Radford & High Point Win; No. 10 Coastal Posts Tie


Radford Tops Northern Kentucky, 1-0
HIGH POINT, N.C. - Freshman Lucas Diniz provided the game's only goal in the 55th minute and Ryan Taylor made three saves in his second consecutive shutout, leading Radford to a 1-0 win over Northern Kentucky in the Flash Gordon Motors Invitational at High Point University on Friday afternoon.

For Diniz, the goal was the first of his collegiate career.  Nicholas Valencia sent a cross from the right side into the box, setting up a header for Diniz into the goal to the give the Highlanders (1-0-1) the lead.  Valencia's assist was the first of his career.

Taylor earned his second shutout in as many games this season - two of his stops came in the second half.

For the second straight game, the Highlanders had a commanding lead in shots and scoring chances - Radford outshot NKU (0-3-0) 17-9 and has a 33-16 shot advantage for the season.

Earlier in the match, Diniz had a pair of one-on-one scoring opportunities with NKU goalkeeper Toby Frohlich - one in the 29th minute and another in the 37th that was saved by Frohlich and set up a corner kick.

Chel Ho Park Kim also had scoring opportunities, with five shots (three on goal).

Radford continues play at High Point on Sunday against Adelphi at 1 p.m.

HPU picks Up a 3-1 Win Over Adelphi in the Flash Gordon Invitational
The High Point University men's soccer team improved to 2-0-0 in 2012 with a 3-1 win over Adelphi in the first round of the Flash Gordon Motors Invitational at Vert Stadium on Friday night. Senior Shane Malcolm led HPU with three points on a goal and an assist in the game.

Adelphi opened the game on the offensive and had High Point on its heels in the opening 15 minutes of action, putting up three shots and forcing a save by redshirt-freshman Kody Palmer.

HPU began to find the game shortly after the 15-minute mark, controlling the ball in the midfield and creating several dangerous chances. Sophomore Mamadee Nyepon earned the majority of the Panthers' chances including a shot from 20-yards out that forced a diving save in the 28th minute.

In the 35th minute, High Point broke through when freshman Ben Burdon converted for his second goal in as many games Malcolm received the ball deep on the right flank and shed a defender with his dribble before hitting a cross into the near post. Burdon shielded his defender and took the ball out of the air with his right foot, sending his shot into the far-side netting.

High Point continued to control the game following the halftime break and in the 56th minute doubled its lead on Malcolm's first goal of the season. Sophomore Leon Carby created the opportunity with a dazzling run up the center of the field. Carby carried the ball into the box and shook two defenders before drawing the goalkeeper and dropping the ball off to Malcolm for the empty net score.

The Panthers continued to expand the lead in the 64th minute when senior Shawn Sloan scored from 10-yards out to make the score 3-0. The midfielder secured a loose ball out of the air in the penalty area and cut back against two defenders before cracking a line drive shot past the keeper.

Adelphi managed to score a consolation goal in the 75th minute when James Diana converted from just in front of the goal mouth. The Panthers played the ball into the 6-yard box where a scrum developed before Diana pounced on the loose ball two-yards in front of goal for Adelphi's first score of the season.

HPU finished the game with a 22-9 edge in shots taken, putting eight shots on frame. Nyepon proved a handful for the Adelphi defenders all night, registering seven shots with two on goal. Palmer made three saves in the game and improved to 2-0-0 in his first season between the pipes for the Panthers.

High Point will look to win the Flash Gordon Motors Invitational on Sunday, Sept. 2, when they face Northern Kentucky at 4 p.m. in Vert Stadium. The contest will follow the game between Radford and Adelphi. The Norse just recently transitioned to Div. I after winning the Div. II National Championship in 2010.

No. 10 Coastal Carolina Draws 1-1 With Ohio State
COLUMBUS, Ohio - For the second straight game the No. 10 Coastal Carolina men's soccer team was forced to play a double-overtime game with only 10 players on the field when the final horn sounded.  This time the Chanticleers would draw with Ohio State 1-1 at the Buckeye-hosted Bert and Iris Wolstein Classic at the Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

The draw moves Coastal to 1-1-1 (1-0-0, Big South) on the season as Ohio State improves to 0-2-1 (0-0-0, Big Ten).

With 1:14 to play in regulation, the drama of the game escalated as Coastal's goalkeeper was shown a red card after coming out of the goal box to stop an Ohio State breakaway, setting up a penalty kick by the Buckeye's Chris Hegngi. Backup goalkeeper Scott Shewfelt was forced to come in cold off the bench to face the Hegngi penalty kick. Shewfelt played the penalty attempt perfectly and easily blocked the strike. OSU's shot on the rebound sailed just wide of the post.

The Buckeye's would mount one more attack in the final seconds of the period. With five seconds to play, Ohio State's Sebastian Rivas had what appeared to be a shot on an open net; however, Big South Preseason Defensive Player of the Year Kjartan Sigurdsson seamlessly stepped into goal and headed the blast off the line and out of play as time expired.

In the 73rd minute some fancy footwork by M.A.C. Hermann Trophy Watch List member Ashton Bennett afforded midfielder Justin Portillo an excellent look at the goal from 15 yards out. However, Portillo's rip was not to be as the ball rang off the crossbar.

Three minutes later Ohio State capitalized on a counter attack to score the first goal of the game off the foot of defender Alex Bujenovic.  Bujenovic's shot from the left side deflected off the back of a Coastal defender and just inside the right post for the Buckeye's first home goal of the season.

From that point on Coastal applied aggressive attacking pressure that quickly produced a trio of Chanticleer shots. The Chants evened the score in the 80th minute as Bennett, a consensus Preseason All-American, found the streaking Ricky Garbanzo with a perfectly placed cross from the left side. Garbanzo was able to take one touch and chip the ball past the Buckeye keeper for his first goal of the season.  The assist was Bennett's second of the year and his sixth point on the young season. Bennett has scored or assisted on five of Coastal's six goals this season.

Despite playing a man down, Coastal would immediately pressure the Ohio State defense in the opening minute of the first overtime producing shots on goal by Bennett and Uchenna Uzo.

The Chanticleers would out-shoot Ohio State 4-3 over the final 10 minutes of play; however, the Buckeye's keeper held fast and smothered each Coastal scoring opportunity that came his way.

In the 29th minute of action the Chants were afforded a prime scoring off the work of newcomer Tevin Skyers. After maintaining possession into the left corner, Skyers played a nice pass back to Henrik Robstad who proceeded to launch a cross toward the hard-charging Shawn McLaws. Unfortunately the ball was a touch too high for the 5-foot-10 McLaws.

The Chanticleer offense, particularly Ribeiro, continued to maintain possession throughout the remainder of the half, playing the majority of the minutes in their attacking third. However, the white and teal clad Chants would go to the locker room deadlocked in a scoreless tie with the Buckeyes despite holding a 5-1 edges in shots with two of those falling on target.

Coastal Carolina finished the match with a commanding 26-10 shot advantage and a 12-5 edge in shots on goal.  The Buckeyes were booked with for four yellow cards, while Coastal received a single yellow and a red.

Coastal concludes its time in Columbus on Sunday as the Chants take on Wright State at 2:30 p.m. in the fourth and final game of the 2012 edition of the Wolstein Classic.

Penalty Kick Proves to Be the Difference in Gardner-Webb's 2-1 Loss at Wofford
Spartanburg, S.C. - Gardner-Webb's Chris Davis posted the Runnin' Bulldogs' first goal of the season midway through the first half, yet a Wofford penalty kick and a second goal late in the first half pushed the Terriers to a 2-1 win in day one of the Big South/SoCon Challenge Friday night in Spartanburg, S.C.

The loss drops GWU to 0-3 on the year, while Wofford improves to 1-1 on the season.

Wofford tried to get on the scoreboard first in the third minute of the contest, as the Terrier's Ryan Hurst put a shot on frame which was stopped by Gardner-Webb goalkeeper Scott Krotee to keep the match scoreless early.

The Terriers continued to put pressure on the Gardner-Webb defense over the next 15 minutes, as the home team tallied three more shots putting a second one on frame in the 15th minute which again was deterred by Krotee.

GWU's first shot attempt came in the 22nd minute, as redshirt-senior defender Jon Ole Reinhardsen put a header on target which was hauled in by Wofford goalkeeper Andrew Drennan at the last minute to keep the Runnin' Bulldogs off the scoreboard.

Less than a minute later, senior midfielder John Sargent blasted a shot from 25 yards out that was heading straight for the right top corner of the goal, but was punched away at the last second by Drennan to give the Runnin' Bulldogs a corner kick.

Off the corner kick, freshman defender Bryce Wells got to a loose ball in front of the goal and put a shot on frame which was blocked.  The rebounded ball was chased down by Davis who fired a shot off that found the back of the net to put Gardner-Webb up 1-0 midway through the first half.

The goal was Davis' first of the season, while the assist was Wells' first of his career.

The Terriers looked to even the score up five minutes later, as Tuner Almond fired a shot off wide in the 27th minute and Alex Hutchins forced Krotee to make another save in the 28th minute to help the Runnin' Bulldogs maintain the 1-0 lead.

In the 30th minute, the Terriers would tie the score up at 1-1, as a foul in the box by a GWU defender gave the home team a penalty kick which Hutchins converted on, knotting the score up at one goal apiece.

Wofford took the lead in the 42nd minute, as again Hutchins scored again, this time on a shot from 10 yards out in front of the goal putting the home team on top at 2-1 heading into the halftime break.

In the second half both the intensity and physicality from both teams increased, as neither team wanted to give ground to the other over the final 45 minutes of play.

GWU's Marius Hammersmark put a shot on frame less than a minute into the second half only to have Drennan corral the attempt and keep the lead safe for the Terriers at the moment.

Over the next five minutes it was the Terriers turn to try to score, as Connor Davis had back-to-back headers hauled in by GWU's Krotee, who followed up with yet another save in the 57th minute on a another scoring chance by Hurst.

Gardner-Webb attempted to knot the score up once more in the 58th minute, as midfielder Satoshi Tatsumi had his shot halted by Drennan, who made five saves on the night in goal for the Terriers.

The next 20 minutes saw more fouls, 10 between the two teams, than shots, until freshman Craig Swaby blasted a shot which sailed over the head of Drennan and hit the top of the cross bar in the 79th minute, just inches away from tying the match up at 2-2.

Refusing to quit, the Runnin' Bulldogs again tried to score the equalizer late in the contest, as Swaby put another shot on frame in the 87th minute, while Reinhardsen would hit the crossbar with his shot attempt only 30 seconds later deep in Wofford's defensive third.

Krotee, who faced a total of 19 shots on the night, recorded a season-high nine saves on the night in the loss, while Drennan earned his first win of the year.

Reinhardsen led the Runnin' Bulldogs with two shots, one of which was on goal, while Swaby also posted two shots in the loss.

Gardner-Webb was outshot 19-10 for the contest, the third straight match in which the Runnin' Bulldogs have been outshot, while the two teams combined for four yellow cards in the highly heated contest.

Gardner-Webb (0-3) will return to action on Sunday afternoon, as the Runnin' Bulldogs will take on Georgia Southern at 1 p.m. on day two of the Big South/SoCon Challenge in Spartanburg, S.C.

Winthrop Men's Soccer Falls 3-2 To Georgia Southern
SPARTANBURG, SC- After rallying to tie the match twice, the Winthrop men's soccer team couldn't recover after yielding a late goal in a 3-2 loss to Georgia Southern, Friday evening at the opening game of the Big South/SoCon Shootout.

With the loss, the Eagles fall to 1-1 on the year while Georgia Southern is now 1-1. After 18 career meetings, Winthrop holds a slight edge in the all-time series 9-7-2.

After sophomore Sean Comer tied the game in the 72nd minute off a pass from junior Mason Lavallet. It was Comer's first collegiate goal. Winthrop had a good chance to take the lead moments after scoring as Achille Obougou's header was denied by GSU keeper Jack Falle.

The save by Falle proved to be big as GSU took the lead for good in the 75th minute on a goal by Reed Norton that was set up by Seth Prieto and Drew Ruggles.

Winthrop trailed 1-0 at the half after GSU earned a penalty kick in the 21st minute and Joe Hughes converted the opportunity.

In the 54th minute, junior Adam Brundle tied the game for the Eagles as he finished an opportunity set up by Obougou. In the 67th minute, GSU snagged the lead again on a goal by Witt Carlisle set up by Nick Lane and Norton.

Falle proved to be a big difference in the match as he made nine saves as Winthrop had the shot advantage 15-12. Winthrop's Tom Banfield suffered the loss in net as he finished with four saves.

Winthrop will be back in action on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. when it faces the host school Wofford College.

Late ETSU Goal Edges Presbyterian College Men's Soccer, 1-0
CLINTON, S.C. - The Presbyterian College men's soccer team appeared headed for overtime in its home Friday night matchup against ETSU, but a late Buccaneer goal with 4:47 left in regulation handed the Blue Hose a narrow 1-0 loss.

PC moves to 1-2-0 overall while ETSU improves to 2-1-0.

With time winding down in the second half, a loose ball found its way to Theo Yang, who one-timed a pass to Emmanuel Wilson in front of the net. The Buc forward pushed a shot into the left side of the net for the eventual game-winner.

PC goalkeeper Tyler Beadle (Douglasville, Ga.) made eight saves on the night, including five in the final half. The Blue Hose newcomer made a dazzling stop in the 61st minute, robbing David Geno from point blank range.

The second half saw the Blue Hose create their most sustained pressure, registering three shots on goal and five overall.

The Blue Hose created their best chance soon after Beadle's save, in the 62nd minute. Jonny Mercado (Lilburn, Ga.) played a through ball that split the defense and hit Ignacio Monchetti (Montevideo, Uruguay) in stride. The sophomore had only goalkeeper Ryan Coulter to beat, but Calhoun slid to deflect the chance. Freshman Greg White (Stockbridge, Ga.) attempted to head in the rebound chance, only to find Coulter there to make the save.

Mercado also tested ETSU in the 71st minute, firing a shot that stayed out of the net. Nico Fazio (Roswell, Ga.) also tallied two shots on the evening.

The two sides played a scoreless first half, as PC repelled the Buccaneer attack. Beadle made three saves and the home side defended seven corner kicks in the opening 45 minutes.

The Blue Hose will next hit the road for four straight matches away from Edens Field at Martin Stadium. On Monday, PC travels to Spartanburg, S.C., for a 7 p.m. contest at USC Upstate.

VMI Men's Soccer Edged 1-0 in Non-Conference Tilt at The Mount 
EMMITSBURG, Md. -- In a close non-conference game, the Virginia Military Institute men's soccer team suffered a difficult 1-0 loss at the hands of Mount St. Mary's University Friday night.

The Mount (1-1-0) benefitted from an unassisted goal by Mark Plaisance in the 23rd minute of action. Despite being down through most of the game, VMI (0-2-0) slowly built momentum as the game progressed. Freshman Kyle Forché put his two chances on cage, forcing Mountaineer keeper Peter Steve to make sprawling saves.

Forché led VMI's offense with his two shots while Ricky Siewers and Kip Zechman each took one attempt. The Mount's Zoncher Dennis led the game with six shots, but the Mountaineers leading scorer last season could not best either VMI keeper.

It was a chippy affair at Waldron Family Stadium, featuring five yellow cards, three of which were booked against VMI. The Mount was whistled for 15 fouls while VMI was charged with 13.

The Mount jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute after Plaisance put a shot past Kitchen, who made his first start in nearly a full calendar year, dating back to Sept. 18, 2011 at USC Upstate. Kitchen made one save in the opening stanza before relenting the cage to Alex Guerra, who saw his first career action for the Red and Gold.

The Keydets trailed in the first stanza in the shot column, taking three while Mount St. Mary's managed five. Two of VMI's three first-half shots were on goal. Forché had VMI's best chance in the 40th minute, taking a solid shot that required Steve to make a sprawling save to his right.

VMI opens its 2012 home slate next Friday as it hosts the Jay Sculley Memorial Tournament. Big South Conference foe Liberty University opens the tournament against Marshall University at 1 p.m., followed by the Keydets taking on George Washington University at 4 p.m. All games will be played at VMI's Patchin Field.