Liberty & Campbell Close Out the Weekend with Wins


Liberty Holds Off South Carolina State for 2-1 Victory
LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Liberty women's soccer team continued its winning ways on Sunday, defeating South Carolina State at the Campus East Fields, 2-1.

The Lady Flames' pair of first-half markers came from freshmen Hannah Myers and Jamie Bouffard, respectively. Freshman midfielder Brittany Aanderud posted her fourth assist on the year, with the goal by Myers. South Carolina State's Blanca Barrio recorded the lone goal for the Lady Bulldogs, connecting on a penalty kick in the second period.

With its second win in three days, Liberty improves to 6-3 on the year, continuing its unprecedented start to a season, while the Lady Bulldogs fall to 5-6.

The Lady Flames wasted little time in the first period, igniting the scoreboard at the start of the ninth minute. After receiving a through ball, Aanderud split the South Carolina State defense and booted a shot at the Lady Bulldogs' net. The attempt deflected off Myers and went into the goal, putting Liberty ahead 1-0. The marker was Myers' first of her collegiate career.

South Carolina attempted to even things up in the 15th minute. Barrio sent a shot toward the Liberty net, but goalkeeper Karen Blocker made the stop to keep the momentum in the Lady Flames' favor.

Liberty added to its advantage in the 37th minute. Bouffard managed to pick up a loose ball inside the box and proceeded to lob it over Lady Bulldogs goalkeeper Danielle Murphy. The shot landed in the back of the net, giving the home team a 2-0 lead at halftime. Bouffard's goal was her second on the season, as she also scored the game winner in Liberty's 1-0 victory over George Washington, Friday night.

In the second period, Helena Pereira attempted to add to Liberty's total in the 56th minute, but goalkeeper Mariah Hebbe thwarted the sophomore's shot.

South Carolina State lit up the scoreboard in the 71st minute. Following a foul in the box, Barrio took the penalty kick for the Lady Bulldogs, sinking a shot in the upper left corner to make it 2-1. Neither team placed a shot on goal during the remainder of the contest, allowing Liberty to secure its sixth win on the season.

Liberty and South Carolina State finished with nine shots, apiece, while the Lady Flames held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks. Blocker played the entire contest in the net for Liberty, finishing with one save. Murphy played the first period in between the posts for the Lady Bulldogs, while Hebbe took over in the second half. Each player concluded the contest with one save.

Liberty continues a five-game homestand on Thursday, beginning Big South Conference play against Presbyterian College. Game time at the Campus East Fields is slated for 7 p.m.

Fighting Camels Win Catamount Classic in Double Overtime
Cullowhee, N.C. - Playing extra minutes for the third time in 2012, the Fighting Camels beat Western Carolina 2-1 in double overtime to win the Catamount Classic. Taylor Brown and Caitlin Schneider netted unanswered goals for Campbell, as the team moved to 5-1-1 on the season.
After winning their respective games Friday in the Catamount Classic, Campbell and tournament host Western Carolina (4-4-0) met Sunday afternoon to decide the weekend's champion. The Fighting Camels beat Louisiana-Lafayette 4-0 and the Catamounts defeated Big South conference foe Gardner-Webb 2-0 in the early match ups.
In the final match Sunday, the Fighting Camels struggled to possess the ball in the central midfield early, and the Catamounts outshot the Camels 4-1 in the opening 17 minutes of play. All four  Western Carolina shots were on-goal, but Campbell keeper Ryann Torrero was able to keep them all from landing in the back of the net.
The first goal of the match came in the 22nd minute. Catamount Samantha Hodge crossed the ball into Campbell's penalty area, and the pass deflected off the defense to WCU's Markie Studnicky. She was able to put her head on the ball and sneak it past Torrero from close range, putting the Catamounts up 1-0.
Campbell's best opportunity to score in the first half came in the 25th minute. Ashley Clark had the only Camel shot on goal of the half, but Catamount keeper Katie Jacobs was able to collect it.
At the break, WCU lead Campbell in shots 5-4. All five Catamount tries were on goal.
The Fighting Camels picked up the pressure after halftime. Campbell registered nine shots to WCU's six in the second half.
Campbell finally converted the seventh shot of the half with six minutes left in regulation. Sophomore Michelle Proccacini took a corner kick awarded to the Camels and found senior Taylor Brown in the box, who headed the ball into the back of the net, tying the contest 1-1.
In the final six minutes, each side took two shots, with Torrero and Jacobs tallying one save apiece. After neither team found luck on any shots, regulation ended tied 1-1.
No strangers to extra minutes this season, the Fighting Camels set up to play the third overtime match of the young schedule.
Torrero was tested once as Laura Greb had the only Catamount shot of the first overtime period. In the 99th minute, sophomore Melissa Messier nearly ended the game, but her shot hit the goalpost.
In the second overtime, the teams continued to battle back and forth. Campbell sophomore Alexis Prada had a shot in the 106th minute that went over the crossbar, and WCU wasted a corner kick opportunity in the 107th.
With only 63 seconds left in the game, senior Jeannie Borda sailed the ball into the penalty area with a flip throw in. Junior Caitlin Schneider won the ball over the Catamount defense and headed it toward the goal, finding the back of the net and ending the game 2-1 in favor of the Camels.
Clark, Brown, and senior Kirsty Meyer were placed on the Catamount Classic All-Tournament team, and Borda was selected tournament most valuable player.
Campbell moves to 5-1-1 on the season, and holds a record of 2-1-0 in overtime.
The Fighting Camels are back in action Thursday in Lexington, Va. to begin Big South Conference play at VMI.

Keydets Fall to Navy, 5-0
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Five different players tallied goals for Navy, sending the homestanding Mids to a 5-0 win over the VMI Keydets in women's soccer action Sunday in Annapolis, Md.

Navy (9-1) won its ninth straight match, and took the lead for good with an 18th minute goal by Ashlynn Soellner. A hard-battling Keydet (1-5) squad, led by five saves from Kirsten Hancock, held Navy to just the single goal in the first half, but four goals in the second half broke the match open and accounted for the final margin.

After early action in the midfield that saw just one shot over the first 7:13, VMI's Hancock faced seven shots over the next 7:32 of game action. Three of those were on goal, and the VMI keeper was up to the task on each, keeping Navy off the board.

Soellner, however, took a cross from Gabby McIntyre in the 18th minute and beat Hancock at the far post, putting the home team up, 1-0.

From there, VMI held Navy to just two shots on goal the remainder of the half, and Hancock stopped both to send the match to halftime with the score remaining 1-0, Navy. Hancock's five saves were the VMI highlight of the half.

As was the case Friday against Mount St. Mary's, VMI split time between its top two goalkeepers, with Mackenzie Harrmann relieving Hancock to start the second half. After Harrmann made her first save of the day at the 46:39 mark, Navy would add to its lead in the 50th minute. After a back and forth volley, Kaylie Davidson scored from 15 yards out to put Navy up, 2-0, off an assist from Taylor Batye.

The Keydets would counterattack with an Erika Boggs shot in the 62nd minute, but the try was wide. Still, the Keydet defense did not allow another shot on goal until the 73rd minute, when Sarah Martella tallied from 18 yards out to push the margin to 3-0. A header goal by Kelsey Learned in the 75th minute, as well as a one-timer by Jayne Woolard in the 80th minute, would account for the final margin.

VMI was outshot 38-1 in the match, but did make six saves in the setback. Hancock has now made 11 saves in the past two matches combined.

VMI women's soccer will return to action Thursday, opening Big South play by taking on the Campbell Camels at Patchin Field. Game time is set for 4 p.m.

Presbyterian College Women's Soccer Falls to USC Upstate in Second Overtime, 1-0
SPARTANBURG, S.C. - The Presbyterian College women's soccer team outshot the USC Upstate Spartans and battled in Sunday's match to the second overtime, but a Spartan goal in the 104th minute sent the Blue Hose home with a narrow 1-0 loss.

PC moves to 0-7-0 on the season while USC Upstate improves to 2-7-0.

Upstate's Rebecca Sanzsole ended the match with a long shot, launching a high chance from 35 yards away. PC goalkeeper Jordan Broadway (Chapin, S.C.) leapt and got a hand on the ball, but the shot snuck under the crossbar and in.

The Blue Hose outshot the Spartans, 20 to 17, and took six corner kicks to the Spartans' three. The loss marks PC's second in double overtime this season and the third overtime loss overall.

Catie Smith (Greenville, S.C.) led the squad with four shots on goal. Broadway made eight saves, stopping at least one shot in every period.

Tori Lopez (Snellville, Ga.) created a chance two minutes after the opening whistle, pushing past the Upstate back line and launching a shot from in close that goalkeeper Ellen Bright kept out.

Bright also stopped what looked like a sure goal from Smith in the 40th minute. The PC sophomore took a feed from Rebecca Miller (Pauline, S.C.) and charged into the box, but Bright challenged to make a point-blank save and keep the match scoreless.

PC took a 7-6 shooting edge into halftime, as well as a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks.

The Blue Hose continued to set the pace in the second half, outshooting the home side by a 10-7 margin.

PC came within inches of taking the lead in the 72nd minute, on another opportunity from Smith. A loose ball went over the head of the Upstate goalkeeper and Smith paused to corral it several feet from the empty net, and the pause allowed an Upstate defender time to move and block the shot.

The game stayed without a goal thanks to the save of the game from Broadway. A few minutes after Smith's near-score, Kenzie Major ripped a laser from outside the box that Broadway pushed away with a diving save to her left.

The two sides played an even first overtime before Upstate struck in the second. Miller took a shot that nearly went in in the 99th minute, but Bright punched the chance over the net.

PC heads to Virginia this week to begin Big South Conference play with a 7 p.m. tilt at Liberty on Thursday.

Gardner-Webb Unable to Hold off Louisiana-Lafayette, Drops 2-0 Decision Sunday
Cullowhee, N.C. - In its second match at the Western Carolina Invitational, Gardner-Webb surrendered goals in the 44th and 46th minutes and closed the weekend with a 2-0 loss to Louisiana-Lafayette.

GWU drops to 1-6 on the season with the loss.

The Runnin' Bulldogs' offense came out firing Sunday, immediately putting pressure on the Ragin' Cajun defense with shots on goal in the opening minutes of the match to challenge keeper Amanda Moorefield.

Freshman Tori James (Fayatteville, Ga.) put a shot on goal in the second minute of the match after finding space inside ULL's defensive zone. It was deflected by Moorefield, and freshman Shelby Hooe (Mechanicsville, Va.) took a shot off the rebound, but it was also saved by Moorefield.

Louisiana-Lafayette was able to settle and control the pace of play for much of the first half, as the Runnin' Bulldogs struggled to earn quality looks at the opposing goal after the early shot attempts by James and Hooe. GWU was outshot ten to three in the first half, and played without recording a shot for nearly 43 minutes straight.

The Gardner-Webb defense bent, but did not break during the first half, as a backline led by sophomore Addison Abee (Charlotte, N.C.) and junior Ele Margelos (North Potomac, Md.) held strong and appeared to be headed toward pitching a shutout going into halftime. Starting defenders Brianna Fraire (Clemmons, N.C.) and Whitney Emerson (Olive Branch, Miss.) played key roles in helping the Runnin' Bulldogs defensive effort in the opening half.

The Ragin' Cajuns struck with a Hayden Gibson goal in the 44th minute to put GWU in a 1-0 hole, heading into halftime with the momentum of the game in hand.

For the second consecutive match, Gardner-Webb surrendered a goal early coming out of the break, as ULL's Shelby Isley connected on a goal in the 46th minute to put the Runnin' Bulldogs down 2-0.

Gardner-Webb flipped its offensive struggles around in the second half, starting with a furious rally in an attempt to erase the two score deficit after the Ragin' Cajuns' second goal went through.

A young Runnin' Bulldogs team responded to the adversity of a 2-0 deficit by creating opportunity after opportunity to score and cut into the ULL lead, garnering twelve shots including eight on goal in the second half.

James recorded her second shot on goal in the 47th minute, and fellow freshman Brooke Kelly (Lawrenceville, Ga.) also forced the ULL keeper to make a play by putting a shot on frame in the 52nd minute of the match, but Moorefield saved both to preserve her team's lead.

Hooe fired a shot on goal in the 57th minute that was saved, and a threatening header attempted by Kelly in the 57th minute flew high of the crossbar as the Runnin' Bulldogs continued to knock on the door.

Louisiana-Lafayette countered with an offensive burst of its own, as Isley once again found space to get a shot off, but her shot attempt in the 62nd minute was saved by GWU keeper Amy Schmitt (Waxhaw, N.C.) to keep the deficit at two goals.

Gardner-Webb kept pressuring the ULL backline, refusing to let down despite being down 2-0. Freshman Samantha Gutierrez (Austin, Texas) continued her strong play in the midfield Sunday, gaining a good look at the Ragin' Cajun goal and letting loose a shot attempt placed on frame. Moorefield saved Gutierrez's goal bid, and the score remained 2-0 in favor of ULL.

An Arielle McCarthy Crum-Ewing (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) shot attempt was blocked out of bounds in the 68th minute, earning Gardner-Webb a corner kick. The ensuing attempt by freshman Tara Woelfel (Thurmont, Md.) was well placed in front of the Ragin' Cajun goal, and sophomore midfielder Megan Curan (Mooresville, N.C.) was able to get a head on it, but her shot attempt went just wide.

A save by Schmitt in the 71st minute kept the threatening Runnin' Bulldogs offense within striking distance.

Gutierrez got another good look at the goal in the 74th minute, putting her second shot of the match on frame, but another save from Moorefield kept the Ragin' Cajuns comfortably ahead late in the match.

A last ditch effort by the Runnin' Bulldogs to get back in the match came off the foot of Hooe in the 89th minute, but a Moorefield save thwarted her attempt to keep the match at 2-0 as the clock ran down.

Moorefield (4-4, eight saves) took the win for Louisiana-Lafayette, while Schmitt (1-6, four saves) collected the loss for Gardner-Webb.

Hooe (five shots, three shots on goal) led the Runnin' Bulldogs offensively for the fourth consecutive match, as the freshman continued her recent string of strong play up front for GWU. James (two shots, both on goal) and Gutierrez (two shots, both on goal) also put in valuable contributions for Gardner-Webb's offensive efforts.

Abee and Margelos led the Runnin' Bulldog defense, as each played the full 90 minutes for the GWU backline.

Gardner-Webb opens conference play with home matches vs. Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina on Thursday, Sep. 20 (6:00 p.m.) and Saturday, Sep. 22 (1:00 p.m.) this week. Fans can follow all of the action via live stats, as well as live video coverage of both matches, at

HPU Women's Soccer Falls at West Virginia, 6-0
The High Point University women's soccer team fell on the road at West Virginia by a score of 6-0 on Sunday afternoon in Morgantown, W.Va. The loss drops the Panthers to 1-4-4 on the season.
High Point played the Mountaineers fairly even in the first half and went into the locker room at the break trailing just 1-0 after a goal by Kara Blosser in the 22nd minute. HPU put up three shots on goal in the opening 45 minutes and had its best chances offensively early in the contest as both sophomore Sarah Sermonet and junior Taylor Parker forced saves by the WVU keeper in the opening 11 minutes of play.
The Mountaineers took control of the game early in the second half with goals by Kate Schwindel and Frances Silva in the first four minutes of the period to go up 3-0. Schwindel and Silva each added a second goal and Leah Emaus contributed with her first score as West Virginia nothced five second-half goals to win, 6-0.
Junior Jesse May made four saves in 66 minutes of play while freshman Ivy Cocklereece made one save in the final 24 minutes for the Panthers.
With non-conference play concluded for the season, High Point will begin its Big South schedule on Thursday, Sept. 20, when the team travels to Radford, Va., to take on the Highlanders of Radford University at 7 p.m. The Highlanders finished 2011 as the Big South co-regular season champions but lost to HPU in overtime by a score of 1-0 in the two squads' last meeting.

Longwood Falls On The Road At Cleveland State 3-1
CLEVELAND, Ohio. -- Longwood University dropped a 3-1 non-conference women's soccer decision on the road at Cleveland State University of the Horizon League Sunday afternoon in Ohio.  Senior Nikki Glisson|Mechanicsville (Hanover) scored the lone goal for the Lancers (5-3) in the 56th minute, assisted by sophomore Taylor Cave|Virginia Beach (Kellam) against the host Vikings (3-5).  Longwood has now completed the non-league portion of its schedule and will play the first of 11-straight Big South Conference matches against the University of North Carolina-Asheville on Thursday night, September 20, at the Athletics Complex in Farmville at 7 p.m.
Longwood yielded an early goal at CSU when Erin O'Toole scored on a corner kick, assisted by Vickie Havas at 9:25.  It remained a one-goal advantage for the Vikings at the intermission, before Glisson tied the match at 1-1 with her shot to the far post at 55:06, aided by Cave who played the ball out from the corner.  It was the first goal of the season for Glisson, and the first career assist for Cave.  CSU went ahead for good on an unassisted goal by Chloe Fadenholz at 65:54, and secured the outcome at 80:41 when Havas was successful on a double-assist from Frederike Dubeau and Taylor Vidovic.
Cleveland State took a 12-6 advantage in shots, including 9-4 in attempts on goal, though Longwood had a 3-2 edge on corner kicks.  Junior Kelsey Pardue|Henrico (Hermitage) and freshman Alana Mackey|Leesburg (Loudoun County) each had two shots for the Lancers.  Junior keeper Shelby Hall|Purcellville (Loudoun Valley) made her first start and appearance of the season and played the duration in front of the net for the visitors with six saves.
Havas had three shots to lead CSU, while keeper Sarah Wood played the duration for the Vikings with two saves.
Longwood and CSU were playing for just the second time in the sport of women's soccer as the young series is now tied at 1-1.