No. 19 Coastal Downs Elon; Radford Battles Marist to Draw


First Half Goals Lift Chants Over Elon
CONWAY - A pair of first half goals and an outstanding defensive performance propelled the No. 19 Coastal Carolina men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over Southern Conference power Elon in front of 687 fans on Friday night at the CCU Soccer Field.

The win moves the Chanticleers to 4-1-2 (1-0-0, Big South) on the season as the Phoenix drop to 3-2-0 (0-0-0, Southern).

As per the usual the Chants deployed their attacking style of play early and often, leading to Ricky Garbanzo's fifth-minute goal. A Nick May blast from just outside the '18 was knocked down by the hand of an Elon defender inside the box, setting up Garbanzo's scoring strike. The sophomore forward calmly knocked the penalty kick past the Elon keeper for the eighth goal of his career.

Coastal would continue stay on the ball through the ensuing 30 minutes, drawing several corner kicks in the process. On the Chants' fourth corner of the evening, Justin Portillo launched a perfect ball into the keeper's box toward the crashing Uchenna Uzo. Uzo rose above the defense and headed the ball home for his first collegiate goal.  The score gave Coastal a 2-nil lead and Portillo his team-lead tying second assist of the season.

The Chants produced several additional scoring chances through the remainder of the half, but the Elon defense and keeper were able to keep the white clad Chants from further increasing their leading. Coastal would take the 2-0 lead and a commanding 11-0 shot advantage into the break.

Elon found a bit of the offensive rhythm that produced 12 goals in four prior games in the early going of the second stanza. In the fifth minute of the period (50th minute overall) Elon was the beneficiary of a Coastal own goal following a Gabe Latigue corner kick. Latigue's kick was sent high into the box where it was inadvertently deflected into the goal by a Coastal defender.

The Chanticleers would steady themselves and return on the attack over the rest of the game. 

In the late stages of the contest the Phoenix pushed everyone forward in search of the equalizer. However, the Chanticleer backline and goalkeeper Federico Bertele held strong until the final horn sounded.

Bertele finished the night with three saves, including two in the final three minutes of play to improve his record to 2-1-2. Elon's Nathan Dean recorded the loss despite coming up with five saves.

In all, the Chants outshot Elon 15-7 and held a 7-6 advantage in corners.  Coastal was booked with three yellow and the Phoenix with two.

Coastal returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 19 in a Big South clash at Liberty. The Chants and Flames split last season's pair of matches with Coastal taking a 3-1 win during the regular season and Liberty earning a 2-1 victory in the semifinal round of the Big South Tournament.

Radford and Marist Tie 2-2 (2 OT) in Highlanders' Home Opener
RADFORD, Va. - Radford got a pair of goals 1:42 apart in the first half from Bernardo Ulmo and Luis Grande, but two strikes from Marist's Stephan Brossard forced a 2-2 tie (2OT) in the Highlanders' home opener on Friday night.
Down 1-0 in the 31st minute, Radford (2-1-2) got on the board when Matt Janssen served a ball from the near side of the field to the middle for Ulmo at the top of the goal box - Ulmo headed it straight down and inside the near post to tie the match at 1-1.
Less than two minutes later, the Highlanders took the lead when Chel Ho Park Kim, working from the near side, found space in the middle and threaded a ball through to Grande at the top of the penalty box.   Grande then weaved around a challenge from Marist keeper Anthony Sokalski and deposited the ball to give Radford a 2-1 advantage.
Brossard put Marist on the board twice on a pair of Radford mistakes - his first goal came in the 28th minute when Wes Finch had the ball on a scramble in the goal box, finding Brossard for the goal into the open net, giving the Red Foxes (2-3-1) a 1-0 lead. 
In the 62nd minute, Brossard pressured the Radford defense on an attempted clear of the penalty area, taking the ball away and scoring into another open net to tie the match at 2-2.
Radford outshot Marist in the first half 8-3 and controlled possession.  In the second half, the Red Foxes turned the tables and outshot the Highlanders 10-5.  Both teams were even at 3-3 on shots in the extra sessions.
Brossard led all players with seven shots, including three on frame and two off of the pipes.  Ulmo had six shots for the Highlanders, with four on goal. 
Sokalski made four saves for Marist.  Ryan Taylor had a season-high six saves for Radford, including a finger-tip diving stop in the 94th minute on a header by Finch.
Radford continues its three-match homestand on Sunday against Marshall at 4 p.m.

Tatsumi Scores First-Career Goal in GWU's Heartbreaking 2-1 Overtime Loss at No. 23 Dayton
Dayton, Ohio - Gardner-Webb redshirt-junior Satoshi Tatsumi scored his first career goal in the second half, only to have No. 23 Dayton post a late second half goal in the final minutes of regulation and an early overtime goal to escape with a 2-1 win over the Runnin' Bulldogs on Friday night at Baujan Field in Dayton, Ohio.
The loss drops GWU to 0-5 on the year, while Dayton, who is now a perfect 4-0 at home, improve to 5-1 overall for the season.
In what was a very physical and testy match from the start, the Dayton Flyers offense attempted to put the home team up early, as the Flyers posted nine shots over the first 16 minutes of the contest.
The GWU defense stayed strong, as redshirt-senior goalkeeper Scott Krotee made three saves in Dayton's offensive onslaught, while the Runnin' Bulldog defense also blocked two other shots to keep the Flyers off the scoreboard and the match knotted up at 0-0.
GWU's offensive changes came shortly after, as senior John Sargent sailed a shot high of the goal in the 18th minute.
Minutes later, junior forward Chris Davis had his first shot attempt of the contest blocked in the 22nd minute, while freshman midfield Craig Swaby's follow up shot attempt was saved by Dayton goalkeeper Chris Froschauer to keep the match scoreless midway through the first half.
Each goalkeeper would make another save over the next six minutes of play, as Krotee would record his fifth save of the match in the 29th minute on a shot from Dayton's Evan McCreary.
The two teams would each see another shot go off target over the next 10 minutes of play, as the match remained scoreless as the first half ticked away.
GWU posted one last scoring effort before the end of the half, as in the 45th minute junior defender Marius Hammersmark played a corner kick into the box that found the head of fellow teammate and Norwegian Jon Ole Reinhardsen.  Reinhardsen's header sailed high and over the goal, leaving the score at 0-0 heading into the halftime break.
Both teams came out of the break looking to get on thescoreboard first, as Dayton's Daniel Berko fired off a shot that sailed wide right in the 46th minute, which was immediately followed by a shot from GWU's Swaby which was blocked in the 48th minute.
Krotee would face another Dayton shot in the 53rd minute, which sailed offline, and would then record yet another save on a David Abidor shot attempt in the 55th minute to keep the match tied at 0-0 through 55 minutes of play.
After another shot sailed high by the Flyers, Gardner-Webb sophomore midfielder Kevin Comvalius put a shot on line in the 62nd minute,which again was blocked by the Flyers' defense, but got the rebound back and fired off a second shot that this time was saved by Froschauer in the net, again deterring the Runnin' Bulldogs from taking the lead.
Each team continued to fire off shots over the next 15minutes of play, as Krotee hauled in three more saves to keep the Runnin' Bulldogs in the match with less than 12 minutes to go in regulation.
Gardner-Webb finally broke through in the 80th minute, as Tatsumi received a pass from Chijioke Akujuobi, and took a shot that sailedjust inside the near post and found the back of the net to put the visitors on top 1-0. The goal was Tatsumi's first of his career, while the assist is Akujuobi's first of the season.
Dayton looked for the equalizer right away, as Eddie Jones' shot missed wide left in the 84th minute and Andres Acevedo's scoring attempt was blocked in the 88th minute to keep the score at 1-0 in favor of the Runnin' Bulldogs.
However, time would not run off fast enough for GWU, as Dayton would tie the score up in the 89th minute as Daniel Berko chased down a loose ball and put a shot past Krotee and into the back of the goal to tie the match up at 1-1 with 20 seconds to go in the contest.
As the final seconds ticked down, GWU's Tatsumi had a shot blocked and sophomore defender Matt Bogart saw his last attempt drift wide left to send the 1-1 match into overtime.
In the overtime period, Dayton opened up the extra period with a shot 18 seconds in which was stopped by Krotee.  However, the rebounded ball fell back into the box where Abe Keller put the game winner into the back of the net from right in front of the goal to give the Flyers the 2-1 overtime win.
Dayton outshot the Runnin' Bulldogs 28-15 for the match and put 13 shots on goal compared to the Runnin' Bulldogs' five.
Krotee, who falls to 0-5 on the year, recorded a season-high 11 saves, while Froschauer earned the win with four saves on the night.
Gardner-Webb (0-5) will look to regroup, as the Runnin' Bulldogs will return to the pitch on Sunday afternoon to take on the Cincinnati Bearcats at 1 p.m. in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Marshall Edges UNC Asheville, 2-1
RADFORD, Va. - UNC Asheville became the first team this season to score against Marshall, but the Thundering Herd was able to hold off the Bulldogs 2-1 in the first round of the Radford Invitational Friday afternoon.
The Bulldogs (1-5-0) trailed 2-0 midway through the first half before freshman Trey Hemphill scored his first career goal at 23:34.

Marshall (5-0-1) had not allowed a goal this season before Hemphill's tally. They were the only team in the nation that had not given up a goal yet.   Asheville had not scored a goal since the first match of the season vs. Brevard on Aug. 25.

The Thundering Herd opened the scoring at 15:42 when Tom Jackson tallied on a shot from 25 yards out for a 1-0 Marshall lead.
The Herd made it 2-0 at 22:29 when Anthony Virgara scored on a tap-in.
Asheville quickly countered. David Parra made a pass to Hemphill. The Asheville native hit a rocket shot from 30 yards out that bounced off the right goal-post and into the goal to cut the lead to 2-1.
The first half ended with Marshall in front 2-1 The Herd out-shot the Bulldogs 12-8 in the opening half.
In the second half, Bulldog goalkeeper Dan Jackson kept Asheville in the match with seven saves. Marshall out-shot the Bulldogs 12-1 in the second half. However, Jackson's save kept Asheville within striking distance.

Asheville plays the second game of the tournament on Sunday when the Bulldogs take on Marist at 1 p.m.

Late Goals Sink Presbyterian College at Denver, 3-1
DENVER, Colo. - The Presbyterian College men's soccer team pulled even midway through the second half in its Friday night matchup at Denver, but two Pioneers goals sunk the Blue Hose in a 3-1 decision at CIBER Field.

PC moves to 1-5-0 on the year while Denver improves to 2-1-2.

Trailing 1-0, the Blue Hose evened the score in the 65th minute on Josh Carter's (Anchorage, Alaska) first goal of his career. The sophomore took a long Greg White (Stockbridge, Ga.) pass and beat Denver goalkeeper Oliver Brown to pull PC even, 1-1. White's assist marked the first point of the freshman's career as well.

Denver pulled away with two late goals, however, scoring in the 81st and 84th minute. The Pioneers used a Josh Wren goal for a 2-1 advantage before using a penalty kick situation to seal the result. PC goalkeeper Tyler Beadle (Douglasville, Ga.) made a tough save on a Mark Weigand penalty kick, but Chandler Crosswait cleaned up the rebound for the score.

Seven members of the Blue Hose each tallied a shot on the night, while Nico Fazio (Roswell, Ga.), Jonny Mercado (Lilburn, Ga.) and Byron Quinatoa (Santos Domingos de los Colorado, Ecuador) each notched one on goal. . Beadle made six saves, including six in the second half. Carter's score snapped a three-match goalless drought for the Blue Hose as well.

Denver took an early lead with a goal in the 17th minute. A PC foul set up a Zach Bolden free kick that Bolden crossed to Ryan Dodson. The Pioneer headed the ball to Theodor Remman, who headed the ball in for a 1-0 Denver lead.

PC stays in Colorado for its next match, a Sunday tilt at Air Force in Colorado Springs. Kickoff is slated for 2 p.m. Eastern time.