Radford, CSU, HPU and Liberty Post Wins


Radford 2, VMI 1 (2OT)

Box Score

Radford, Va. - Senior Latrice Lee (Woodbridge, Va./Forest Park) scored both goals, including the game-winner with less than three minutes left in double overtime to lift Radford women's soccer past VMI, 2-1 on senior night.
Lee's goal in the 108th minute completed the comeback and helped the Highlanders (12-6-1, 6-2-1 Big South) pull out a victory for her team and fellow classmates.

Radford, the host of the 2010 Big South Championship (Nov. 4-7), will find out its seed for the tournament tomorrow evening after the league's regular season wraps up. The one thing they do know is that as the host, the Highlanders will play at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 4.
On the game-winner, freshman Julie Ruh'e slipped the ball to Lee, who made one move and toe-poked it past VMI keeper Heidi Beemer near post.

The Highlanders out shot the Keydets, 33-5 and held a 16-7 advantage in corner kicks. The VMI goalkeeper duo of Angela Redmond (5 saves/0 goals) and Beemer (6 saves/2 goals) kept Radford off the board for the majority of the match.

Despite the shot advantage, VMI (3-15-1, 2-6-1) struck first in the 59th minute. Christelle Ngondo headed home a cross from Carolyn Kenaley to put the Keydet up 1-0.

However, Lee would net the equalizer at 69:33 on a nice individual move into the left side of the box and then roofing it into the net.

Radford had two golden opportunities to win it in the 73rd minute. Lee had a low shot from about 10 yards pushed wide of the post by Beemer.
Just seconds after Lee's attempt, fellow senior Kathleen Jarvis looked like she found the far post with a blast, but a VMI defender on the post, got a foot on it and cleared it away.
Radford dominated the run of play for the majority of the first half, but the teams went into the lockerroom scoreless. The Highlanders out shot the Keydets, 17-3 and earned nine corners to VMI's two.
The Highlanders had several scoring opportunities, but Angela Redmond made five saves and the rest of their shots sailed high and wide.
VMI also had three scoring chances in the first stanza, but two shots went just wide and a third, right before halftime was saved by Radford's Alex Traughber.

High Point 2, UNC Asheville 1 (OT)

Box Score

In the last home game of her career, senior Jillie Johnston connected on a header in the first period of extra time to deliver the High Point University women's soccer team a 2-1 win over UNC Asheville on Friday night in Vert Stadium.

Freshman Kelli Joline started the play with a great step over move in the right side of the 18 to shake loose from a Bulldog defender before crossing the ball to the far post. Johnston ran onto the ball made a run to the post and dove to get her head on the pass, knocking it in for her first score of the season.

High Point fell behind early in the contest when UNCA's Amanda Knapp scored to put UNCA up 1-0 in the eighth minute. Knapp split the HPU center backs and ran onto a ball played back into the Panther's defensive third. The Asheville forward just managed to get off a shot with her first touch, sending it past junior Andrea Ritchie and into the net.

The Panthers battled back from the early goal and in the 15th minute Joline scored her team-best ninth goal of the season to even the game at 1-1. Junior Robin Pecoraro carried the ball into the offensive third and sent a cross into the box from the left side. Joline beat the Asheville defense to the ball and took one touch before letting loose a shot from the right side to the far post. The goal was Joline's eighth tally in a conference match, tying her with Charleston Southern's Marky Boyce for first in the Big South.

In the second half, High Point controlled the run of play, outshooting UNCA 14-5, but was unable to find the game winner. Asheville's off-sides trap held the Panthers in check throughout the game as HPU attackers were caught behind the defense a season-high 14 times.

The win by HPU improves the Panther's record on the season to 8-10-1, besting the team's seven wins from last season. High Point's 6-2-1 Big South record is the team's best in 12 seasons in the conference and its six wins is a new season high.

Ritchie made four saves in the game to win her eighth game of the season, a new High Point Division I record. The previous record of seven was set by Erica Brockmyer in 2005.

The win over the Bulldogs marks the end of the regular season for High Point. The Panthers will next prepare to take part in the Big South Championship in Radford, Va., starting on Nov. 4. Seeding and game times for the championship will be announced on Sunday.

Charleston Southern 3, Gardner-Webb 1

Box Score

BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. - In what was the final regular season match of the 2010 season, the Gardner-Webb women's soccer team fell to Charleston Southern by a 3-1 score Friday evening at Greene-Harbison Field.

Charleston Southern (12-6-1, 6-2-1 BSC) got on the board first in the 22nd minute, when forward Michelle Dennis was able to put in a shot in the back of the net on a put back following a save by GWU goalkeeper Chelsea Hearne.

Gardner-Webb (6-9-4, 3-4-2 BSC) answered back in the 32nd minute when forward Stephanie Benshoof put in a spectacular shot past CSU goalkeeper Amy Arroyo into the back left corner of the net.  The goal was the second of the season for the junior from Huntersville, N.C. and was assisted by midfielder Sonja Kienzler.

The Buccaneers reclaimed the lead in the 36th minute when defender Casey Bolduc chipped a shot over Hearne to find the lower right corner of the net, with the assist going to forward Marky Boyce.

CSU scored once again in the 56th minute of play when forward Tony Lashley was able to find the back of the net, with Boyce earning another assist.

Statistically, the match was played even between the two squads, with shots being tied at 18 and saves standing at 9-8 in GWU's favor, yet the Runnin' Bulldogs were unable to produce any offense during the second half of play.

Before Friday's match, the 2010 senior class was honored.  Midfielders Sarah Keyser and Melissa Battista were recognized in a ceremony just prior to the beginning of play.

The Gardner-Webb women's soccer team will next be in action next Thursday in the opening round of the 2010 Big South Women's Soccer Championship hosted by Radford University.  Opponent and match-time to be determined following the conclusion of Big South regular season action this weekend.

Liberty 1, Presbyterian College 0

Box Score

Lynchburg, Va. - The conclusion of Liberty's women's soccer game against Presbyterian College could not have been scripted any better, Friday night, at Osborne Stadium. With both teams scoreless through 85 minutes of play, senior forward Maria Owen tapped in the game-winning goal on Liberty's Senior Night in the 86th minute, giving the Lady Flames a 1-0 victory over the Blue Hose.

Owen's late-game tally in her final game at Osborne Stadium marks the 17th of her career and moves her into fourth place on Liberty's all-time points list with 45, passing teammate Silvia Betancourt.

With the win, Liberty wraps up the regular season at 7-10-2 overall and 4-5 in conference play. PC falls to 5-13-1 on the season and 2-7 in the Big South.

In the opening stanza, Liberty outshot the visiting team, 7-4. Approaching the 19th minute, Owen made a dash past the defender across the 18-yard box and fired an attempt at goalkeeper Jordan Broadway, but the shot sailed wide right.

Later, in the 25th minute, senior forward Caitlyn Riley settled the ball and belted it from the left side of the box. However, the attempt sustained the same fate, trailing off to the right side of the PC net.

The Blue Hose had a chance of their own just over two minutes later, as forward Kate Baker blasted a shot from inside the penalty area, airmailing it high over the Liberty crossbar. Despite two more shot attempts by the Lady Flames, the score remained 0-0 at halftime.

PC came out swinging in the second half, outshooting the Lady Flames 10-1 in the opening 18 minutes of the period. The Liberty defense stifled the Blue Hose attack the rest of the way, allowing zero shots.

With the offensive tide turned in its favor, Liberty's game-winning goal came with four and a half minutes left. Midfielder Laura Nyholt placed the corner kick directly in front of the goal line on the near post, allowing Owen to swoop in and tap the ball across for the 1-0 decision.

The Blue Hose's second-half flurry allowed them to outshoot Liberty in the contest, 14-11, and hold an 8-1 advantage in corner kicks. Senior Ashley Nyholt proved to be an impenetrable force on the night, making seven saves, all coming in the early stages second half. Broadway remained in between the posts for PC during the entire contest, recording three stops.

The Lady Flames will now prepare for the quarterfinals of the Big South Championship on Thursday at Radford. Seedings and matchups will be announced Saturday evening, following the conclusion of all Big South regular-season contests.