the first 12 minutes of the match.
In the 14th minute, the Runnin' Bulldogs' offense zoned in more on target, as freshman midfielder Craig Swaby had his first shot attempt stopped by Longwood goalkeeper Paul Hegedus, while Tatsumi's second shot attempt minutes later was blocked by a Lancer defender in the 17th minute.
On the ensuing corner kick, junior defender Marius Hammersmark played the ball into the box, where sophomore midfielder Riley Shelton put a head on it, sending it flying towards the goal only to have it deterred once more by Hegedus to keep the match scoreless through 17 minutes of action.
After Gardner-Webb's Tatsumi put his third shot attempt of the match high in the 23rd minute, Longwood would register its first shot attempt off the foot of Jared Windt at the 23 minute mark, which sailed over the goal and out of play.
As the game wore on, the offenses slowed down, as the two teams' each posted one shot apiece over the next 12 minutes of the first half, with each scoring chance flying offline to keep the match at 0-0 through the first 35 minutes of the match.
Perhaps the Runnin' Bulldogs best scoring chance in the opening half came in the 38th minute, as Longwood's goalkeeper was out of position when Shelton fired a shot toward the goal.  However, Lancer defender Mike Tegler made a heads up play to make the save and keep the visiting Runnin' Bulldogs off the scoreboard.
GWU's Scott Krotee would make his first save of the contest minutes later on a Vinnie Llana shot in the 43rd minute, while Shelton tired once more to find the back of the net this time by way of a header off a Hammersmark corner kick in the 44th minute, only to have Hegedus record yetanother save on the play.
Despite outshooting the Lancers 11-3 in the first half, the Runnin' Bulldogs couldn't find the goal, as the score set at 0-0 heading into the halftime intermission.
The second half started off much like the first, as again the Runnin' Bulldogs came out looking to score first, as Sargent had a shot go wide in the 54th minute and Nader had his shot attempt hauled in by Hegedus in the 56th minute, as GWU's struggles to score a goal continued.
The next 15 minutes of play would see both teams trying to take control of the match, as Krotee would again come to GWU's aid in the 71st minute, as the redshirt-senior corralled a Taylor Evans shot attempt to keep the home team off the scoreboard.
GWU's Swaby would again look to put the visitors in front with another scoring chance in the 75th minute, only to have Hegedus make yet another save for the Lancers in goal, knocking the ball away at the last minute.
Neither team would put together a scoring chance over the final 15 minutes of regulation, as the match would end at 0-0 in regulation to force overtime.
In the OT period, GWU tried to score off a corner kick in the 92nd minute, yet failed to get off a shot attempt, while the Lancers lone scoring chance off the head of Anthony Ugorji was knocked away by the Runnin' Bulldogs' Krotee in the 98th minute to send the match into a second overtime frame.
Both teams had run out of gas over the final 10 minutes of play, as neither team would register a chance to score in the second overtime period to finish the match in a 0-0 scoreless double overtime draw.
Krotee recorded three saves in goal for GWU, while Longwood's Hegedus had five saves over 110 minutes of play.
Tatsumi led the Runnin' Bulldogs with four shot attempts on the night, while Shelton and Swaby put three and two shots on frame, respectively.
GWU also held an 11-3 advantage in corner kicks and 9-8 in fouls, while Longwood was called for offsides seven times compared to the Runnin 'Bulldogs' six.
Gardner-Webb will remain on the road for its next contest, as GWU will jump back out conference play to take on No. 17 N.C. State on Tuesday night, September 25th, at 7 p.m. Raleigh, N.C.

Longwood will stay at home for its next contest as it hosts Campbell on Wednesday, Sept. 26.  Match is slated for 6:00pm.