High Point and Campbell Win on Saturday


High Point Defeats Longwood, 5-1
The High Point University men's soccer team overcame an early 1-0 deficit to pick up a 5-1 win over Longwood University in the team's Big South opener on Saturday night at Vert Stadium. With the win HPU stays undefeated with a 6-0-0 record on the season.
Five different players scored for High Point on the night. Four different players had an assists in the contest led by defender Todd Ray who picked up two. It is the third time in six games this season that HPU has scored at least four goals in a game.
The Panthers controlled play from the opening whistle, putting up five shots in the first 15 minutes of the game but in the 19th minute the Lancers stole an early lead with a goal against the run of play by Anthony Ugorji. Sam Yardley found space on the left flank and hit a low cross to the far post where Ugorji ran onto the pass and scored from six-yards out.
The goal put High Point on its heels for a brief period but the team righted itself and soon tied the game with a tally from senior Shane Malcolm in the 26th minute. Malcolm deftly brought down an attempted Lancer clearance in the box and took a quick touch to the right before ripping a shot past the keeper and into the net from 15-yards out.
High Point took the lead just under four minutes later on freshman Erien Campbell's first collegiate goal. The Panthers possessed the ball at midfield and moved it to the left side to Ray. The senior center back took one look into the box before lofting a 40-yard pass to the right post. Campbell got a step on his defender and lifted up to meet the pass with his head, lofting a shot over the on-rushing keeper and into the net.
The Panthers continued to control the game in the second half, scoring a third goal just 23 seconds into the period off the foot of Leon Carby to go up 3-1. Once again Ray spurred the play out of the midfield hitting a ball into the box from 50-yards out. Sophomore Mamadee Nyepon flicked the ball on with a header at the edge of the penalty area to Carby who ran in uncovered at the left post. The midfielder brought the ball down and unleashed a shot from just in front of goal for his second score of the season.
High Point's offensive onslaught continued in the 53rd minute as the Panthers found the back of the net again to push the lead to 4-1. HPU earned a free kick just over 20-yards away from goal and senior Shawn Sloan stepped over the ball. The midfielder skillfully hit a curling shot around the Lancer wall and inside the right post for the goal.
Nyepon finished the scoring for the Panthers in the 58th minute with an authoritative header to make the score 5-1. Malcolm carried the ball to the edge of the penalty area, drawing three defenders to him before sending a square ball to Sloan at the right corner of the box. Sloan settled the ball before hitting a curling ball to Nyepon on the near post. The forward got position on his defender before rising up and hammering the ball into the net.
HPU finished the game with a 23-5 advantage in shots with 11 of its 23 shots on frame. The Panthers also earned seven corner kicks to Longwood's one on the night. Redshirt-freshman Kody Palmer picked up the win in net for High Point.
With the win, HPU improves to 6-0-0 overall and a 1-0-0 in the Big South on the season. The Panthers are now undefeated in their previous 11 games stretching back to HPU's last game against Longwood on Oct. 25, 2011. Longwood falls to 2-5-0 overall and 2-4-0 in the Big South in its first year as part of the conference.
High Point will continue its current home stand on Tuesday, Sept. 18, when the team will play host to Jacksonville University out of the Atlantic Sun at 7 p.m.. The Dolphins enter the game still looking for their first win, with an 0-5-1 record on the season, but coming off a 2-2 tie at Central Florida. The game will mark the first-ever meeting between the two programs. 

Meanwhile, Longwood's next match is slated for Tuesday, Sept. 18 as it travels to Richmond for a 7:00pm match.

Cardenas double leads Campbell over Loyola 2-0
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Mitchell Cardenas scored twice in the second half and Campbell defeated Loyola (Md.) 2-0 Saturday night at the Eakes Athletic Complex.

In a battle between two regionally-ranked teams, Cardenas provided strikes in the 49th and 81st minutes, while Ethan Hall made two saves to record his second shutout of the year.

Coming off a two-week break, Campbell (3-1-1) finished with a 17-10 advantage in shots, 6-2 in attempts on target, against the Greyhounds (3-2-1), who entered the match ranked sixth in the NSCAA North Atlantic poll.  Campbell was ranked 10th in this week's South Atlantic region list.

Loyola was the early aggressor, holding a 4-1 edge in shots after 12 minutes of play.  Larry Ndjock slipped a pass to Diego McQuestion behind the Camel back four in the third minute, but Hall charged off his line and made a foot save to keep the game scoreless.

Freshman Isaiah Page nearly put Campbell ahead in the 33rd when he curled a right-footed effort from outside the box that beat keeper Thurman Van Riper, but bounded off the junction of the cross bar and right post.

In the 40th minute, Dominic Marshall fed Ndjock behind the Camel back line, but the freshman from Germany missed wide of the left post.

Campbell held a 7-5 edge in shots over the scoreless first half.

Just 3:08 into the second half, Cardenas scored his first goal of the year.  The senior from Mexico City hit a low right-footed free kick that took a slight deflection around the wall and entered Van Riper's goal just inside the right post.

The Retrievers almost equalized in the 70th minute when Ndjock turned in the box and launched a shot that hit low off the right post.

Cardenas capped a long run diagonally across the Greyhound half of the field with a right-footed effort that curled over Van Riper and just inside the left post for his second goal of the season.

The double moved Cardenas into 23rd place on Campbell's all-time scoring list with 55 poitns on 22 goals and 51 assists.

Hall made his lone save of the second period in the 82nd minute on Connor Thompson's free kick that was headed just under the cross bar, but the junior keeper from Raleigh held.

Campbell won for the first time in the all-time series against the Greyhounds, who now hold a 3-1-1 edge.  Loyola won the first game ever played at the Eakes Complex, 2-0 on Sept. 1, 1986.  Loyola, ranked 23rd in the nation at the time, won a 1-0 decision in 2008 at Baltimore.

The Camels and Retrievers played to a scoreless draw in the 2010 opener at Buies Creek, before Loyola won 1-0 last year despite being out-shot by a 30-5 margin.

Campbell improved to 40-19-2 (.672) at the Eakes Athletic Complex since the start of the 2005 season.  The Camels are 2-0 at home this year, but start a four-match road stretch Tuesday at 14th-ranked NC State (7 pm).