Coastal Carolina, VMI, Stony Brook Win On Gridiron Saturday


In a game that featured just about everything a football fan could want to see, Coastal Carolina claimed a 47-45 triple overtime win over Furman Saturday evening at Paladin Stadium.

The stage was set thanks to a feverish last 4:12 in the game.  Alex Catron nailed 35-yard field goal to put Coastal up 10, 22-12.  However, the Paladins marched right down the field to score a touchdown with 1:59 left in the game.  Reigning National Defensive Player of the Week Dontavais Johnson blocked the point after attempt to make it a four-point game.  The Paladins executed an on-side kick, recovering the ball on the CCU 50.  Nine plays later, true freshman Reese Hannon, who filled in for an injured Dakota Derrick, hit Ryan Culbreath for a 22-yard strike with 40 ticks left.

Coastal started their final drive of regulation on their own 32.  Aramis Hillary, who threw for a career-high 292 yards, hit Matt Hazel for 32 yards and then found Tyrell Blanks for 20 to get to the Furman 28.  Coastal sent on Catron to send it to overtime, which he did with a 45-yard field goal as time expired in regulation.

Both Coastal and Furman had little trouble scoring in the three overtime sessions.  For the Chants, Hillary threw a 35-yard completion to Hazel and Jeremy Height did the rest with a one-yard plunge.  In the second session, Hillary found Hazel in the endzone for a one-play, 25-yard score.  In the final OT, Hillary hit DeMario Bennett for a 26-yard touchdown.  Per NCAA overtime rules, Coastal was forced to go for two.  Hillary rolled left, pitched to Bennett, who scored from three yards out on a run-pass option with tight end Thomas Pauciello.

The Paladins had two, one-play scoring drives in the first two sessions.  In the third and down eight, Hank McCloud scored from three yards out.  Furman attempted a fade pass in the left endzone, but the the pass sailed long to give Coastal the 47-45 win.

Coastal made some critical plays along the way to give it a chance to reach overtime.  First, the defense forced three field goals instead of letting the Paladins reach in the endzone.  On Furman's first TD, Mike McClure picked off a pass in the endzone for a three-point swing in Coastal's favor.  Lastly, Johnson's blocked PAT in the fourth quarter would eventually lead to just a three-point margin, instead of four as regulation expired.

After a 10 minute rain/lightening delay, Coastal took the opening kickoff and drove 79 yards in 12 plays to take an early 7-0 lead.  Hillary, who completed his first eight passes of the game, went 4-of-4 on the opening drive for 34 yards, two to Hazel and two to Bennett.  The senior then capped the drive with a one-yard touchdown plunge.

The Chanticleer defense forced a three-and-out on Furman's first drive and kept the momentum going to take a 10-0 lead.  There were two key plays during the scoring drive.  First, Hillary avoided a 10-yard sack by completing a pass to Height for no gain.  On the next play, Hillary hit tight end Pauciello down the middle for a 45-yard gain, marking the first career reception for the redshirt freshman.  Coastal's drive stalled but Catron came on to split the uprights from 38 yards to the 10-point lead.

The Paladins answered with a 14-play, 58-yard scoring driving of their own as Ray Early cut the Furman deficit to seven, 10-3, with a 37-yard field goal.  Furman came up with an interception on Coastal's ensuing drive.  However, the Chanticleer defense once again stood firm to force a 41-yard Early field goal to make the score 10-6.

Coastal's offense moved the ball to the 27 but came up empty when a 44-yard field goal sailed left.  Furman looked to get on the board too, but quarterback Derrick was knocked out of the game and Early missed wide right from 42 yards.

To start the second half, Coastal moved the ball effectively, but a holding call, a sack and a short pass led to fourth-and-32.  The Chants punted but Will King fumbled and Quinn Backus recovered the ball on the Furman 13.  Facing fourth-and-one, Lorenzo Taliaferro powered his way forward two yards to the one for a first down.  Two plays later, Taliaferro went untouched up the middle for the score.  Catron's extra point gave the Chants a 17-6 lead with 2:40 left in the third.

The fourth quarter brought a heavy rain.  The Paladins, with backup true freshman Reese Hannon leading the team, moved his team 78 yards in 11 plays, converting a fourth-and-two with a 15-yard completion.  Three plays later, Hannon hit Ryan Culbreath in the left corner of the endzone for a five-yard TD.  The Paladins would go for two but McClure intercepted the ball at the goal line and returned it 100 yards for a two-point defensive score to make the score 17-12.  It also marked the longest scoring play in CCU history and the first CCU defensive two-point conversion since Sean Lundy accomplished the feat in 2006 versus Furman.

On the ensuing kickoff, Jeremy Height returned the ball 63 yards which would eventually lead to a 35-yard Catron field goal for a 22-12 lead and set the stage for the remarkable finish.

Coastal Carolina will return to action next Saturday, hosting nationally-ranked Eastern Kentucky. Kickoff at Brooks Stadium for Family Weekend is set for 6 pm.

Jabari Turner had a 45-yard touchdown reception with 8:29 remaining, and after a Jeff Sexton field goal, the VMI Keydets survived a late-game drive by the Chowan Hawks to eke out a 24-17 win in NCAA football action Saturday afternoon at Foster Stadium.

After Chowan (1-1) took a 17-14 lead into the fourth quarter in the midst of a consistent, heavy-at-times rainstorm, the teams traded interceptions and then punts, giving VMI (1-1) the ball with 9:48 remaining.  A five-play, 56-yard drive ended with a wide pass to Turner, who made several Hawk defenders miss en route to the endzone.  Sexton tacked on the point after, making it a 21-17 game.

After CU kicker Alex Noboa missed wide left from 33, trying to cut the lead to one, Sexton tacked on a 36-yard field goal with 2:04 to play, making it a 24-17 game.  Chowan got the ball back and marched to the VMI 36, but three incompletions and a sack ended the drive and the game, as Eric Kordenbrock executed two kneel-downs to run out the clock and preserve the victory.

Turner had 133 all-purpose yards on the day, was one of two Keydet receivers with four catches and had two touchdowns as well.  He also rushed for 45 yards, as starting tailback David Turner missed the second half due to an undisclosed injury.  Chowan's Damian Ellis had eight catches for 77 yards in the losing effort, and the game was marred by 26 total penalties for 212 yards.

The Keydets struck first on a cloudy day with rain approaching, as four Chowan penalties on the Hawks' opening drive helped give VMI outstanding field position.  VMI's first drive, in fact, started at the CU 17 and six plays later, a one-yard rush for David Turner opened the scoring.  Sexton's point after made it VMI 7, Chowan 0.

After forcing a three-and-out, the Keydets came right back on their next drive and went 34 yards in three plays, capping the quick drive with a Kordenbrock pass to Jabari Turner for a 28-yard touchdown and a 14-0 Keydet lead.  That would be the last VMI points until the fourth quarter, and Chowan cut into the advantage in the second period.

The Keydets marched down the field, going 65 yards in 10 plays and appeared to be on the verge of seizing command of the game.  On the final of those plays, however, a Kordenbrock pass bounced off the hands of a Keydet receiver and was intercepted by Devahn Murphy.  Murphy found a seam down the sideline and returned the pick 83 yards for a touchdown, putting Chowan on the board, 14-7, with 7:39 left in the opening half.

Neither team could dent the scoreboard for the remainder of the half, and the contest went to halftime with the Keydets holding a seven-point cushion.  The game remained close despite VMI outgaining CU 213-100 in the first half, and also in spite of CU's eight first half penalties.

The Keydets took the second half kickoff in a driving rainstorm, which had started just as the first half ended, and it cost VMI early.  On the fifth play of the half, Kordenbrock bobbled the snap from center and CU's Chris Morris fell on the ball, giving the Hawks possession with 12:51 to play in the third.  Chowan then held the ball for the next 8:04 and went 67 yards in a eye-popping 19 plays, including a third down conversion, a fourth down conversion and a VMI roughing the kicker penalty.  Finally, Noboa capped the push with a 23-yard field goal, cutting the Keydet edge to 14-10 with 4:47 left in the period.

CU's defense held on the next Keydet possession, and the Hawk offense came right back once again.  Aided by two penalties, Chowan went 78 yards in just five plays, and quarterback Cameron Stover threw a 17-yard touchdown to Antjuan Randall to give the Hawks a 17-14 cushion with 2:31 remaining in the quarter.

That would be the score headed to the fourth period, which opened with a CU punt, giving the Keydets the ball at their own 39.  Kordenbrock, however, was promptly intercepted by Dakoria Desamme at the Chowan 24, VMI's third turnover of the day.  Two plays later, Mike Smith picked off Stover to give the Keydets the ball once again, but they could not take advantage and the teams would trade punts.  With CU still up 17-14, the Keydets took over with 9:48 to go and picked up a quick first down, as Jabari Turner ran for a first down on third and 3.  After an incomplete pass, Kordenbrock found Turner on a swing pass for the eventual game-winner, a 45-yard strike that would put VMI up, 21-17.

CU tried to answer, driving 51 yards in 10 plays, but Noboa missed wide left with 5:56 remaining and the Keydets got the ball back.  They could not take advantage, and the teams would trade punts.  Chowan's punt, however, would come from its own endzone and went just 17 yards, setting up an eventual Sexton 36-yard field goal to make it 24-17 with just 2:04 left.

The visitors had one last rally, as Stover completed passes of 13 and 16 yards to move the ball into VMI territory, but three incompletions and a sack gave the Keydets the ball on downs and sealed the victory.

Kordenbrock went 19 for 37 for VMI, throwing for 275 yards, while Stover was 28 for 52 for 246 yards for the opposition.  James Fruehan led the VMI defense with eight tackles, while Chowan amassed seven tackles for loss for 27 yards on the afternoon.

VMI football will return to action next Saturday, Sept. 15, playing host to the Richmond Spiders in Foster Stadium.  Game time is set for 1:30 p.m.

The Stony Brook football team totaled a school-record 693 yards of total offense in a 77-7 win over Pace Saturday night at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.  The running game accounted for 521 yards, led by redshirt freshman Jamie Williams, who rushed for 144 yards and three touchdowns, both personal bests.  Stony Brook is 2-0 for the first time since 2007.

The ground game finished with nine touchdowns.  Sophomore Davon Lawrence chipped in with 10 carries for 122 yards, a career-high, and a touchdown.

Senior Kyle Essington was 6-for-6 passing for 158 yards and two touchdowns.  Senior Kevin Norrell caught an 86-yard score and senior Brett Arce hauled in a nine-yard TD, his first as a Seawolf.

Junior Davonte Anderson picked off two passes, increasing his career total to eight.  He's third in Stony Brook's Division I history.  Chad King is first all-time with 15.  With last week's 89-yard touchdown reception, Norrell and Essington own the second- and third-longest pass plays in Stony Brook's Division I history.

The 77 points and margin of victory of 70 are school records.  Stony Brook scored on its first 10 drives and 11 of 13 overall.  The Seawolves scored on the first possession of a drive twice.  It has done that five times in the first two games.  Senior Wesley Skiffington connected on all 11 PATs.  

For the second week in a row, the outcome of Liberty's game was decided in the closing seconds.  This time, the Flames fell just a yard short of extending their game against No. 24 Norfolk State.

With just over three minutes left to play in the game, the Flames were able to drive to the Norfolk State one-yard line.  However, the Spartans' Keenan Lambert was able to keep fullback Nicky Fualaau from catching a ball in the end zone, thus securing a 31-24 win for the visitors in Liberty's 2012 home opener.

For the first time since the 2003 season, the Flames open a season with an 0-2 record after the loss, Saturday night, at Williams Stadium.  The win ups Norfolk State's season mark to 2-0.

Norfolk State outscored the Flames, 24-7, in the second half and outgained Liberty, 212-93, during the final 30 minutes.  The decisive second half also saw two special teams touchdowns and a fumble recovery for a score.

Norfolk State's defense held strong on the game's opening drive, forcing the Flames to punt after a three-and-out series.  However, it was a mishap by the Spartans' special teams that gave the Flames the ball right back.

Grant Bowden's punt traveled 46 yards downfield and during one of its final hops, return specialist Marcus Cooperwood touched the ball and Kenny Scott was able to recover it, giving Liberty's offense another chance.

Three plays later, Liberty made the most of the second chance when Brian Hudson hit Aldreakis Allen in stride for a 23-yard touchdown pass.  Allen's third career touchdown reception gave Liberty a 7-0 lead with 12:11 left to play in the first quarter.

The Flames looked like they might extend their lead on their next drive, which got to the 21-yard line before Norfolk State was able to halt the effort.

Reigning Big South Freshman of the Week John Lunsford was brought on to attempt a 38-yard field goal, which had plenty of distance, but hit the right upright to keep the game, 7-0, in favor of the home team.

With time winding down in the first quarter, a big play put the visiting Spartans in their first scoring position of the night.  Norfolk State quarterback Nico Flores handed the ball off to Brendon Riddick, and the redshirt freshman looked like he was going to be stopped right at the line of scrimmage.  However, Riddick was able to break free of that tackle and three others for a 71-yard run.

Riddick was given the ball the next two plays and on the second he was able to score from one yard out to knot the game at 7-7, 30 seconds in the second quarter.

The Flames quickly answered back on the next drive, which was jumpstarted by a 65-yard kickoff return by All-American return specialist Kevin Fogg.

Hudson followed the return with a pass play to Pat Kelly, who caught a screen pass and was able to pick up 29 yards after breaking away from an attempted sideline stop.

The Flames kept the ball on the ground for the next three plays, setting up a six-yard touchdown run by Sirchauncey Holloway.  His score provided Liberty a 14-7 lead with 12:15 left to play before halftime.

The next time the Flames touched the ball, they pieced together their second 10-play drive of the season and pushed their lead to 10 points.  Liberty managed to get inside the 20-yard line, but had to settle for a 36-yard field goal by Lunsford with just over five minutes left in the half.

Both teams possessed the football one more time during the remaining five minutes, but neither team scored, sending the Flames into the locker room with a 17-7 lead.

The Flames finished the first half with 104 more offensive yards than the visitors, 235 to 131, using a balanced offensive attack.  Liberty rushed 25 times for 113 yards, while Hudson completed 9-of-15 passing attempts for 122 yards.  Liberty's leading rusher was Allen, who carried the ball 13 times for 85 yards before the break.  Holloway followed with eight rushing attempts for 34 yards.

Kelly led all first half receivers with five receptions for 65 yards, followed by two catches for tight end Justin Gunn for 22 yards. 

The Spartans mostly kept to the ground on their first drive of the third quarter and were able to trim six points off their deficit.

Six of the team's eight-play, 80-yard drive were rushing attempts, including gains of 18 and 29 yards by Flores on quarterback keepers.  Riddick took the sixth and final handoff and scored from 10 yards out with 11:13 left in the third quarter.  Liberty was able to keep the score at 17-13 when freshman Chima Uzowihe was able to block Everett Goldberg's point after attempt.

Norfolk State came up with its second three-and-out stop of the game on the next drive and the visitors made the most of the defensive stop.

Bowden booted a 50-yard punt downfield, but return specialist Keith Jackson got several key blocks downfield and was able to outdistance himself from the final two defenders to score an 83-yard punt return for a touchdown.

Norfolk State head coach Pete Adrian elected to go for two on the extra point attempt, but Flores' pass attempt was intercepted in the end zone to keep the score 19-17 in favor of Norfolk State with 10:03 left to play in the third quarter.

But the two-point advantage lasted less than four minutes, as Liberty followed Norfolk State's defense and special teams lead.

The Flames came up with their third three-and-out series of the game and forced the Spartans to punt the ball away.

Dylan Shaddix was able to get off a 49-yard punt, but Fogg got to the outside and avoided three attempted tackles, returning the kick 77 yards for a score.  Fogg's fourth career special teams touchdown put the Flames up 24-19 at the 6:07 mark of the third quarter.

Lunsford was able to pin Norfolk State deep in its own territory with a 63-yard squib kickoff. Norfolk State, starting from its own two-yard line, put together a 16-play, 98-yard drive that included a fake punt where Shaddix was able to extend the drive with a nine-yard pass to Joseph Hawkins at midfield.

Norfolk State kept the ball on the ground for the next five plays, setting up a two-yard touchdown run from Riddick.  Following the running back's third rushing touchdown of the game, Norfolk State chose to go for two on the extra point attempt, but the pass attempt was intercepted and the Spartans were left with a 25-24 lead with 12:45 remaining in the game.

Later in the fourth quarter, Liberty's defense was able to stop the Spartans following back-to-back sacks and the home team regained possession with just under five minutes left to play.

The Flames kept the ball on the ground for five straight plays, but on the fifth, Hudson was tackled by Cooperwood, who forced the ball loose.  Marcell Coke scooped up the loose ball and returned it 41 yards to push Norfolk State's lead to seven points, 31-24.

Liberty's special teams was able to keep Norfolk State from converting on its fourth extra point of the night when Dylan Lewellyn was able to get behind the line of scrimmage and block Goldberg's kick.

Back-up quarterback Josh Woodrum entered the game after Hudson was injured on the previous drive and the freshman led the Flames deep into Norfolk State territory.

Woodrum led the Flames to a first-and-goal situation from the five-yard line, where they tried to score on two rushing attempts from Allen and a lofted ball to Kelly in the corner of the end zone.

After two called timeouts, one by each team, Woodrum rolled out to the right and had Fualaau open in the end zone.  Just as the ball got to the fullback's hands, though, Lambert was able to get a piece of the pigskin, keeping Fualaau from scoring and securing his team's road victory.

The Spartans outgained the Flames on the night, 343-328, aided by 212 yards during the second half of play.

Norfolk State used its rushing attack to keep possession of the football, especially during the second half.  The Spartans finished the night with 251 rushing yards and had a 19:54-10:06 time of possession advantage during the final 30 minutes.

Riddick was the game's leading rusher, carrying the ball 21 times for 150 yards and three touchdowns.  Flores called his own number 13 times and rushed for 76 yards.

Allen had his fifth career 100-yard game, leading the Flames with 22 carries for 127 yards.  Holloway followed with 10 carries for 44 yards and a score.  For the Flames, Hudson completed 12-of-22 passing attempts for 144 yards and a score, while Woodrum was 3-of-5 for 14 yards during the final drive.

Norfolk State had three players finish the game with passing attempts.  Flores led the way as he was 9-of-14 for 62 yards, followed by Jake Basmagian (5-of-5, 21 yards) and Shaddix (1-of-1, 9 yards).

Kelly was the game's leading receiver, finishing the night with seven receptions for 75 yards for the Flames.  Xavier Boyce was Norfolk State's top receiver, ending the night with five catches for 40 yards.

Lambert was Norfolk State's top defender on the night.  Besides breaking up Liberty's attempted tying touchdown play during the final seconds, the strong safety ended the night with a dozen tackles (6 solo, 6 assisted).

The Flames had six players finished the night with six tackles each, including Fogg, who finished the night with five solo stops.

Liberty will make its furthest trip west since 1998 when the Flames head to Missoula, Mont., next weekend to face the Grizzlies of Montana.  Kickoff from Washington-Grizzly Stadium is set for 3:30 p.m. (EST) and the game will be televised on the Flames Sports Network.

Jacksonville University took advantage of four Charleston Southern turnovers and returned a kickoff and punt for touchdown to beat Bucs in their home opener, 31-10, on Saturday at Buccaneer Field.

With the win, the Dolphins move to 1-1, while the Bucs fall to 0-2 on the year.

The Dolphins had a 55-yard punt return for a touchdown and a linebacker Jordan Dewhirst had an interception return and a kickoff return for a touchdown, both in the second half, to carry the Dolphins.

The Bucs offense blew a few early opportunities on turnovers and penalties, before getting started a little too late.

Junior quarterback Derek Hatcher floated a 17-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Nathan Perera with 1:58 remaining for the Bucs' only score of the day. Hatcher finished 12-of-17 for 138 yards and a touchdown.  He came on in relief of junior Malcolm Dixon, who finished the game 8-for-20 with 140 yards and an interception.

Jacksonville freshman quarterback Kade Bell finished only 10-of-27, but had 209 yards passing and a touchdown.  He also had a touchdown dropped in the third quarter.

The Bucs defense kept CSU in the game.  The Dolphins had only 98 yards on the ground and 307 total yards, but CSU's option attack also struggled.  The Bucs had 67 yards rushing on 30 carries.

The defense kept the Bucs in the game, but it was a mistake by the offense that got Jacksonville rolling in the third quarter.

The Dolphins opened the second half with their first touchdown of the year.  Linebacker Jordan Dewhirst intercepted an underthrown Dixon pass and weaved his way 39 yards across the field for JU's first touchdown of the year.  The play appeared to be a touchdown going the other way, as Chase Jones had wheeled behind the JU defense and was running free on the underthrow.

The Bucs would answer with their first points of the game on the ensuing possession.  Dixon found a streaking Perera across the middle for 72 yards on the first play of the drive to set up the Bucs on first-and-goal at the Dolphins three.  A delay-of-game penalty and a stand by the JU defense forced the Bucs to settle for a field goal.

After the two teams traded punts, the Dolphins' special teams came up with the game's biggest play.

JU's Terrance Bryant returned a Cameron Mitchell punt 55 yards for a touchdown to give JU a 17-3 lead.  Bryant beat two Bucs at midfield, then cut back across the field for the Dolphins second non-offensive touchdown.

Hatcher came on for the Bucs for first time this season with about eight minutes left in the game.  He found Tanner Rogers in the seam for a 19-yard gain to get CSU on the move, but an apparent bobble-and-drop by Perera was ruled a fumble, and JU's Blythe Weaver recovered to end the Bucs' hopes.  The Dolphins would add a touchdown to take a 24-3 lead on a 46-yard Robustelli catch-and-run with 4:19 left.

The Dolphins also returned a late onside kick attempt by the Bucs 44 yards for a touchdown.  It was the second return of a touchdown in the game for Dewhirst and the third return and third non-offensive touchdown of the game.

Both teams had opportunities in the first half, but neither could deal a knockout blow.
 Charleston Southern appeared to be driving for the opening score of the game following an early Jacksonville fumble.  The Dolphins put together a six-play, 39-yard drive to open the game, but turned it over at midfield on a botched handoff and CSU took over at the JU 46.

CSU went for the quick strike as Dixon just missed an open Perera on the post.  CSU would move the ball inside the Dolphins 10 on a third-and-9 conversion on a Dixon 22-yard run.
 The Bucs would turn the ball over on the next snap as Jones had the ball ripped out and JU recovered at its own seven.

Jacksonville would get on the scoreboard first with a field goal following a well-executed 11-play, 72 yard drive.  A 37-yard Dylan Lynch field goal capped the scoring drive as he booted it through from the left hash.

Bell found Robustelli, his favorite target, down the left sideline for 39 yards as the big play on the drive.  Robustelli finished with three catches for 100 yards and a touchdown.  JU punter Dylan Lynch also had a big game for the Dolphins.  He punted six times for a 59-yard average.

Perera had the biggest day of the Bucs.  He had 10 catches for 134 yards and the Bucs' touchdown.

The Bucs travel to Champaign, Ill., next Saturday to face the University of Illinois.  Kickoff is at noon eastern time.  The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network.

Gardner-Webb jumped out to an early 3-0 lead, but saw Richmond put up 24 unanswered points and never looked back in a 41-8 decision at Robins Stadium. 

The Runnin' Bulldogs (0-2) took advantage of a turnover for its opening score, turning Brian Wittenberger's nine-yard interception return on Richmond's opening drive into a 43-yard field goal from Trever Austin with 12:49 left in the first quarter.

The start of Saturday's game was delayed more than one hour due to lightning -- the second time in two weeks Gardner-Webb has been delayed by weather.

The Spiders (1-1) responded with a 32-yard field goal with 9:43 left to tie the game, and began to pull away when GWU coughed up the ensuing kickoff.  Kendall Gaskins scored the first of his four touchdowns from one yard out and - after regaining possession - John Laub found Ben Edwards open for a 46-yard touchdown pass on first down to push the lead to 17-3.

Gaskins scored again from five yards away for a 24-3 score with 10:28 to play before halftime.  Austin connected on another field goal, this time from 38 yards away, to trim the lead to 24-6 - but Laub found Gaskins open for a five-yard touchdown pass play with 6:31 left before the half for a 31-6 lead at intermission.

The Spiders added 10 more points in the third quarter, with Gaskins bulling over for another short touchdown run for a 41-6 lead with 7:09 left on the clock.

A safety gave Gardner-Webb's final tally with 26 seconds remaining, when a bad snap got over the Richmond punter's head and resulted in a kick out of the back of the end zone.

Richmond piled up 439 yards on 75 offensive plays, averaging a healthy 5.9 yards per play in the game.

Laub was sharp through three quarters, connecting on 14-of-24 for 267 yards for two touchdowns, overcoming his early interception.  Jovan Smith paced the ground game, carrying 11 times for 94 yards.  Gaskins finished off much of that work with his three short touchdown runs and reception.

Gardner-Webb collected 247 total yards offensively, with Kenny Little carrying 13 times for 75 yards -- with much of that production coming in the fourth quarter.  Lucas Beatty completed 16-of-31 passes for 123 yards and an interception, finding Kenny Cook five times for 56 yards on the night.

Tanner Burch paced the Gardner-Webb defense with 10 total tackles (five solo), 2.0 tackles for loss and a pressure.  Wittenberger had six tackles, recovered a fumble and picked off a pass for the 'Dogs.

The Runnin' Bulldogs return home to face a streaking Samford squad at 3:00pm on Saturday, Sept. 15, in Spangler Stadium.

The Presbyterian College football team forced three turnovers against Atlantic Coast Conference foe Georgia Tech on Saturday night, but fell to the Yellow Jackets at Bobby Dodd Stadium, 59-3.  Both teams see their records even at 1-1.  PC will next travel to Nashville, Tenn., to take on Vanderbilt at 1 p.m. next Saturday.

The Blue Hose recovered three fumbles, the most lost fumbles for the Yellow Jackets since giving up a trio in the 2010 Independence Bowl against Air Force.

PC scored with five seconds remaining in the game, its first-ever points in its fourth meeting against Georgia Tech.  Aaron Mayes split the uprights on a 30-yard field goal to cap a nine-play, 62-yard drive that included PC's biggest play of the night, a 46-yard Demarcus Rouse scamper.

Lance Byrd led the Blue Hose with 80 yards on the ground.  Rouse followed with 63 yards on six carries.  Arthur Williams paced the receiving corps with six receptions for 42 yards while Donelle Williams collected eight total tackles.  Joshua Polk picked up the team's lone sack and caused a fumble as well.  All three PC quarterbacks saw time, combining for 98 yards through the air.

Georgia Tech gained 712 overall yards on the day but the Blue Hose held the home team to three points in the second quarter.

One of PC's most exciting plays came on a record-breaking return from freshman Brandon Leston late in the second quarter.  Tech quarterback Synjyn Days kept the ball on a one-yard sneak into the end zone, but the ball came loose and Leston took the fumble back 91 yards to set up the Blue Hose nine yards from paydirt.  Unfortunately for the Blue Hose, the visitors were unable to convert from in close and the Yellow Jackets took back possession.

Leston's return set a new Division I record for longest recovery, eclipsing a Chetyuane Reeder 78-yarder set in 2007 against Charleston Southern.  The freshman Leston later made a shoestring tackle on a long Vad Lee run to stop a sure Yellow Jackets touchdown at the end of the third quarter.

The Yellow Jackets struck quickly to open the game.  Running back Zach Laskey broke through the middle and finished a 56-yard rush in the end zone as Georgia Tech took a 7-0 lead with 13:01 left in the first quarter.

PC stopped the Jackets on three downs on two consecutive drives.  Keyadd Miller and Mark Williams (combined on a second-down play to bring down Orwin Smith for a two-yard loss.

The Yellow Jackets added to their lead thanks to a 58-yard Tevin Washington touchdown run.  The quarterback took a fake handoff to the right side and ran to paydirt for a 14-0 Georgia Tech lead.

On the home team's next series, Synjyn Days punched in a three-yard run to give Georgia Tech a 21-0 advantage shortly before the second quarter.

PC put together a promising 49-yard drive through the end of the first quarter, highlighted by a Byrd 18-yard run and a pair of Williams catches.  The series came to an end, however, when Georgia Tech blocked a Mayes 43-yard field goal attempt.

The Blue Hose caused the first turnover of the day, as Polk stripped a running Washington and Mark Williams fell on the ball to halt a Yellow Jackets drive.

Georgia Tech ended the half with a David Scully field goal from 32 yards out to take a 24-0 lead into the locker room.

The Blue Hose recovered their third Tech turnover early in the third quarter.  Bryson Brindle leapt on Charles Perkins fumble, marking the first for the freshman and stopping another Yellow Jackets drive.

Georgia Tech scored on their next drive, using two passes to go 85 yards as Robert Godhigh hauled in a 45-yard Washington throw for a touchdown.

A Jamal Golden interception then set up a Vad Lee touchdown keeper to put the home side up 38-0 with 7:43 left in the third.  The Yellow Jackets then added a two-yard Broderick Snoddy touchdown rush to start the fourth quarter and go up, 52-0, before capping their scoring with a short Matt Conners touchdown run.