High Point Records Lone Men Soccer Win on Saturday


HPU Picks Up 2-0 Road Win at Navy
The High Point University men's soccer team improved to 4-0-0 in 2012 with a 2-0 win on the road at Navy in Annapolis, Md., on Saturday night. Sophomore Mamadee Nyepon scored two goals in the first 12 minutes to guide the Panthers to a critical road win.
For the second-straight game, HPU jumped out to an early lead as Nyepon scored in the eighth minute of play. A long ball was played into the box by senior Shawn Sloan and misplayed by the Navy keeper. The ball fell to Nyepon who put away an easy shot into the middle of the net.
The Panthers doubled their lead just over four minutes later as Nyepon scored his second of the night off a pass from Sloan. Sloan was sprung on the left flank and beat a defender before whipping a cross to the far post. Nyepon beat the keeper to the ball with a slide, connecting on the pass for a 2-0 lead. With his second-straight two-goal game, Nyepon now leads HPU with four goals on the season.
Navy worked hard to get back in the game in the second half with nine shots but managed to put just one on frame. High Point keeper Kody Palmer finished with five saves in the contest on his way to a second-straight clean sheet.
High Point's 4-0-0 start to the season is the program's best since joining Div. I in 1999. The Panther's previous best start came in 2009 when they began the season with a 3-0-0 record before falling to No. 1 Akron.
The Panthers next return home to face inter-triad rival UNC Greensboro on Wednesday, Sept. 12 at 7 p.m. The game is one of seven matchups between the two schools across seven sports that together form the HPU/UNCG Challenge. High Point is 6-14-0 all-time against the Spartans including wins in each of the past two seasons. Last season, HPU pulled out a 2-1 win in the final minute of double-overtime on a goal by Sloan.

Presbyterian College Men's Soccer Suffers Setback at Mercer, 4-0
MACON, Ga. - The Presbyterian College men's soccer team fell to Mercer in a non-conference road contest on Saturday evening, 4-0.

PC moves to 1-4-0 on the season while Mercer improves to 2-2-1.

Byron Quinatoa (Santos Domingos de los Colorados, Ecuador) led the Blue Hose with four shots, while Jared Mitchell (Huntsville, Ala.) put one on goal.

Tyler Beadle (Douglasville, Ga.) made five saves before Tanner Osborne (Lexington, S.C.) made his first appearance of 2012 and stopped two shots of his own.

The Blue Hose battled valiantly in the second half, despite playing with 10 men after losing Jamel Manning (Harrisburg, Pa.) to a red card shortly before halftime. PC increased its shot output with six in the second period and created four corner kicks.

Mercer scored a pair of goals in each period to take the win.

Mercer took a 1-0 lead in the game's ninth minute on a Sharpe Sablon goal. Richie Edmonson and Joey Heavner picked up assists on a low crossing pass that Sablon snuck into the net.

The Bears added a second goal in the 30th minute. Josh Shutter laced a free kick into the upper left corner and Mercer led by two, 2-0.

Will Betts headed in the team's third score in the 60th minute and David Murtaugh notched the fourth a little over eight minutes later, collecting his own rebound off of an Osborne save and coverting to extend the home team's lead.

Freshmen CJ King (Columbia, S.C.), Matt Manter (Columbia, S.C.) and Johnny Archer (Charlotte, N.C.) all made their collegiate debuts, entering the contest in the second half. Archer took the pitch as a field player.

The Blue Hose head to Colorado for their next two matches, beginning with a Friday matchup at Denver, slated for 9 p.m. Eastern time.

ETSU Tops Radford in Double Overtime, 2-1
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Bernardo Ulmo's early goal gave Radford the lead, but a late regulation goal and an penalty kick conversion in the second overtime propelled East Tennessee State to a 2-1 non-conference win on Saturday night.
Ulmo's strike, his second goal in as many games, came in the seventh minute for the Highlanders (2-1-1).  Luis Calzadilla had both goals (81', 105') for regionally-ranked ETSU (4-1-0), which entered the week No. 6 in the NSCAA South Region rankings.
Ryan Taylor made five saves in the loss for Radford - the Buccaneers outshot Radford 19-5, including 11-2 in the second half as they looked for the equalizer.
Ulmo's goal, which came just 6:29 into the match, was a free kick from 25 yards out that found the upper left of the goal, getting the Highlanders on the board first for the third straight game.  It was Radford's only shot of the opening half.
ETSU had nine shots in the second half's first 20 minutes - the Buccaneers finally converted when a loose ball in the penalty area found the feet of Colin Pugh, who played to Calzadilla for a one-time shot into the net to tie the match at 1-1 with exactly 10 minutes remaining in regulation time.
Radford and ETSU had a pair of shot attempts in the first overtime - Taylor was forced to stop both of the Buccaneers' tries.
With 4:57 elapsed in the second overtime, a handball by the Highlanders in the penalty area gave Calzadilla an opportunity - he buried the try to the left side for the golden goal.
Radford plays at home for the first time in 2012 on Friday, when the Highlanders host Marist in the RU Tournament at 7 p.m.