Liberty Posts Big South Win on Tuesday


Liberty Picks Up 2-1 Overtime Over High Point on Tuesday
LYNCHBURG, Va. --  The High Point University men's soccer team went on the road to take Liberty to overtime, succumbing in a 2-1 loss on Wednesday in Lynchburg, Va. Senior midfielder Adam Sewell scored the Panthers' goal in the first half.

With the loss, High Point moved to 11-3-2 and 4-2-2 in the Big South Conference while Liberty improved to 7-6-1 overall and 5-1-1 in league play.

The game started fast with two Panther corners in just over two minutes and a goal by each team before the 11-minute mark. The Flames struck first when Kyle Breitmeyer scored on an assist by Johnny Torres. Breitmeyer beat High Point goalie Kody Palmer on his right side to give Liberty the lead 9:30 into the game.

The Panthers responded less than a minute later with Adam Sewell's third goal of the season. He received a right-to-left pass from senior Shane Malcolm and put in in the lower right side of the net to make it 1-1 at the 10:27 mark.

High Point had more scoring chances in the second half but the Panthers couldn't find the back of the net. HPU outshot Liberty, 9-5, in the frame while Palmer and Flames goalie Scott Sutarik each made a pair of saves to send the game into overtime.

The Flames' Sam Duininck scored the game-winner just 2:55 into the extra period. Uriah Bentick served a free kick from 20 yards out and Duininck headed it into the net to lift the Flames to victory. It was Duininck's third goal of the season.

High Point outshot Liberty, 14-10, in the game. Palmer totaled two saves while Sutarik made three.

High Point finishes the regular season with a pair of Big South games on the road. The Panthers play Presbyterian in Clinton, S.C., on Saturday and finish at Coastal Carolina next Friday in Conway, S.C. Both games begin at 7 p.m.

Liberty returns to the pitch on Saturday, Oct. 27 as it hosts Gardner-Webb at 2:00pm.

Fourth-Ranked North Carolina Defeats Campbell, 3-0
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Fourth-ranked North Carolina dealt Campbell only its second shutout of the season with a 3-0 decision Tuesday night at Fetzer Field.
Andy Craven and Martin Murphy provided first-half goals for the Tar Heels (12-2-1), who won their 8th match in the last 9 outings.  Cameron Brown added a 75th minute penalty kick and Scott Goodwin posted his 11th shutout on 15 games.
Campbell (10-5-1) saw its three-game win streak halted.  The Camels fell to 2-2-1 against nationally-ranked opponents this year and lost for the first time to an Atlantic Coast Conference foe in 2012 after earlier wins over NC State and Virginia Tech.
Despite Tuesday's loss, Campbell still stands 3-2-1 vs. ACC schools in 3 seasons under the direction of head coach Steve Armas.
The Camels mustered only three shots all night against a UNC defense that has allowed only four goals and less than 7 shots per game.  UNC held a 22-3 advantage in shots, 9-1 in attempts on target, and took 6 corner kicks to 3 for the visitors.
Ethan Hall finished with nine saves, but couldn't stop Brown's penalty.  The Camel keeper has saved PKs three times in five chances this year, including stops in wins against nationally-ranked NC State and High Point squads.

Tuesday's decision also marked just the second UNC victory in the last five meetings between the schools. 
Campbell claimed triumphs in 2006, 2007 and 2008, before the Heels won its last contest with the Camels in 2009.

Campbell returns to Big South Conference play Saturday with a 7:00 p.m. kick-off against UNC Asheville in the final regular season home match for seniors Mitchell Cardenas, Ben Iiames and Keegan Terry.

Radford Falls for First Time in Nine Games, 1-0 at Virginia Tech
BLACKSBURG, Va. - Radford's frustration in trying to defeat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg continued Tuesday as the Highlanders dominated play, but left Thompson Field with a 1-0 loss. RU has not won at Tech since 2000.
The statistics reflect the controlling play by the Highlanders. RU (8-3-4) outshot the Hokies 19-11 overall and 9-3 in shots on goal. It was Virginia Tech (6-7-3), however, that capitalized on its only real scoring chance of the game. Kai Marshall's header off a serve into the box by Jed Prater cleared the head of RU keeper Ryan Taylor and found the net. The goal came in the 60th minute.
Even down 1-0, Radford kept the pressure on the Hokies, but goalkeeper Kyle Renfro turned away each RU threat. Renfro tied a career high with nine saves, including three superb denials after the hosts had gained the lead. The Highlanders had three high quality chances to tie the score.
Jamie Summers snuck up from his defense position with just over 10 minutes to play and let go a laser from the top of the penalty box that found Renfro's hands. Less than two minutes later, Jannik Eckenrode beat Renfro with a touch only to see the ball trickle wide of the goal.
Bernardo Ulmo and Chel Ho Park Kim tallied three and two shots on goal apiece, respectively, but at the end of the night, Renfro was clean in goal, and the Hokies escaped with the win.
Radford controlled the pace in the first half as well, but never found the back of the net. Ulmo's back-to-back shots on frame in the 11th minute proved to be the best opportunities, but Renfro was up to the task on each effort. Dario Redondo's hard ground ball shot stretched Renfro to the ground to keep the game scoreless late in the half.
Taylor faced only one relatively harmless shot on goal in the first 45 minutes as RU outshot Tech 8-5 overall and 5-1 on goal.
The Highlanders do not have much time to reflect on their first loss in over a month. Nationally-ranked Coastal Carolina visits Cupp Stadium on Saturday for a 2 p.m. kickoff. The loss is RU's first in nine games since a 1-0 overtime defeat against Marshall on Sept. 16.

Longwood Falls to Navy, 3-0
FARMVILLE, Va. - The Longwood University men's soccer team dropped a 3-0 decision to the U.S. Naval Academy (6-5-3), who scored three second half goals to earn the victory on Tuesday evening in Farmville. Sophomore Jonathan Kukapa|Leesburg, Va. (Clarksburg Md.) notched three shots, including two on goal, to lead the Lancers (3-11-3). Longwood will play its final game of the regular season at Big South Conference opponent Winthrop University on Wednesday, October 31 at 7 p.m.

Three other Lancers also posted at least one shot in the match. Freshman Zach Corcoran|Martinsville (Martinsville) put two shots on goal, while senior Devin Pierce|Virginia Beach (Ocean Lakes) and sophomore Taylor Evans|South Riding (Freedom) registered one shot apiece on the night.

The teams battled for possession throughout the entire first half, with Longwood taking a slight 5-4 shot advantage in the first 45 minutes of the match. The Lancers had a chance to get on the board in the 10th minute when a corner kick by freshman Rhys Cairns|Washington, England (St. Roberts of Newminster RC School) found Kukapa, who sent a hard shot toward the back left corner of the net, but a diving save by Navy's Gavin Snyder extinguished the opportunity.

The Navy offense went on the attack late in the half in an effort to break the stalemate before the period expired. In the 40th minute, Jamie Dubyoski took the ball on a breakaway down the right side of the field before firing a shot on net, but freshman goalkeeper Seth Erdman|Hummelstown, Pa. (Lower Dauphin) made a strong save, allowing the Lancers to clear the ball out of their defensive zone and send the teams into the break knotted at 0-0.

Coming out of halftime, Navy took control of the momentum, taking a 1-0 lead in the 48th minute when Thomas Shilba gained possession of the ball, dribbled around defender and sent a shot skidding by Erdman to lower right corner of the net.

Longwood answered with an opportunity to tie the game in the 53rd minute, as freshman Will Lambert|Charlottesville (Monticello) lobbed a deep pass to Corcoran in front of the net for the one-timer, but the Midshipmen goalkeeper turned away the attempt to maintain the one-goal lead for his squad. 

Navy added two insurance goals in the latter part of the second half. The first came in the 68th minute when Eric Skogerboe sent a cross to the top of the box where teammate Grant Valenstein launched a shot past the outstretched fingers of a jumping Erdman to make it a 2-0 game. Dave Arnold followed with an unassisted goal from the right side of the box in the 83rd minute to score the Midshipmen's final goal of the night, sealing the 3-0 victory. 

Navy outshot Longwood, 15-7, in the contest and had a 4-2 edge in corner kicks. Tuesday's match marked the fifth meeting ever between the Lancers and the Midshipmen in the sport of men's soccer. Longwood still holds a slight, 3-2 advantage in the all-time series.

Seniors Evan Jones|Midlothian (Midlothian), Vinnie Llana|Raleigh, N.C. (Broughton), Patrick McDaniel|Midlothian (Cosby), Devin Pierce, Adel Sarras|Burke (Annandale) and Mike Tegler|Stafford  (North Stafford) were recognized in a special pregame ceremony.