No. 4 Radford Advances to Semifinals over No. 5 Gardner-Webb
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (www.BigSouthSports.com) - Radford continued one of its most successful seasons in school history with a 4-1 win over fifth-seeded Gardner-Webb in the opening round of the 2012 Big South Women's Tennis Championships Thursday at the Asheville Racquet Club South.
Radford's top duo of Mia Drobnjak and Taylor Newman held off Jenny Lunde and Ioana Oprea, 9-8 (6), to secure the doubles point and give their club the early 1-0 advantage.
The freshmen tandem of Hannah Crawford and Meg Napolitano provided the other doubles victory with a convincing 8-1 win on court two to improve to a team-best 19-4 on the spring.
Drobnjak carried her impressive play into singles and extended the Highlanders lead to 2-0 with a straight-set, 6-0, 6-4, decision over Oprea at the No. 3 singles position.
Freshman Gemma Valls put Radford one win away from the dual thanks to a two-set, 6-0, 6-4, victory of her own on court four.
Not long after Gardner-Webb cut the deficit to 3-1 with a win at the top spot, Napolitano defeated Yasmin Doost, 6-0, 3-6, 6-3, to clinch the match for the Highlanders.
With the win, the Highlanders improve to 17-6 overall and will face top-seeded Winthrop in the semifinals Friday, April 20 at 10:00am.
Radford 4, Gardner-Webb 1
1. Erica White (GWU) def. Petra Dajevic (RU) 6-0, 7-5
2. Alice Hopkins (GWU) led Hannah Crawford (RU) 4-6, 6-3, 3-2
3. Mia Drobnjak (RU) def. Ioana Oprea (GWU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Gemma Valls (RU) def. Jenny Lunde (GWU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Ronia Hutterli (GWU) led Taylor Newman (RU) 6-4, 6-5
6. Meg Napolitano (RU) def. Yasmin Doost (GWU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
1. Mia Drobnjak/Taylor Newman (RU) def. Ioana Oprea/Junny Lunde (GWU) 9-8 (6)
2. Meg Napolitano/Hannah Crawford (RU) def. Alice Hopkins/Yasmin Doost (GWU) 8-1
3. Erica White/Ronia Hutterli (GWU) led Petra Dajevic/Gemma Valls (RU) 7-6, unfinished