Coastal, Gardner-Webb, Stony Brook, Charleston Southern Win


For the third straight game, Coastal Carolina (4-4, 2-1) rushed for more than 200 yards, including 99 by senior Jeremy Height, to down Liberty (3-5, 2-1) for CCU's Homecoming at Brooks Stadium.

Height averaged 8.2 yards per carry as he scored a pair of touchdowns.

Senior quarterback Aramis Hillary was carted off the field due to an injury with 7:51 left in the fourth quarter after a five-yard gain.  He accounted for 200 yards of total offense (87 rushing and 113 passing).  He completed 13-of-21 passes with a score.  He also extended his school record to 180 consecutive pass attempts without an interception.

Sophomore Quinn Backus recorded his sixth double-digit tackle game as he finished with a season-high 15 stops including seven solo tackles and a sack.  The sophomore also added an interception on the Flames' final drive to cement the Chants' victory.  Junior LaDarius Hawthorne finished the game with nine tackles, including seven solo stops, and picked off a pass on the Flames opening drive, returning it 66 yards for the Chants first score of the game.

The Flames were led by senior receiver Pat Kelly who made 16 grabs for 122 yards and a touchdown.  His 16 receptions broke the Liberty and Big South single-game record for catches in a game.  LU quarterback Josh Woodrum was 25-of-42 passing for 179 yards, a touchdown and three interceptions.  Aldreakis Allen led the Flames on the ground as he gained 50 yards on 16 carries.

The Chants out-gained the Flames 342 yards to 265, held Liberty to just 86 rushing yards and won the turnover battle 3-0.

Coastal Carolina, despite having a three-and-out on the first possession of the game, took an early 8-0 lead.  After punting on the first possession, Liberty got one first down then went for it on fourth-and three from the CCU 39.  Woodrum's pass in the flat was picked off by Coastal's Hawthorne, who returned the ball 66 yards for a touchdown.  Austin Cain took a direct snap on the point-after try and scored for two points.

The 66-yard interception return by Hawthorne was his first career pick, the second-longest interception return in CCU history and the first CCU interception return for a touchdown since Dominique Davenport's 17-yard return versus Western Illinois in the 2010 NCAA Playoffs.

Liberty answered with a five-play drive, capped by a 44-yard John Lunsford field goal.  The key play in the drive was a 20-yard rush by Allen with a 10-yard penalty on CCU tacked on to the end of the run.

Neither team was very productive until the end of the second quarter due to the wet conditions from the outer bands of Hurricane Sandy.  Coastal managed just 156 yards of total offense and Liberty 98.  However, 87 of those 156 yards came on Coastal's final drive of the half, which marked CCU's longest drive of the season.  The Chants, starting on its 13, chipped away to get two first downs.  Then, facing 3rd-and-1 on the Liberty 46, Height took a handoff for a simple dive up the middle, but was untouched at the line and he out-ran the Liberty defense for a 46-yard score.

Coastal opened up a 22-3 lead with just under six minutes to play in the third.  Height had a 12-yard run and a 15-yard personal foul on Liberty gave the Chants the ball on the LU 28.  Height followed with a 26-yard run to the two and finished the drive with a two-yard score.

Liberty answered with another field goal drive to make the score 22-6.  Lunsford drilled a 50-yard field goal, marking the third-longest field goal in Brooks Stadium history.

The Chants were backed up on their own 10 and faced 3rd-and-14 when Hillary scrambled and gained 19 yards.  Two plays later Hillary hit DeMario Bennett for a 41-yard gain.  Hillary then gained 14 yards and, three plays later, hit Chris Presley for a three-yard touchdown, marking Presley's first reception of the season and giving CCU a 29-6 advantage.

The Flames were able to answer again, marching 75 yards in 12 plays to make the score 29-12.  Woodrum hit Kelly six times for 50 yards in the drive, including a 19-yard score.  The two-point conversion pass fell incomplete.

The next Coastal drive saw Hillary carry the ball on the very first play for five yards but he was unable to return to play as he was carted off the field.  Redshirt freshman Alex Ross took over and led the offense for a first down at the Coastal 37 yard line but the drive would stall as Cain punted the ball to the Liberty 22 with 4:34 left in the game.

Two quick passes by Woodrum opened up the drive for the Flames as he moved the ball to the 35 for a first down.  Just three plays later Woodrum looked to complete his fourth pass of the drive but Dontavais Johnson stepped in front of the receiver and picked off the throw.  Johnson was able to return the interception 32 yards before being pulled down by Woodrum at the Liberty 11 yard line.

Three plays later Ross found junior Travis Small with a three yard pass for his first receiving touchdown of the season that put the Chants ahead 35-12.  The pass also was Ross' second touchdown pass of the season.  A Catron extra point put the Chants up 36-12 with less than two minutes to play.

The Flames final drive started at their 34 with just 1:46 to play.  After a pair of completions including the 16th to Kelly which broke the Liberty and Big South record for completions in a game,  Woodrum was once again picked off this time by Backu,s who sealed the victory with a a pick at the Coastal 40 yard line.  Ross ran out the final 57 seconds with a pair of kneel downs.

Coastal Carolina will return to play at Gardner-Webb next Saturday, Nov. 3.  Kickoff in Boiling Springs, N.C., is set for 1:30 pm on ESPN3.  Liberty will return home to face Charleston Southern next Saturday with kickoff set for 3:30 pm.

Lucas Beatty passed for 328 yards and a career-high four touchdowns and Gardner-Webb scored 35 unanswered points to beat VMI, 38-7, Saturday afternoon.

The Runnin' Bulldogs (2-6, 1-2 Big South) trailed 7-3 after the Keydets scored their lone touchdown on an 80-yard screen pass from Eric Kordenbrock to James Rogers with 13:18 to play before the half.

Beatty got going late in the second quarter, putting Gardner-Webb up 10-7 at the break by capping a 12-play, 80-yard drive with a three-yard strike to Kenny Cook on play action with 1:07 left in the half.

Beatty found freshman Demarcus White on a 64-yard touchdown pass on the fifth play of the third quarter for a 17-7 lead and running back Juanne Blount hit Hudson Smith on a 17-yard touchdown and a 24-7 lead with 10:41 to play in the third.

Beatty capped a 28-0 burst in the quarter with touchdown passes of 24 yards to Cook and 47 yards to White.

Gardner-Webb's defense limited VMI to just seven total yards in the decisive third quarter and just 92 yards in the second half.  The Keydets (2-6, 1-3 Big South) had just one yard rushing on 15 carries after three quarters, and finished with 41 yards on the ground for the game.

The Runnin' Bulldogs forced four turnovers (two fumbles, two interceptions) in the game used outstanding efforts from punter Bo Lindsey (46.8 yard average on five punts) and returner J.J. Hubbard (112 return yards on four attempts) to control field position.

GWU totaled 400 yards on the day with Beatty completing 24-of-32 passes for 328 yards and his four touchdowns.  White caught the first two touchdowns of his career, hauling in three passes for 113 yards to pace the receiving corps.

Deonte Swinton had eight catches for 73 yards, Cook had five catches for 65 yards and two scores and tight end Seth Cranfill broke the school's single-season receptions mark for tight ends with three catches for 51 yards.  His third catch - a 25-yarder - broke Jason Bright's 2001 mark of 32 receptions.

Kenny Little carried 13 times for 54 yards to pace the rushing attack and Blount added 33 yards on nine carries to go with his first career touchdown pass.

Tanner Burch collected 12 total tackles (eight solo), 1.5 tackles for loss, a sack and a fumble recovery to pace Gardner-Webb's spirited defensive effort.  Azziz Higgins came off the bench to record six tackles in the fourth quarter alone and Maurice Dickson had 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble.  End Shaquille Riddick batted down two passes and recorded three quarterback pressures to assist an effort that produced seven tackles for loss, five sacks, 10 pass break ups and seven pressures overall.

VMI had 217 of its 309 yards in the first half, with Kordenbrock finishing the afternoon completing 19-of-35 passes for 254 yards and a touchdown.  Rogers caught five passes for 103 yards and the 80-yard touchdown and Derrick Ziglar led the ground game with 32 yards on nine carries.

Michael Johnson recorded 13 tackles (four solo) to lead the Keydets on defense.  Charlie Jones, Shawn Chapman and Justin Smith each had sacks to pace an effort that saw VMI record 12 tackles for loss.  Jones had 3.5 tackles for loss (six total hits).

Gardner-Webb remains in Boiling Springs for its next game, hosting Coastal Carolina at 1:30 pm on Nov. 3 on ESPN3.  VMI travels to League-leading Stony Brook next Saturday.  Kickoff is set for 6:00pm.

Senior Kyle Essington threw three touchdown passes to senior Kevin Norrell and the Stony Brook ground game accounted for 416 yards and five touchdowns in a 56-17 win over Presbyterian at Bailey Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

No. 9 Stony Brook (8-1, 4-0) won its sixth straight game and is 23-4 all-time in Big South play.  Presbyterian falls 2-7, 0-4 this season.

Essington completed 10 of 14 from 185 yards, including 138 to Norrell, who became the first receiver in school history to reach 1,000 yards in a season.

Senior Miguel Maysonet rushed for 214 yards, his third 200-yard effort of the season, and two touchdowns.  Junior Marcus Coker enjoyed his best day as a Seawolf, accounting for 144 yards and two touchdowns.

Joel Ruiz led PC with nine carries for 28 yards and one TD.  Kaleb Griffin, who was 20-for-33 with one interception, ran for 31 yards and had one TD, the first of his career.  His 202 passing yards was a career-high.  Jeremiah McKie had four catches for 65 yards while Anderico Bailey posted five catches for 25 yards.

Maysonet finished with 242 all-purpose yards to lead Stony Brook while Michael Ruff recorded 119 yards for PC.

As a team Stony Brook had 601 yards of total offense, with 416 of it coming from the ground.  The Seawolves had 26 first downs and controlled the ball for 36:10 minutes.

PC had 306 yards of total offense, 202 coming from the air.  The Blue hose had 17 first downs and held the ball for 23:50.

Stony Brook went three and out in its first drive and were forced to punt away.  McKie fumbled the return at PC's own 17-yard line to give the Seawolves the ball back.  On third and seven from the PC 14-yard line, Essington completed the touchdown pass to Norrell to give the Seawolves the 7-0 lead after the successful PAT.

PC took over at its own 25-yard line and drove the length of the field.  The drive was capped off by a 12-yard rush by Lance Byrd to put the Blue Hose at the SBU 27-yard line.   The Seawolve defense held and PC's Aaron Mayes converted the 42-yard field goal to cut the margin to four, 7-3, with 5:16 left in the first quarter.

Maysonet returned the ensuing kick-off 30 yards to give Stony Brook good field position at its 45-yard line.  Five plays later Essington hit Norrell again, this time for a 41-yard touchdown to give SBU the 14-3 lead with 2:23 before the end of the first quarter.

PC was driving early in the second quarter and had advanced to the SBU 43-yard line before Griffin's pass was intercepted by Devonte Anderson, who ran it back to the 50-yard line.   Stony Brook used a 16-yard catch by Adrian Coxson to advance to the PC 14-yard line before Maysonet rushed in for the three-yard TD.  After the successful PAT, Stony Brook led 21-3 with 14:05 to go before halftime.

The Blue Hose took over at their 22-yard line and capitalized on a 24-yard completion to McKie, an 11-yard catch by Bailey and an 18-yard reception to Ruff that helped PC set up the eventual eight-yard touchdown carry by Ruiz to make it 21-10 in favor of SBU.

Stony Brook scored on its next possession after starting at its own 25-yard line.  On the first play Maysonet rushed for 50 yards to the PC 25-yard line.  After penalties pushed Stony Brook back, Essington found Norrell in the end zone for a 51-yard completion as SBU took the 28-10 lead with 3:11 left in the second.

PC drove all the way down to the Stony Brook 32-yard line, highlighted by a 32-yard catch by McKie, but couldn't get any further and attempted a 49-yard field goal.  It hit the crossbar, giving SBU the ball at the 32-yard line.

The Seawolves used a 37-yard and 25-yard rush to help drive all the way to the PC one-yard line with just four seconds on the clock.  SBU went for a quarterback keeper to try and sneak the last second TD in but Cory White caught hold of the QB for a loss of four as time the first half expired.

Stony Brook started the second half with the ball and used a 58-yard run by Coker to get the Seawolves to the PC 16-yard line.  Coker put together several short gains the next three plays, including a two-yard TD run as the Seawolves went up 35-10 with 10:53 to go in the third.

After PC's next drive stalled, Stony Brook took over at its 21-yard line after a 45-yard punt by Patrick Morgano, who had five punts on the day with an average of 41.0 yards.  After an 11-yard catch by Myles Campbell, Maysonet took over on the next play and ran the ball 66-yards to the PC two-yard line.  He followed it with a two-yard TD carry as the Seawolves went up 42-10.

After a touchback on the Stony Brook kick, PC took over at the 25-yard line and used a 40-yard reception by Arthur Williams to put the Blue Hose at the SBU 25-yard line.  Griffin rushed for 18 yards and followed it with a two-yard TD carry two plays later to cut the margin to 17-42 late in the third quarter.

Stony Brook took over at the 25-yard line and began its drive down the field.  Maysonet took a 28-yard rush, which was followed by a PC penalty, to put the Seawolves at the PC 33-yard line.  SBU continued to make inroads in PC territory, advancing to the 13-yard line as the third quarter ended.

Two plays into the fourth quarter, Coker ran a yard in for the score to make it 49-17 in favor of the Seawolves with 14:16 left in the game.

The Seawolves used a 19-yard carry by Jaime Williams and a 19-yard completion to David Shukri to help Stony Brook drive to the PC on-yard line in their next possession.  Williams took the ball in for the the game's final score as Stony Brook led 56-17 with 6:33 remaining.

PC takes a week off before hosting Coastal Carolina Saturday, Nov. 10, at 1 p.m. at Bailey Stadium.  Stony Brook returns home to host VMI at 6 p.m. on Nov. 3.

The Charleston Southern Buccaneers rolled to 409 yards rushing, the second-most in school history, en route to beating overmatched Edward Waters, 42-7, on Saturday afternoon at Buccaneer Field.

With the win, CSU improves .500 overall on the year, while the Tigers fall to 3-5.

Charleston Southern pounded the Tigers in the opening half, moving the ball at-will in their option attack.  The Bucs were stopped on a three-and-out on their opening drive, then ripped off touchdown drives of 77, 60, 60, 69, and 43 yards on their next five drives to quickly put the Tigers away before the half.

The win was one CSU's most complete wins of the year, as the Bucs' defense held the Tigers to 192 total yards, most coming late in the game on the Tigers' lone touchdown drive.

The story, however, was the Bucs' run game.  CSU overpowered the Tigers to grind out 409 rushing yards, the second-most in school history.  The Bucs had 417 against Guilford in a 58-0 win during the 2000 season.  CSU averaged almost seven yards per carry.

The Bucs large margin early in third quarter allowed for a number of underclassmen to see significant playing time in the second half.

The win moved the Bucs to four wins in their last five games and secures a winning home record for 2012.  CSU completes a three-game home stand, 3-0, with a tough final three games looming.

The Bucs picked up 77 yards on 11 plays on their second drive, all coming on the ground, to roll to a 7-0 lead at the 10-minute mark of the first quarter.  Junior Teddy Allen had five carries for 38 yards and quarterback Malcolm Dixon scored on an 8-yard TD run to finish out the drive.

Allen led the Bucs with 115 yards and two touchdowns.  Backup Briar Van Brunt, seeing his first action since his start and injury against Illinois, added 99 yards on 12 carries. 

CSU extended its lead on the following drive as Zach Frazier slipped out of the backfield to take a Dixon pass 36 yards to set up the Bucs second score.  Allen pounded it in from three yards out to extend the lead to 14-0.  The score was Allen's fifth TD run in as many quarters.

The Bucs would score on six-straight possessions to build a 42-0 lead, while their defense held the Tigers to five three-and-outs in the game.

The lead climbed to 21-0 in the opening minutes of the second quarter to as Larry Jones III hauled in a back shoulder throw from Dixon in the corner of the end zone to cap the Bucs' third scoring drive.  Running back Michael Cirino had a 38-yard reception to open the drive.

Allen added his second score of the game with just under four minutes left in the half.  The junior plowed his way into the end zone, bouncing off of tacklers, from 20 yards out to build the lead to 28-0.  Freshman Gabe Johnson sprinted in from 30 yards out with just under two minutes to play in the half for the Bucs final TD of the first half.

The Bucs' Chase Jones, who has been playing both ways in October, came up with his first career interception to stop the Tigers' best drive of the half late in the second quarter.

The Buc defense was relentless throughout.  CSU had six tackles for loss against the Tigers option attack and sacked quarterback Brandon Turman three times.

Defensive tackle Isaac McKenzie led the way with 1.5 sacks and four stops.  Freshman linebacker Aaron Brown added five stops as Edward Waters had no answers for CSU's front seven.

CSU returns to Big South action next Saturday against Liberty in Lynchburg, Va.  Kickoff is at 3:30 p.m. at Williams Stadium.