Coastal, Radford, Longwood, Campbell, High Point & Liberty Win


Harrmann's 11 Saves Not Enough in 1-0 Setback
LEXINGTON, Va. - VMI goalkeeper Mackenzie Harrmann made a career-high 11 saves and the defense in front of her handled a 30-shot barrage, but Kacey Kelley scored in the 22nd minute for the game's lone goal to give the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers a 1-0 victory over the Keydets in Big South women's soccer action, played Saturday morning at Patchin Field.

Harrmann's 11 saves were the highest total this season for VMI, as the freshman became the first VMI keeper with double-digit saves in a game since Oct. 22 of last year. The contest also marked the first time VMI had used just one keeper in a game since Sept. 1, when Harrmann posted a shutout against USC Aiken.

With the win, Coastal Carolina goes to 6-7 overall and 3-3 in Big South play, while the Keydets fall to 1-11 and 0-6 in conference action.

The visiting Chanticleers came out strong, beginning their offensive attack in the third minute. A Fia Jonsson shot hit the crossbar, but Jonsson was able to immediately follow the try. The rebound shot was turned aside by Harrmann, however, as was Kelley's shot in the sixth minute.

Harrmann made another stop in the 11th minute, but Coastal struck in the 22nd. That was when Jonsson drilled a long cross to the far post, and Kelley finished with a header into the right side of the net, staking the visitors to a 1-0 advantage. It was Kelley's sixth goal of the season, and came after the Chanticleers' longest drought between shots in the match, 10:19 of game action.

Coastal, meanwhile, continued to test Harrmann repeatedly, but the Badger State native was up to the task. She turned away Kelley in the 26th minute, and did so again in the 35th. After another Harrmann save at 36:26, Camille Christie of Coastal tried another shot in the 43rd minute, but it hit the crossbar, Coastal's second shot off the bar in the opening period. That marked the final shot of the first half, in fact, as the visitors took the 1-0 lead to halftime.

In the first half, the Chanticleers held a 12-0 lead in shots, with each team having one corner kick attempt.

The Keydets put together their first scoring chance in the 52nd minute, when Affronti drew VMI's second corner kick. Simone Jimenez got a head on the ball, but her try bounded wide right to keep the score 1-0, Coastal.

The Chanticleers came back by testing Harrmann in the 57th minute, and twice more over the next 10:02, but to no avail as the VMI keeper stopped all three tries. Coastal also put another shot off the crossbar during that time, as Cisca Okoko did so at 58:10, the third Chanticleer shot to deflect off the bar.

Harrmann turned another shot aside at 73:32, a header off a corner that she deflected, and the Keydets were able to get a shot for Liz Affronti just two minutes later. The try, however, was wide.

Coastal would try seven additional shots over the remainder of the match, five of which were failed to be on goal. Ashley Day hit the crossbar in the 79th minute, a stunning fourth-such shot in the match, while Harrmann made her final save of the day at 81:29.

All told, Coastal Carolina posted 30 shots to VMI's two. VMI, however, held a 4-3 edge in corner kicks. Neither of the Chanticleer goalies - starter Megan Spencer, who was pulled after just 7:56, or backup Faith Farley - made a save.

VMI women's soccer will return to action Thursday, taking on Winthrop in Rock Hill, S.C. Game time is set for 6 p.m.

Coastal plays the last of its three straight road games Thursday, Oct. 11 at UNC Asheville before returning home to host Presbyterian College on Saturday, Oct. 13.

Longwood Defeats Big South Opponent Gardner-Webb, 2-0
FARMVILLE, Va. -- Longwood University remained unbeaten at home in Big South Conference women's soccer action on Saturday afternoon, taking a 2-0 shutout victory past Gardner-Webb University at the Athletics Complex in Farmville.  Sophomore Kelsey McDonald|Kennett Square, Pa. (Unionville) scored what proved to be the game-winning goal in the 26th minute for the Lancers (10-4, 5-1 Big South), as the hosts improved to 4-0 in league home matches with the win against the visiting Bulldogs (2-10-1, 1-4-1 Big South).  Junior Kelsey Pardue|Henrico (Hermitage) added a late insurance goal in the 81st minute, as the program attained its 13th 10-win season in the sport's 19-year history, and senior keeper Kyra Byron|Richmond (Mills E. Godwin) gained the shutout in front of the net.   
Longwood controlled the match throughout and led 1-0 at the intermission after McDonald scored the opening goal at 25:45, finishing with a hard shot into the back of the net after collecting a loose ball in the left side of the box.  It was McDonald's third goal this season, and her second goal in two matches, as the Lancers led 1-0 at the intermission despite having a 14-0 advantage in shots.  Pardue, who leads the Big South in scoring with 17 points (six goals, five assists), scored at 80:49 when she collected her own rebound from a saved penalty-kick attempt and promptly placed the ball back into the net for her sixth goal this fall.
Longwood had a 22-2 advantage in shots, including 10-2 in attempts on goal, and it was 9-2 on corner kicks.  Pardue had six shots, four on goal, while McDonald added four shots, one on goal.  Byron played the duration in front for the Lancers with two saves en route to her fifth shutout this season, and the 12th shutout of her career to rank sixth all-time.
Ashley Carmean and Shelby Hooe each had one shot, on goal, for Gardner-Webb, while Amy Schmitt, who had the PK stop, played the duration for the Bulldogs with eight saves.
Longwood and Gardner-Webb were playing for the third time in the sport of women's soccer, though for the first time since 1998, and the Lancers now lead the series, 2-1.

Longwood will play its next three conference matches on the road, beginning on Thursday, October 11, at Campbell University in Buies Creek, North Carolina at 7 p.m.

Gardner-Webb's next contest is slated for Thursday, Oct. 11 at home vs. Radford.  Game time is scheduled for 7:00pm.

Schepler Nets Hat Trick in 5-1 Win Over UNC Asheville
Senior Danielle Schepler scored three goals in the span of seven minutes to propel the High Point University women's soccer team to a 5-1 win over UNC Asheville in Big South action on Saturday afternoon at Vert Stadium.
Schepler had two goals in her High Point career before coming off the bench and netting goals in the 21st, 23rd and 28th minutes of play on Saturday. The hat trick by Schepler is the first by an HPU women's soccer player since Kelli Joline notched three goals in a win over Gardner-Webb on Oct. 9, 2010.
The win by High Point is its third straight and its fourth in five games. The Panthers improve to 5-4-6 overall in 2012 and stay undefeated in Big South play with a 4-0-2 mark in six conference games. High Point is undefeated at Vert Stadium this season with a 3-0-2 record in five home games. UNC Asheville drops to 3-10-0 overall and 1-5-0 in the Big South with the loss.
The Panthers began the game on their heels as UNC Asheville opened as the aggressors as Kaitlyn Eckert found the back of the net in the seventh minute to give the Bulldogs the early 1-0 lead.
HPU started to gain control of the game after 15 minutes and leveled the score in the 21st minute when Schepler controlled a rebound in the box and scored from six-yards out. Sophomore Jacky Kessler managed to turn the corner on her defender on the right flank and hit a low cross which the Asheville goalie dove to try and hit away. The rebound fell right to the feet of Schepler who deposited the ball into the net for her first score of the season.
Schepler picked up her second goal of the game just 88 seconds later when she scored on a breakaway against the Bulldogs keeper to put HPU ahead, 2-1. Becca Hemby hit a long ball over the top of the Asheville backline for Schepler to run onto. The forward made a run off the back shoulder of the defender and avoided the Asheville keeper. The defender and keeper collided, allowing Schepler to score with a shot on an empty net.
Schepler completed her hat trick in the 28th minute off a through ball from junior Taylor Parker. Parker played the ball between Schepler and junior Kelli Joline along the Asheville backline. Joline dummied the ball after coming back from an offsides position allowing Schepler to run onto the pass and score with a shot from 15-yards away.
High Point continued to push numbers forward and would add its fourth goal of the half in the 32nd minute as Joline got on the score sheet with a shot from 10-yards out. Parker picked up her second assist of the day after finding Joline open on the right edge of the box. Joline took one touch around the outside back before ripping a shot into the upper netting. The goal was Joline's third of the season.
After notching two assists in the first half, Parker got a goal for herself in the 58th minute to bring the score to 5-1 on the day. Senior midfielder Jenny Butler started the play with a curling pass from the left side of the field to the far post. Senior Janay Whittaker made a run to the post and played the ball back to the center of the penalty area where Parker was open and scored her fourth goal of the season with a shot past the diving keeper.
High Point finished the game with 29 shots including a season-high 16 on frame. Parker had eight shots in the game while Hemby and Schepler each had four. After allowing five shots in the first 15 minutes of action, HPU's defense held UNC Asheville to just three shots over the final 75 minutes. Freshman Ivy Cocklereece got the start and made three first-half saves to pick up her second-straight win.
The Panthers are off until Thursday, Oct. 11, when they will play host to Liberty University at 7 p.m. The Flames are 8-5-1 overall and 2-2-1 in Big South action in 2012. HPU is 9-11-2 all-time in 22 meetings with Liberty. Last season, High Point picked up a 1-0 win over the Flames at Vert Stadium on a Joline penalty kick.

The Bulldogs return home for their next match as they host Coastal Carolina at 3:00pm.

Campbell Downs Presbyterian, 2-1
Buies Creek, N.C. - Despite a second half surge from the Blue Hose, Campbell defeated Presbyterian 2-1 Saturday night at Eakes Athletic Complex, earning the ninth win of the season. Kirsty Meyer and Melissa Messier each scored in the first half to put the Fighting Camels ahead.

The Camels first struck in the 13th minute. Sophomore Ashley Clark put the ball in the penalty area to senior Kirsty Meyer, who mishandled the pass. Sophomore Michelle Procaccini collected the miscue, had her shot blocked, but poked the ball to Meyer from the ground. Meyer shot from the top of the six yard box and hit it in the top left corner for her first goal of the year, making the score 1-0.

Four minutes later, Campbell had another opportunity as Clark crossed the ball to Meyer, who had an open shot, but hit it wide.

For the second score, Meyer crossed the ball to sophomore Melissa Messier, who had a try on the goal in the 23rd minute. Presbyterian keeper Sydney Fontenot mishandled the save, and the ball crept across the goal line, making the score 2-0 in favor of Campbell. The goal was Messier's third in 2012.

The best scoring opportunity of the first half for the Blue Hose came in the 30th minute as Rebecca Miller had a breakaway, but senior keeper Ryann Torrero made a sliding stop before Miller was able to have a shot.

The final try of the half for the Camels came just inside the final minute. Sophomore Kellsey Costello-Mays had a try from 30 yards out and Fontenot had to tip the ball over the crossbar to record the save.

The first half ended 2-0 with the Camels holding the lead. The Fighting Camels had the shot advantage 13-2 over the Blue Hose. Fontenot recorded six saves, while Torrero faced no shots on goal.

The tally remained 2-0 until the Blue Hose got on the scoreboard in the 74th minute. Brittany Whitson crossed the ball into the box where Sara Simpson settled it. Simpson had a shot from just outside the six yard box and put it in the left side of the goal past Torrero to bring the score to 2-1.
The Fighting Camels were able to stop the three other Presbyterian shots that were on-goal to preserve the lead. Campbell finished with 14 shots in the second half, with six on-goal.
Campbell finished the game outshooting Presbyterian 25-6, the most shots taken by the Camels this season. Torrero finished the game with three saves, all in the second period.
The next game for the Fighting Camels is Thursday, October 11 at 7 p.m. Campbell will host Big South Conference newcomer Longwood at Eakes Athletic Complex.

Meanwhile, Presbyterian College will return home to take on Charleston Southern on Thursday, Oct. 11.  Game time is slated for 7:00pm.

Ruh'e Posts a Pair of Goals as Radford Defeats Charleston Southern, 3-0
RADFORD, Va. - Junior Julie Ruh'e (Monrovia, Md./Urbana) scored two goals and Radford women's soccer extended its unbeaten and winning streaks to nine and five matches, respectively, with 3-0 victory over Charleston Southern in Big South action on Saturday afternoon from Cupp Memorial Stadium.
It was Ruh'e's fourth multi-goal effort of her career and second this season as the Highlanders (9-2-1, 5-0-1 Big South) posted their second straight shutout and fourth in the last five matches.
Junior Che' Brown (Manassas Park, Va./Manassas Park) made six saves to post her sixth shutout of the season and 20th in her career. With the clean sheet, she moves into second all-time, surpassing Nyiesha Ford for second in the program's annals.
Radford amassed a season-high 31 shots, while the Buccaneers (5-7-1, 3-3) generated 10. A trifecta of Highlanders charted six shots apiece, while Rebecca Hollstegge recorded a team-best three for CSU. Caitlin Cody made eight saves for the Buccaneers.
In the 12th minute, senior Mary Wiley (Radford, Va./Radford) played a perfect thru ball between two defenders and Ruh'e, who timed her run perfectly, gathered it on the left side of the box and finished far post from 15 yards out.
Ruh'e made it 2-0 when a cross deflected off a defender directly to her, and she buried it from the penalty spot in the 24th minute.
Junior Sahar Aflaki (Gainesville, Va./Battlefield) made it 3-0 in the 73rd minute on a breakaway that was set up by sophomore Kara Nay (Montclair, Va./Forest Park).
Radford heads back on the road on Thursday, Oct. 11 when it travels to Gardner-Webb, while Charleston Southern completes a three-match road swing at Presbyterian on Thursday. Both contests are scheduled for 7:00 p.m

Liberty Moves Past Winthrop with Pair of First Half Goals
LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Liberty women's soccer team got back to its winning ways on Homecoming Saturday, defeating Winthrop at the East Campus Fields, 2-0. Head coach Jessica Hain's squad is now 4-0-1 on the season at the facility.

With the victory, Liberty moves to 9-5-1 overall and 3-2-1 in Big South action. Winthrop falls to 6-6-1 on the year and 3-2-1 in conference play.

Liberty received first half goals from Helena Pereira and Lauren Stell. Midifielder Brittany Aanderud also earned her team-leading fifth assist on the season with a helper on the goal by Stell.

Blocker picks up her league-leading seventh shutout of the season, extending her school record to 18 for her career.

After a shot by freshman Jaime Bouffard was blocked in the 10th minute, the Lady Eagles nearly lit up the scoreboard in the 14th minute.

From just behind midfield, senior midfielder lofted a pass ahead to forward Devin Puckett. The sophomore moved by the Liberty defense, leaving the Lady Eagle one-on-one with Block. Puckett chipped at shot to the left, but a diving Blocker got a hand on the ball and deflected the attempt wide of the goal.

Liberty also had a chance at a goal during the same minute. Pushing the ball down field quickly, freshman Crystal Elmers blasted a shot which ricocheted off the left post, keeping the game scoreless.

With Liberty controlling possession for most of the period 28th minute, freshman Alex Mack got a good look at the Winthrop net, firing a shot from the right side. However, goalkeeper Amelia Henderson made the grab, preventing Liberty from gaining the advantage.

The Lady Flames broke up the stalemate in the 38th minute thanks to Pereira's third goal of the season. With Henderson out of the box, Pereira busted through the Lady Eagles' defense and placed the ball into a wide open net to put Liberty ahead, 1-0.

Stell's fourth goal on the year added to Liberty's advantage in the 43rd minute. Following a corner kick by Aanderud, the ball landed in front of the goal mouth, where Stell put a foot on it and placed into the back of the net. The marker ultimately gave the Lady Flames a 2-0 lead at halftime.

Winthrop doubled its shot count in the second period, but was unable to find the net. The Lady Eagles posted four shots on goal in the period, including three by sophomore Grace Radler. Blocker thwarted all three attempts, which occurred in the 60th, 64th and 79th minutes, respectively.

The Lady Flames also fired upon the Winthrop net four times during the period. Lady Eagles goalkeeper Sarah Schippers played the entire second period for the visitors, thwarting a couple of Liberty attempts with diving saves.

In the 84th minute, a crossing pass from forward Megan Warner to Elmers set up the freshman for a shot on goal. Elmers ripped a shot at the net, but Schippers lunged at the shot and snatched it from midair for her third save of the contest.

One last save on both ends from Blocker and Schippers gave way the 2-0 final.

Liberty outshot Winthrop, 20-12, and held a 9-4 advantage in corner kicks. Henderson played the opening period in the net for Winthrop, finishing with three saves, while Schippers concluded the contest with four. Blocker closed out the matchup with seven saves in 90 minutes of play.

Winthrop heads to VMI on Thursday for matchup with the Keydets at 6 p.m.

Liberty continues Big South play on the road, Thursday, taking on High Point. Game time is slated for 7 p.m.

The Lady Eagles return to action on Thursday, October 11 when they host VMI in a 6:00 p.m. contest at Eagle Field.