Campbell, Winthrop, Liberty, Longwood & Charleston Southern Win


Keydets Fall to Campbell in Big South Opener, 2-0
LEXINGTON, Va. - Ashley Clark, the Big South's leading scorer this season, tallied the only two goals of the game to help the Campbell Fighting Camels defeat the VMI Keydets, 2-0, Thursday afternoon at VMI's Patchin Field.

On a day marked by a great deal of midfield play and very few shots, Clark had seven of the day's 19 total tries. She got on the board in the 20th minute off an assist from Melissa Messier, beating VMI's (1-6, 0-1 Big South) Kirsten Hancock lower left, and scored again in the 57th minute for her eighth goal of the season, to account for the final margin. Only five other Campbell (6-1, 1-0 Big South) shots were on goal, while the Keydets managed three tries on net.

Clark has now scored Campbell's last three goals against VMI, after also scoring the lone goal in CU's 1-0 victory last year in Buies Creek, N.C. This year's contest marked the Big South opener for both schools, as the Camels won their fourth straight match overall.

A very slow paced match got underway on a day with seasonable temperatures, which hovered in the 70's all afternoon. There were just two shots in the first 19:16, with CU taking both as the Keydet back line and midfield thwarted several combination plays by the visitors. At 19:16, however, Clark struck by taking a through ball from Messier. The resultant shot was a quick blast, lower left from 15 yards out, and it found the back of the net for a 1-0 Campbell lead.

The Camels would have just one shot on goal the remainder of the half, and the Keydets came back in the 28th minute. Liz Affronti took a corner kick and the ball came free in the middle of the box. Several VMI players were in position, but it was Sarah Putney who got off the shot. CU keeper Ryann Torrero, however, was up to the task and made a sliding kick save, keeping the Keydets off the scoreboard.

Only one other shot was taken the remainder of the half, so Campbell preserved its 1-0 lead into halftime.

Clark came out quickly in the second half, as she took the first four shots over an 11:21 span, including testing Hancock twice. On the fifth try, Clark took a pass from Kirsty Meyer and shot from 25 yards out, around a Keydet defender, and beat Hancock to the keeper's left for her second goal of the day, and a 2-0 CU lead. The goal came at the 56:49 mark.

VMI was able to put a shot on goal in the 61st minute, as Simone Jimenez redirected a ball towards the net, but CU keeper Alexis Connors made the stop. Mackenzie Harrmann then relieved Hancock for VMI, doing so in the 64th minute, and was immediately tested by a Meyer header. The freshman was able to make the save, however, as she was on a try in the 77th minute as well.

The Keydets, meanwhile, had one more chance late, as they earned a pair of corner kicks in the 87th minute. Off the second of those efforts, a ball was popped to the head of Nicole Blixt, who tipped the ball toward Connors in goal, but the CU keeper was able to make the save to preserve the combined shutout.

The visitors held a 15-4 edge in shots on the day, while the Keydets posted a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks. Campbell's two goalies combined for three saves, while Hancock and Harrmann stopped five total shots. 

VMI women's soccer will return to action Saturday, facing Big South foe High Point at Patchin Field. Game time is set for 2 p.m.

Campbell continues the Virginia road trip Saturday at Radford. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. and will be broadcast on the Big South Sports Network.

Hollstegge's Hat-Trick Leads CSU Past Gardner-Webb in Big South Opener
BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. - Rebecca Hollstegge opened Big South Conference play with the first hat-trick for Charleston Southern since Marky Boyce's trio of goals in 2010 and Toni Lashley scored for the fourth consecutive game as the Lady Bucs topped Gardner-Webb on Thursday evening at Greene-Harbison Soccer Stadium, 4-1.

Hollstegge led CSU's scoring efforts in the game and evened the Buccaneers' all-time scoring leader with goals in the 34th, 57th and 61st minutes of the game to match Boyce's three goal effort on October 16, 2010 against UNC Asheville.

The teams battled through a scoreless 30 minutes to open the contest as Gardner-Webb challenged CSU keeper Caitlin Cody early in the contest, peppering the net with nine shots in the first period. Cody recorded six saves over the first frame to keep the Runnin' Bulldogs (1-7) at bay and off the scoreboard.

Gina Cox and Lashley lined up shot attempts at the GWU goal early in the first half, but Amy Schmitt keep the Buccaneers off the board until Hollstegge slipped through the Gardner-Webb defense and found the back of the net at the 33:41 mark to put Charleston Southern up 1-0.

The Buccaneers doubled the lead early in the second half, Emma Faubert lofted a corner kick into the box in front of the Gardner-Webb net and the ball bounced around several times before Hollstegge put a foot on it at the 56:15 mark, directing her shot past Schmitt and into the net to double the CSU lead.

Four minutes later, Chelsea Frankeny passed the ball through to Hollstegge and the senior midfielder from Detroit, Mich. connected for the third time in the game, drilling the ball into the net for the 3-0 advantage with under 30 minutes to play in the contest.

Lashley entered the game having scored goals in each of Charleston Southern's past three contests this season, connecting against Francis Marion, Georgia Southern and The Citadel, and she kept the streak alive in the 69th minute, continuing to press CSU's advantage. Lashley's unassisted goal at the 68:12 mark gave the Lady Bucs a commanding 4-0 lead.

Gardner-Webb's pushed their first point on the board at the 79:05 mark as Megan Loftin collected the cross from Brooke Kelly in the goal box and headed it past the CSU defense, breaking the seal on the net and ending the shutout attempt as the Runnin' Bulldogs attempted to build momentum for a comeback attempt.

The attempt was quickly snuffed out as CSU held possession for the final three minutes of the contest to close out the Big South Conference victory.

Hollstegge fell short of tying the all-time CSU record for goals scored in a game, missing tying Lauren Jones' total of four goals, which she recorded on October 23, 1999, against Liberty University.

Charleston Southern remains on the road in Big South Conference play as CSU travels to Rock Hill, S.C. to take on Winthrop University on Saturday, September 22nd. Kickoff between the Lady Bucs and the Eagles is set for 1 p.m.

Meanwhile, Gardner-Webb will return to the pitch on Saturday, Sept. 22 as it hosts Coastal Carolina for a 1:00pm match.

Megan David's First Career Goal Lifts Winthrop Over Coastal Carolina
ROCK HILL, SC - Megan David's first career goal lifts Winthrop to a 3-2 win over Coastal Carolina in the Big South Conference opener Thursday night at Eagle Field.

The Lady Eagles improve to 4-4 overall and 1-0 in the Big South, while the Chanticleers drop to 3-5 overall and 0-1 in Big South play.

The Lady Eagles struck early on Grace Radler's second goal of the season in the 9th minute.  Radler received the pass across the top of the 18-yard box on the far side of the field from Megan David.  Radler took her shot from a step inside the box hitting it low and across the goal into the near side netting.  The assist was the second of the season for David.  Just one minute later Winthrop struck again with a goal from Devin Puckett.  The Lady Eagles converted the goal off of a corner kick which rattled around inside the box before falling to Puckett at the 6-yard box.  Puckett ripped her shot past Coastal Carolina goalkeeper Megan Spencer giving Winthrop a 2-0 lead.

The Chanticleers cut the lead to 2-1 on a 26th minute goal by Kacey Kelley.  Kelly dropped into the midfield on the play, receiving the ball 40 yards from goal on the far side of the field, she dribbled at the Lady Eagles defense before taking a well struck shot from 25 yards out into the top corner of the net.

Despite trailing at the half, Coastal Carolina had a 10-5 advantage in shots.  Kelley led all players with three shots, while Freda led Winthrop with two shots.  Both Amelia Henderson and Spencer made three first half saves.

The game-winning goal for the Lady Eagles came in the 62nd minute when David and Radler reversed roles and connected for the second time.  Radler took on a couple of Chanticleer defenders on the near side before playing a cross into David who headed the ball into the net from six yards out.  The goal is David's first of her career, the assist for Radler is her team leading fourth of the season.

Coastal Carolina would once again cut the Winthrop lead to one in the 85th minute on Fia Jonsson's second goal of the year.  Jonsson beat a Lady Eagle defender, cutting in on her left foot for a shot from the edge of the 18-yard box past a diving Henderson.

Winthrop finished off the game with a couple of near misses from long range after the Chanticleers moved defender Cami Skladany to goalkeeper in an attempt to put more attacking players on the field.  Coastal Carolina ended the match with 15 shots while the Lady Eagles took 13.  Henderson finished the game with four saves in net while Spencer stopped five shots for the Chanticleers. 

Winthrop will be back in action on Saturday, September 22 at 1 p.m. as part of a day-night double header with the men's soccer team, when they host Charleston Southern at Eagle Field.

Coastal's next match is slated for Sept. 22 as it travels to Gardner-Webb for a 1:00pm match.

Late Goals Earn Radford 2-2 Draw with High Point in Big South Opener
RADFORD, Va. - Radford evened the match twice in the final seven minutes as it played to a 2-2 draw with High Point in the Big South opener for both squads on Thursday evening from Cupp Memorial Stadium.
The final seven-plus minutes provided excitement on both ends of the field. The Highlanders (4-2-1, 0-0-1 Big South) tied it at 1-1 when freshman Asyia Mitchell (Cary, N.C./Panther Creek) knotted the match with 7:09 left on a great individual effort and finish into the side netting.
With just under four minutes remaining, the Panthers (1-4-5, 0-0-1), reestablished their one-goal advantage (2-1) when Kelli Joline got in behind the defense and put away what looked like the game-winner. However, junior Rachel Conway (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada/Forest Heights Collegiate) recorded the equalizer just 16 seconds later on a long-range strike from 25 yards out that went off the fingertips of HPU keeper Jesse May.
It was Mitchell's first collegiate score and Conway's team-leading fourth goal of the season. Jenny Butler set up HPU's second goal with a long feed to an open Joline.

In the overtime sessions, Radford outshot High Point 6-3, including 4-1 in the second stanza, but each keeper was up to the task. Junior Che' Brown (Manassas Park, Va./Manassas Park) made two stops in the first 10 minutes, while May registered two saves and Ivy Cocklereece stopped the final attempt with 11 second in the match for her lone save of the night.
Brown finished with a season-high eight saves, five in the second half. She was also helped out in the 53rd minute when sophomore Stephanie Herb (Fairfax, Va./Robinson Secondary) cleared a ball off the line. May collected six saves.

High Point's fist half goal came on a counter in the 32nd minute following an offensive surge that featured a pair of blocked shots and a corner kick by the Highlanders. A ball headed out of the midfield by Katie Harris went off a Radford defenders' foot and rolled to Jackie Kessler, who ripped a shot off the inside of the post and into the goal.

The Highlanders, who had several possessions in the Panthers final third, could not generate many scoring opportunities despite outshooting them, 8-6 and recording two corner kicks in the first 45 minutes.

For the match, High Point held a slight advantage in shots, 24-22, while Radford earned eight corner kicks and surrendered just two. Kessler finished with a match-best seven shots, while Conway targeted the goal at team-high five times for Radford.

Radford remains at home to host Campbell on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in a rematch of the 2011 Big South Championship match.

High Point continues Big South play against on Saturday in Lexington, Va. The game begins at 2 p.m.

Longwood Wins Big South Conference Opener Over UNC Asheville, 4-0
FARMVILLE, Va. -- Longwood University won its first-ever Big South Conference women's soccer match Thursday night, taking a 4-0 home win past the University of North Carolina-Asheville at the Athletics Complex in Farmville.  Junior Kelsey Pardue|Henrico (Hermitage) scored what proved to be the winning goal in the fourth minute for the Lancers (6-3, 1-0 Big South), assisted by senior captain Lindsey Ottavio|Fairfax (W.T. Woodson), as the hosts scored all four goals during the first 21 minutes against the Bulldogs (2-7, 0-1 Big South).  Pardue added a second goal, and two assists, while sophomore Kelsey McDonald|Kennett Square, Pa. (Unionville) and freshman Alana Mackey|Leesburg (Loudoun County) each added goals as well. 
Longwood jumped out to the early advantage when Ottavio got free down the right side of the field and played a nice ball into the box to Pardue who finished with her hard shot into the net at 3:19.  Pardue returned the favor when she fed the ball in from the left side to Mackey who beat the keeper left at 11:43.  Pardue added another assist as she played a through-ball to McDonald who shot successfully to the right corner at 18:07.  Pardue completed the scoring outburst when she got free down the middle of the field and beat the keeper one-on-one at 21:00.  It capped an amazing effort by Pardue who was involved in all four goals (two goals, two assists). She now totals three goals and three assists this season.  It was Ottavio's second assist, while McDonald scored her first goal, and Mackey earned her first collegiate goal.
Longwood took a 10-9 edge in shots, it was 6-6 in attempts on goal, and the Lancers had a 6-4 edge on corner kicks.  Pardue had three shots, each on goal, to lead Longwood.  Senior keeper Kyra Byron|Richmond (Mills E. Godwin) played the first 45 minutes with three saves, junior keeper Shelby Hall|Purcellville (Loudoun Valley) played the first 32:44 of the second half with three saves, and redshirt-sophomore Dana Wallace|Charlottesville (Home Schooled) played the final 12:16 as the three combined for the Lancers' shutout.  It was the first collegiate action in front of the net for Wallace.
Kaitlyn Eckert had three shots to lead UNC Asheville, while keeper Heather Muller played the duration for the Bulldogs with two saves.  Longwood and UNC Asheville were playing for just the third time in the sport of women's soccer, and the Lancers now lead the series, 3-0.

Longwood will play again on Saturday afternoon, September 22, hosting Big South member Presbyterian College at the Athletics Complex in Farmville at 2 p.m.  It will be Joshua Bolt Day as the team will recognize Joshua and the Bolt family during a special pre-game ceremony, dedicating the match against the Blue Hose to Joshua.  Admission is free.

Meanwhile, Asheville will play at Liberty on Saturday, Sept. 22.  Match time is slated for 2:00pm.

Versatile Offensive Attack Puts Liberty Over Presbyterian College
LYNCHBURG, Va. - Liberty's offense fired on all cylinders, Thursday night. Thanks to a season-high five goals, the Lady Flames soccer team picked up its third straight win with a 5-1 victory over Presbyterian College, at the Campus East Fields.

The win in its conference opener helps Liberty improve to 7-3 (1-0 Big South) on the season. PC falls to 0-8 and 0-1 in Big South action. The Lady Flames are now 5-0-1 all-time against the Blue Hose.

Along with its goal total, Liberty also posted a season-high 31 shots, including 14 on goal.

Five different Lady Flames found the net in the contest - Brittany Aanderud, Rebekah Page, Heather Bentley, Helena Pereira and Jamie Bouffard. Maddie Boone was credited with an assist on the goal by Bouffard. Sara Simpson netted the lone marker for the Blue Hose.

Liberty got on the board quickly, scoring in the opening 46 seconds. With the Liberty attack pressing, Aanderud managed to gather a loose ball and was left alone long enough to send a shot into the left corner, putting the Lady Flames ahead early, 1-0. The tally marked Aanderud's first goal of her collegiate career.

Later in the period, Page followed suit, recording her first Liberty goal in the 14th minute. After the ball deflected off a defender, the freshman midfielder airmailed it into the upper left corner for the 2-0 advantage.

The Blue Hose divided their deficit in half during the 27th minute. With both teams jockeying for possession, Simpson scooped up the loose ball and placed a shot in the left corner, to make it 2-1 in favor of the Lady Flames.

Liberty posted its third goal in the 44th minute. Bentley became the third Lady Flame on the night to net her first collegiate goal, lofting the ball over goalkeeper Jordan Broadway and into the back of the net. The senior's marker made it, 3-1, at halftime.

Liberty outshot the Blue Hose in the opening 45 minutes, 16-4. The home team's defensive intensity picked up in the second period, with the Lady Flames allowing PC just one shot compared with 15 taken by the Liberty attack.

After shots by Bouffard and forward Megan Warner bounced off the crossbar and post earlier in the period, Pereira extended the Lady Flames, advantage in the 68th minute. Following a foul in the box, the sophomore lined up for a penalty kick, placing the ball in the left corner to put Liberty ahead, 4-1.

Bouffard rounded out the scoring on the night, marking her third straight game with a goal. In the 71st minute, the forward received a pass from Boone on the left side and booted it into the right corner, ultimately leading to the 5-1 victory.

Liberty outshot PC in the contest, 31-5, and held a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks. Karen Blocker played the full 90 minutes in the net for Liberty, finishing with two saves. Broadway played in between the pipes for the opening 76:29, making six stops. Sydney Fontenot took over for the final 13:31, concluding the contest with three saves.

The Lady Flames return to action at the Campus East Fields on Saturday, continuing conference play against UNC Asheville. Game time is slated for 2 p.m.

The Blue Hose stay in Virginia for their next match, a Saturday Big South Conference tilt at Longwood. The opening whistle is slated for 2 p.m.