Four Wins Highlight Men's Soccer Sunday


Radford Builds Early Lead, Beats Adelphi 4-2 in Men's Soccer
HIGH POINT, N.C. - Radford took control of the game with three first half goals, got contributions from four different scorers, and withstood Adelphi's second half rally for a 4-2 win on Sunday afternoon in the Flash Gordon Motors Invitational at High Point University.
Joe Mayer had the game's opening score and an assist for the Highlanders, and the first collegiate goal for Chel Ho Park Kim late in the first half  proved to be the game winner.  Bernardo Ulmo added a first half goal and Matt Janssen added insurance for Radford.  Luis Grande assisted on the first and final goals of the game.
Ryan Taylor was solid in goal for the Highlanders - he made six saves, with three in each half.
Omar Edwards had both goals for Adelphi - his strikes came less than a minute apart in the second half.  He got the Panthers on the board in the 58th minute, then scored again 51 seconds later to trim Radford's lead to a goal, at 3-2.
The first half was the difference - Radford jumped on the board early and took a 3-0 lead to the halftime break.   With 8:48 gone in the match, Grande played a ball ahead to Mayer, who slipped in behind the defense and capitalized on a one-on-one opportunity, scoring his first goal in a Radford uniform.
Less than seven minutes later, Mayer fed the ball to Ulmo, who buried a shot from the right side of the penalty area to give the Highlanders a 2-0 lead.
Park Kim struck with time winding down in the opening half - he took a feed from Dario Redondo and fired a shot from 12 yards out that hit off of Adelphi goalkeeper Ahmad Salamah and bounced over the goal line to extend the Radford advantage to 3-0.
Adelphi put three of its four first half shots on frame, but the Panthers were unable to beat Taylor.
After back-and-forth action in the first 10 minutes of the second half, Edwards scored the first of two quick goals when he flicked in a header in the 58th minute.   Shortly after his first strike, Steve Rivera sent a cross from the right side towards the goal and Edwards finished with another header to make it a 3-2 lead for the Highlanders.
Radford responded following the goals and outshot Adelphi 9-1 the rest of the way.  The Highlanders added insurance in the 89th minute when Grande fed Janssen, who shot from 20 yards out and scored to wrap up the game.
The Highlanders return to action next Saturday (Sept. 8) with a 7 p.m. contest at East Tennessee State.

Bennett's Golden Goal Lifts Chants Over Wright State
COLUMBUS, Ohio - For the third straight contest the No. 10 Coastal Carolina men's soccer team was forced into double-overtime; however, this time the Chanticleers came out on the winning end thanks to Ashton Bennett's 106th minute golden goal against Wright State at the Ohio State-hosted Bert and Iris Wolstein Classic.

With the victory the Chants improve to 2-1-1 (1-0-0, Big South) on the season as Wright State drops to 1-3-0 (0-0-0, Horizon). Moreover, Coastal captures the Wolstein Classic championship with a 1-0-1 record, while Bennett (1g, 1a), Uchenna Uzo (210 minutes), Ricky Garbanzo (1g, 1a) and Scott Shewfelt (7 saves, 0 goals against) were named to the all-tournament team.

After Bennett ripped a shot off the crossbar in the 106th minute of play the Raider defenders were unsuccessful in clearing the ball away.  Ricky Garbanzo, who tallied a goal in Friday' game against Ohio State, corralled the loose ball and played it to Bennett. The Preseason All-American took one touch before uncorking a blast from 16 yards out past the Raider keeper and into the back of the net for the game-winning goal.  The tally was Bennett's third of the season and first game-winner. 

Bennett nearly put the game away with a penalty kick in the second minute of the first overtime stanza; however, Wright State's Jacob Bye saved the attempt.

The Chants procured numerous scoring opportunities through both regulation and the first overtime, but were unlucky on several instances as the ball deflected off the crossbar a total of nine times during the game.

As was the case in Coastal's draw against Ohio State in the team's first game of the Wolstein Classic, the Chants dominated the pace of play to the tune of a staggering 31-11 shot advantage, including an 11-4 edge in shots on goal. Additionally, Coastal earned 14 corner opportunities to the Raiders' seven.  In all, 11 Chanticleers attempted shots during the match with Bennett leading the charge with eight.

Shewfelt, a junior, turned away four Raider shots as he recorded the first clean sheet of his Coastal Carolina career.   

The Chanticleer host the Coastal Carolina University Invitational from Friday, Sept. 7 through Sunday, Sept. 9.  Coastal will square off against Florida Atlantic on Friday at 7 p.m. before taking on Bowling Green on Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

Lavallet Golden Goal Lifts Winthrop Over Wofford College
SPARTANBURG, SC - Senior Mason Lavallet's golden goal in the 96th minute lifted the Winthrop men's soccer team to a 2-1 victory at Wofford College, Sunday afternoon in the final game of the Big South/SoCon Shootout.

Winthrop improved to 2-1 on the season as Wofford College falls to 1-2. The game was scheduled to start at 3:30 p.m. but got a late start due to an hour delay for lightning.

After allowing a late goal to force extra time, the Eagles didn't take long to capture the win as senior Mason Lavallet netted his second goal of the match. Junior Adam Brundle put a low free kick into the box that was redirected by Lavallet past the keeper for his first collegiate game-winning goal. He now has two goals in three games this season.

Winthrop took the lead in the 39th minute on a rip off the boot of Lavallet as the shot hit the post and found the back of the net. Lavallet received the ball just inside the box and just off center of the frame, blasted a shot that found the net for his second career goal and second in three games this season.

The Eagles seemed to have the momentum for most of the first half and finally broke through with the Lavallet goal. Wofford finished the half strong with a couple of shots and a corner kick.

To start the second half, Winthrop had a couple of early chances before Wofford grabbed the momentum and continuously knocked on the door until tying the match in the 86th minute. Bill Padula made a long throw into the box and Forrest Lasso headed the ball home for his first of the season.

Wofford finished the match with a 16-8 shot advantage while keeper Andrew Drennan finished with four saves and Winthrop's Tom Banfield had two saves to earn the win in net.

Lavallet, who came off the bench to score both goals in 31 minutes of playing time, earned All-Tournament Team honors as well as freshman Magnus Thorsson and freshman Jordi Lluch.

Winthrop will return to action next weekend when it heads to Norfolk, VA for the Stihl Soccer Classic hosted by Old Dominion University. Winthrop will face Virginia Commonwealth on Friday, Sept. 7 at 4:30 p.m. and then the host Monarchs on Sunday, Sept. 9 at 2 p.m.

High Point Men's Soccer Downs Northern Kentucky, 6-0
The High Point University men's soccer team continued its impressive start to the 2012 campaign with a 6-0 win over Northern Kentucky to clinch the Flash Gordon Motors Invitational at Vert Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Five different players scored for the Panthers who improve to 3-0-0 on the season.
Sophomore Mamadee Nyepon scored twice for High Point while seniors Shane Malcolm and Marty Stern, sophomore Taurean Greenidge and freshman Ben Burdon all chipped in with one goal. Senior Shawn Sloan quarterbacked the offense and tied an HPU Div. I single-game record with three assists on the day.
HPU controlled the game from the opening whistle and took a quick 1-0 lead in the third minute of play when Nyepon converted from close range for his first goal of the season. Sloan started the play, releasing Malcolm with a through ball into the box. Malcolm carried the ball to the endline, drawing in the center back and goal keeper, before laying off a cross to Nyepon who was making a late run to the far post. The forward tapped the ball into the empty net to give the Panthers an early 1-0 advantage.
The lead doubled to 2-0 in the 29th minute when Burdon once again provided a spark off the bench, scoring his third goal in as many games. A shot by Sloan clanged off the crossbar and bounced just in front of the goal line where redshirt-senior Ryan Bennett out-jumped his marker and headed it down to Burdon. The freshman, who had just entered eight-minutes prior, headed the ball over the keeper and into the net for to bring the score to 2-0.
The comeback effort by the Norse was made more difficult in the 32nd minute when Mohab el Tawila was shown a straight red after an altercation in the HPU box. The dismissal forced NKU to play the final 58 minutes a man short.
High Point quickly took advantage of the man advantage, controlling possession in the center of the field and creating numerous scoring chances. The Panthers broke through with their third goal in the 42nd minute when Greenidge found himself in space 30-yards from goal and unleashed a rocket of a shot into the upper 90 on the right side. The goal was the first collegiate score for Greenidge and it sent HPU into the locker rooms at the half with a 3-0 advantage.
The halftime break did little to cool the High Point offense as the Panthers continued to press forward when play resumed. HPU's lead grew to 4-0 in the 50th minute when Nyepon scored his second goal of the contest off a pass from sophomore Leon Carby. Sloan once again initiated the play when he reversed field with a pass from the right flank over the defense to Carby on the left side of the 18. The midfielder carried the ball to the end line before laying it back to Nyepon for his second tally and first multi-goal game at High Point.
Sloan continued to direct the offense with precision and in the 71st minute the senior picked up his third assist of the contest when he slipped in Malcolm with a through ball up the middle. Malcolm cut between two defenders and ran onto the weighted ball before beating the on-rushing keeper with a shot inside the left post.
The Panthers concluded the scoring in the contest in the 76th minute when Stern scored his first goal at HPU to bring the tally to 6-0. HPU earned a free kick just outside the box and after two feints Stern sent his shot into the wall. Stern followed his shot and hammered home the goal when the rebound fell to his feet.
High Point dominated possession in the game, registering a 29-6 advantage in shots and an 11-3 edge in corner kicks. Sloan and Nyepon each put up seven shots in the contest for the Panthers while Burdon finished with four off the bench.
Redshirt-freshman keeper Kody Palmer made three saves on the afternoon to pick up his first clean sheet of the season. Palmer improves to 3-0-0 between the pipes for the Panthers. A.J. Fleck made the start for the Norse and was charged with the loss despite playing just 11:17.
This is just the second time since moving to Div. I in 1999 that HPU has started a season with a 3-0-0 record, previously accomplishing the feat in 2009.
The Panthers will return to the practice pitch for the next five days as they prepare to head to Annapolis, Md., to face off with Navy on Saturday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m. The game will serve as the first-ever meeting between the two squads.

Eagles Use Strong Second Half to Shutout Gardner-Webb in Men's Soccer Action
Spartanburg, S.C. - In what was a tale of two different halves, the Gardner-Webb men's soccer team surrendered two goals in the second half of play to fall to the Eagles of Georgia Southern, 2-0, on the pitch Sunday afternoon at the Big South/SoCon Challenge hosted by Wofford College in Spartanburg, S.C.

The loss drops Gardner-Webb to 0-4 on the season, while Georgia Southern improves to 2-1 on the year with the win.

The Runnin' Bulldogs offense looked to score early, as junior Marius Hammersmark fired a shot off that was blocked by a Georgia Southern defender in the fifth minute of play. 

The GWU offense continued to put pressure on the Eagles defense, as freshman Craig Swaby put a shot on target in the 17th minute, which was saved by Georgia Southern's goalkeeper Jack Falle, while less than three minutes later fellow midfielder Lyssean Thomas had his shot attempt blocked in the 19th minute.

Georgia Southern looked to get on the scoreboard over the next several minutes, yet the Eagles were called for two offside's penalties and failed to convert on a corner kick to keep the score at 0-0 through the first 31 minutes of play.

GWU's Chris Davis posted a shot that sailed wide left of the goal in the 34th minute, as the Runnin' Bulldogs outshot the Eagles 4-1 over the first 45 minutes of play.

The two teams combined for 13 fouls and two yellow cards in the scoreless first half that was physical throughout.

In the second half the Eagles were the aggressor, as Georgia Southern came out firing by posting three shots in the first five minutes of play, putting one on target, which was stopped by a GWU defender, while the other two sailed high and offline.

After Gardner-Webb was called for an offside's call minutes later, the Eagles went back on the attack, posting four shots over a two minute span.

With the score still tied up at 0-0, Georgia Southern finally broke through the GWU defense in the 63rd minute, as both Seth Prieto and Reed Norton played a long pass to the far side of the 18-yard box to Witt Carlisle who put his shot into the back of the net to put the Eagles up 1-0.

Less than a minute later, Georgia Southern would take advantage of a penalty kick opportunity, as Drew Ruggles made good on the goal to push the Eagles lead out to 2-0 in the 65th minute.

Refusing to quit, Gardner-Webb's first shot attempt of the second half came in the 69th minute, as redshirt-junior midfielder Satoshi Tatsumi put a shot on frame that was knocked away by Falle.

On the ensuing corner kick, GWU couldn't get a shot off and was later called for another offside's to keep the score at 2-0 in favor of the Eagles through 70 minutes of play.

After a save by Gardner-Webb goalkeeper Scott Krotee on another Eagle shot attempt in the 74th minute, redshirt-senior Jon Ole Reinhardsen looked to put the Runnin' Bulldogs on the scoreboard, but saw his shot attempt sail high and over the goal in the 77th minute.

Five minutes later, off a corner kick, Reinhardsen had a header again sail high, as the Runnin' Bulldogs continued to find their first goal.

In the closing minutes, Gardner-Webb's Davis had a header off a corner kick blocked in the 88th minute, while Swaby's last chance effort in the 89th minute was once again stopped by Georgia Southern's Falle, as the Runnin' Bulldogs failed to score in the 2-0 loss.

The Eagles outshot Gardner-Webb 14-5 in the second half, while five of those 14 shots were on goal.

Gardner-Webb's Krotee, who had three saves in the contest, falls to 0-4 on the season with the loss, while Falle, who also had three saves for the match, earned the win.

Gardner-Webb had three players in Reinhardsen, Swaby and Davis each post two shots apiece, while both of Swaby's were on frame.

The penalty kick on Sunday afternoon was the third penalty kick that the Runnin' Bulldogs have allowed this season.

Gardner-Webb (0-4) will now look to regroup, as the Runnin' Bulldogs will have 12 days before they return to action to take on the Dayton Flyers on September 14th, at 5:30 p.m. in Dayton, Ohio.

UNC Greensboro Blanks The Bulldogs, 5-0
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The visiting UNCG Spartans recorded three goals in the first half and two in the second en route to a 5-0 victory over the UNC Asheville men's soccer team on Sunday afternoon at Greenwood Field.
Hakan Ilhan scored twice for the Spartans, with Ross Burki, Oddur Gudmundsson and Lukas Zarges all contributing goals to the UNCG total. The Spartan defense was also able to hold the Bulldogs to only six shots on the day.
Gudmundsson tallied the first goal of the day for the Spartans when he took a cross from Maximilian Shulz and put it past the keeper from five yards out. Shulz picked up another assist in the 19th minute, as Zarges headed in a corner kick to put UNCG up 2-0.
The Spartans went up 3-0 on Ilhan's first goal of the match, taking a cross from Zarges and scoring from point blank range in the 25th minute.

UNCG took a 3-0 lead into the break.
Ilahn got into the scoring column one more time, forcing a turnover and blasting a shot from 15 yards out that went into the upper left corner of the goal in the 56th minute. Burki scored his goal in the final minute of play, taking a long pass from Austin Miller and converting a shot from 18 yards out.
The Blue & White will be back in action next Sunday, Sept. 9, when they open Big South Conference play with league newcomer Longwood at Greenwood Field. Game time is set for 2:30 p.m. and admission is free to all games at Greenwood.