Charleston Southern Downs USC Upstate, 2-1


Phillips, Frankeny Lead Buccaneers' Comeback in 2-1 Victory
SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Michelle Calmeyn gave USC Upstate the halftime lead with a goal in the first 30 minutes of the contest, but second half scores by Chelsea Phillips and Chelsea Frankeny guided the Charleston Southern women's soccer team to the season opening 2-1 win at the County University Stadium on Monday afternoon.

With the score tied 1-1 after Phillips hammered in the equalizing goal off the crossbar, Frankeny collected a deflection in the box off Morgann Wood's cross attempt and the freshman from Wilmington, N.C. threaded the needle through the defense, placing a shot into the left side of the net for the game-winner.

Phillips scored the game-tying goal, ending the shutout attempt by USC Upstate's Sarah Plantz in the 71st minute as she collected a long pass near the top of the box and fired a shot over the outstretched hands of Plantz. The ball nicked off the bottom of the crossbar, bouncing down into the net to knot the game up 1 apiece.

Calmeyn opened the scoring in the contest for the host Spartans at the 32:20 mark in the first half, taking advantage of a communications mix-up between the Buccaneers goalkeeper and defender near the top of the box. The sophomore forward collected the clear attempt and found open grass between herself and the net, placing her shot attempt on the ground and it rolled into the bottom left corner of the twine to put the Spartans up early.

Charleston Southern nearly put the first score of the contest into the net early in the first half as Plantz came out to stop a Frankeny shot, but was unable to control it as the ball bounced to Chelsea Phillips in front of an open goal. However, the Spartans' defense was able to react and a defender slid in to block Phillips' scoring attempt to keep the game knotted at zero at the 30:52 mark.

Less than six minutes after Calmeyn's opening goal, Phillips nearly tied the contest up less than six minutes later as she received a cross from Frankeny on the right side in front of the goal. Her direct header off the chance was deflected straight up by Plantz and the USC keeper was able to track the ball down to end the scoring chance.

With time running out in the first half, the Spartans nearly went up 2-0 in the 45th minute of the contest as Cassidy Winchester threaded a ball through a crowd in front of the goal, but a diving stop by Melissa Adams punched the ball out to the side and Faucette cleared it up the sideline as the teams went into the break with USC Upstate holding the 1-0 advantage.

The Buccaneers began the second half much like the first as Toni Lashley and Faucette drilled attempts at the net, but the first true scoring opportunity of the second half belonged to the host Spartans as Calmeyn had a one-on-one with Cody inside the box, but the redshirt sophomore was up to the task, sliding and knocking the ball away to keep the Upstate lead at one.

However, Phillips finally broke the seal on the net for the Buccaneers in the 71st minute of the contest, and Frankeny followed 10 minutes later with the game-winner as the Buccaneers improved to 1-0 on the season.

The Buccaneers outshot the Spartans 17-11 in the contest and had nine shots on goal to USC Upstate's seven. Charleston Southern also led the way with 11 corner kicks to the Spartans' one as the Buccaneers controlled the ball on the pitch for most of the evening.

Charleston Southern returns home to the CSU Soccer Field on Saturday, August 25th as the Buccaneers host Mercer University. Kickoff between the Buccaneers and the Bears is set for 3 p.m.