Men's Soccer Suffers Setbacks on Sunday


Runnin' Bulldogs Fall in Overtime, 1-0, at Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio - Cincinnati's Jacob Martinez's goal in the 98th minute of the contest allowed the Bearcats to escape with a 1-0 overtime win over the Runnin' Bulldogs in men's soccer action on Sunday afternoon in Gettler Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The loss, which is GWU's second straight overtime loss, drops the Runnin' Bulldogs to 0-6 overall on the season, while the Bearcats improve to 3-4-1 overall on the year with the win.
Cincinnati looked to control both the pace and the style of play at the start of the contest, as the home team posted the first shot of the match in the fifth minute, only to have GWU goalkeeper Scott Krotee knock it away for his first save of the game.
Krotee would once again be tested early, as after a Cincinnati corner kick and two offside's calls against the Big East member, the Bearcats' Matt Bahner fired off his first shot in the 14th minute of the opening half, which was deterred once again by the GWU goalkeeper.
After yet another save by Krotee in the 18th minute on a third Cincinnati shot, Gardner-Webb looked to get on the scoreboard, as freshman Brooks Asger put a shot on target only to be stopped by the Bearcats' goalkeeper Taylor Hafling in the 19th minute.
GWU would get another scoring chance in the 25th minute, as freshman midfielder CJ Moore blasted a shot which hit off the post and bounced out, proving to be just inches away from putting the Runnin' Bulldogs in front early.
On the ensuing play, Cincinnati looked to attack, yet again Krotee would be huge in the net for the Runnin' Bulldogs, this time stopping a Cole Denormandie shot to keep the match scoreless through 25 minutes of play.
Both Krotee and Hafling would make two more saves apiece over the next 16 minutes, as the Runnin' Bulldogs began to slowly take over control of the ball as the first half wound down.
Redshirt-senior defender Jon Ole Reinhardsen and sophomore midfielder Kevin Comvalius each had their shot attempt hauled in by Hafling in a four minute span, as the Runnin' Bulldogs outshot the Bearcats 3-1 in the final 10 minutes of the opening half.
The first half was fairly balanced throughout, as the Bearcats held a slight advantage in shots, 7-5, and shots on goal, 6-3, over the Runnin' Bulldogs, while the home team was also called for seven fouls compared to the visitor's three fouls over the first 45 minutes of play.
Carrying over the momentum from the end of the first half into the second half, the Runnin' Bulldogs looked to pounce on the Bearcats early, as junior forward Chris Davis saw his shot sail wide in the 48th minute, while fellow teammate Chijioke Akujuobi missed high on his attempt in the 57th minute to keep the match scoreless at 0-0.
It would be Cincinnati's turn to score over the next five minutes, as Zach Patterson fired a shot offline in the 58th minute, which was followed by another shot attempt, this time from Peter Jannelli in the 59thminute, that was knocked away from GWU's Krotee to again prevent the Bearcats from the first goal of the game.
Each team continued to put pressure on the other team's defense, as GWU's Marius Hammersmark looked to put the Runnin' Bulldogs in front in the 63rd minute only to have Hafling record yet another save in goal for the Bearcats, while just over a minute later, Cincinnati's Will Diebold had his shot attempt blocked by a Runnin' Bulldog defender in the box in the 65th minute of the second half.
Over the next 10 minutes, Cincinnati picked up its offensive attack, as the Bearcats blitzed the GWU defense and Krotee, firing off fourshots, three of which were saved by Krotee in between the posts, as the Runnin' Bulldogs' defense refused to break.
As the frustration continued to mount for the Bearcats, as Cincy was called for two yellow cards and a total of nine fouls in the second half, the Runnin' Bulldogs continued to work to score that first goal, as Davis' two shot attempts in the 82nd and 88th minutes would drift offline.
Gardner-Webb's last chance effort would come from sophomore Jalen Gathers, as the midfielder would put a header on frame in the 90th minute to force Hafling to make yet another save for the Bearcats.
As the final seconds of regulation ticked away, Cincinnati was able to get off one last scoring chance as the final horn sounded, only to have Krotee stop the Patterson attempt for his 11th save of the match and send the contest into overtime.
The Bearcats looked for the golden goal early in the extra frame, as the home team tallied three shots in the first four minutes of the overtime period, yet failed to find the back of the net, as one was blocked, one was hauled in by Krotee and the other sailed wide to keep the match tied at 0-0.
GWU tried to take advantage of its scoring attempts minutes later, as a header from Akujuobi in the 95th minute sailed wide and a Davisheader off a corner kick in the 97th minute was captured by Hafling once more, to again keep the clock rolling in the extra frame.
In the 98th minute, the golden goal was scored, as Cincinnati's Martinez played the ball to fellow teammate John Manga who played it back to a cutting Martinez whose shot flew over the top of GWU's Krotee and into the back of the net to give the home team the 1-0 overtime win.
The goal was Martinez's first of the season.
GWU's Krotee had a season-high 12 saves in the loss, as he faced an onslaught of 20 shots from the Cincinnati offense.
Cincy's Hafling earned the win, as he had six saves for the match for the Bearcats.
Gardner-Webb was outshot 20-13 for the match, while the Bearcats placed 13 shots on goal compared to the Runnin' Bulldogs' six shots on frame.
Davis led the Runnin' Bulldog offense with a team-high five shot attempts, as six different players put one shot on goal for the contest.
Gardner-Webb will kick-off Big South Conference play next Saturday night, as the Runnin' Bulldogs will travel to Longwood, Va. to take on the newest conference members in the Longwood Lancers at 7 p.m.

Presbyterian College Men's Soccer: Air Force Slips By Blue Hose, 2-0
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A strong second half from the Presbyterian College men's soccer team fell short as the Blue Hose fell to Air Force on Sunday afternoon, 2-0.

PC (1-6-0) matched Air Force (3-3-1) in overall shots, with 16, thanks to a second half that saw the Blue Hose outshoot the Falcons by an 11-5 tally. PC also earned four corner kicks to Air Force's one in the final frame.

Byron Quinatoa (Santos Domingos de los Colorados, Ecuador) led PC with five shots on the day, while Jared Mitchell's (Huntsville, Ala.) two shots on goal paced the team in that category. Eight different Blue Hose registered at least one shot against the Falcons.

Tyler Beadle (Douglasville, Ga.) made three saves, all in the first half. Tanner Osborne (Lexington, S.C.) entered the match late but did not see a shots.

Air Force drew first blood in the ninth minute on a Zane Dydasco socre. The Falcon collected a loose ball and fired a successful shot from 30 yards out to give the Falcons a quick 1-0 lead.

Shortly after the Falcons' goal, Quinatoa tested Air Force goalkeeper Matt Underwood in the 13th minute with a header, but the netminder made the stop. Mitchell also registered two shots on goal, one in the 27th minute and one shortly before the halftime whistle.

Beadle made his three saves to keep Air Force's lead at a minimum heading into halftime, 1-0.

The Blue Hose came out of halftime firing, holding an early 3-0 shot edge through the first 15 minutes. Air Force made the most of a 61st minute chance, however, receiving and converting a penalty kick on a shot from Kevin Durr.

PC continued to apply pressure but was unable to find the back of the net as Air Force hung on to win.

The Blue Hose return to Laurens County for their next match, a non-conference tilt against Davidson on Friday at 7 p.m.

UNC Asheville Men's Soccer Loses to Marist, 4-0
RADFORD, Va. - Marist got goals from four different players en route to a 4-0 victory over UNC Asheville at the Radford Invitational Sunday afternoon at Cupp Stadium.
The Red Foxes (3-3-1) scored three goals in the opening half as they out-shot the Bulldogs (1-6-0) 13-6 in the opening half. Marist tied homestanding Radford 2-2 in the first match on Friday.

Bulldog goalkeeper Jaron Bradley made his debut on Sunday. He played all 90 minutes and made six saves in the match.

Marist held a 20-10 advantage in shots and a slight edge in corner kicks, 8-7. Rob May and Kenneth Lingerfelt had two shots each for the Bulldogs.

Asheville gets back into Big South Conference play at High Point this Saturday (Sept. 22) night at 7 p.m.

Marshall Scores 1-0 Overtime Win Over Radford
RADFORD, Va. - Radford's fourth overtime game this season was ended when Jack Hopkins' golden goal in the 98th minute broke a scoreless draw and led Marshall to a 1-0 win over the Highlanders on Sunday afternoon.
An evenly-played match throughout ended on Hopkins' goal - he took a pass at midfield from Matt Freeman on the far side of the field, dribbled to the top of the penalty area and slipped past a Radford defender to score and keep the Thundering Herd (6-0-1) unbeaten in 2012.
The Highlanders (2-2-1) played their third consecutive overtime match, dropping their second extra-time effort.
Marshall outshot Radford 17-10, but possession and set opportunities were even throughout.
Neither team had a quality scoring opportunity in the opening 45 minutes - in the 48th minute, Marshall had its first chance to score when a shot was blocked in the penalty box and came out to Peter Bulat, who ripped a shot from 15 yards out at the right post, but Ryan Taylor was squared to the shooter and made the save.
A minute later the Highlanders had their best chance to score, when a corner kick found Matt Janssen on the back post - Janssen struck the ball cleanly with his head, but missed just high and sent the shot over the crossbar.  After that try, Radford had three shots in 10 minutes, but couldn't break through.
Taylor made four saves in the loss for Radford, while Daniel Withrow had two saves in the shutout.
Radford opens Big South play next Saturday (Sept. 22) at home against Campbell at 6 p.m.