Campbell, Radford, High Point, Longwood & CSU Win


VMI Falls to Charleston Southern, 4-0
LEXINGTON, Va. - Toni Lashley scored twice and added an assist for the visiting Charleston Southern Lady Bucs, as they defeated the VMI Keydets 4-0 in Big South women's soccer action contested Thursday afternoon at VMI's Patchin Field.

After VMI (1-10, 0-5 Big South) had controlled the first 20 minutes of play, CSU's (5-6-1, 3-2 BSC) Lashley got free in space in the 22nd minute, about 25 yards out and slightly to the left of VMI keeper Kirsten Hancock. The forward then played a long cross to teammate Allison Lewis, who finished at the far post to put the Lady Bucs up 1-0. Lashley then scored CSU's next two markers, her seventh and eighth of the year, to make it a 3-0 game, and the visitors added a late goal to account for the final margin.

Despite the final score, the Keydets controlled the majority of the stat categories, outshooting CSU 12-10 and forcing Lady Buc goalie Caitlin Cody to make eight saves. The Keydets also held a 6-4 edge in corner kicks on the afternoon.

The Keydets controlled possession early, keeping the ball in their offensive end for the majority of the first 20 minutes. Allie Segura and Simone Jimenez had shots in the fourth minute, while, off counters, CSU attempted tries in the 12th and 17th minutes. That 17th minute shot was by Gina Cox, and forced the first save of the match, a stop by Hancock. The next shot try was Lewis' goal off Lashley's assist, which came at 21:32 and put CSU ahead, 1-0.

Lashley struck again less than two minutes later, firing a long chip to the left post. The shot from 25 yards out beat Hancock and gave the visitors a 2-0 cushion.

After a CSU try in the 25th minute, the Keydets went back on the attack. Meredith Baldasare, who was making her first career start, missed high at 25:40, and Allie Segura forced a Cody save at 32:46.

Segura was again stopped by Cody in the 27th minute, as was Kacey Hall in the 40th, as VMI had a run of four straight shots. The Lady Bucs' Hannah Thomas misfired in the 42nd minute, and Courtney Mason rounded out the first half with another shot on goal, this one stopped by Cody was 16 seconds left in the period.

With CSU leading 2-0 at halftime, VMI held a 7-6 edge in shots, but it was Cody's eight saves that had made the difference.

The second half got underway slowly, as neither team had a shot for the first 7:45, a run that was stopped when Hall put a shot on the CSU net at 52:45. Cody was up to the task, however, and the game's next shot on goal was put into the back of the net. Lashley and Rebecca Hollstegge ran a combination play, a give and go, inside the CSU offensive zone. The play that got Lashley room just on the left side of the field, and she was able to put the resulting shot by VMI keeper Mackenzie Harrmann to make it a 3-0 contest. The goal pushed Lashley's season total to eight.

The teams continued to go back and forth, generating four corner kicks over the next 8:10, with the next shot being a Sydnie Bligh attempt that went high in the 64th minute. Cody then stopped Baldasare in the 65th and Segura in the 68th, and the visitors capped the scoring in the 80th minute.

Chelsea Frankeny got free 20 yards out, dribbled in and fired a shot to the far post, beating Harrmann for her third goal of the year and a 4-0 Charleston Southern advantage. Cody made one additional save, a stop on Erika Boggs in the 84th minute, to preserve the final margin.

VMI women's soccer will return to action Saturday, taking on Coastal Carolina at Patchin Field. Game time is set for 11 a.m.

Charleston Southern will return to the field on Saturday, Oct. 6 as it travels to Radford for a 2:00pm match.

Longwood Defeats Big South Foe Winthrop, 2-1 in Overtime
FARMVILLE, Va. -- Longwood University remained unbeaten at home in Big South Conference women's soccer action on Thursday evening, taking a thrilling 2-1 overtime victory past Winthrop University at the Athletics Complex in Farmville.  Sophomore Kylie Dyer|Farmville (Prince Edward County) scored the winning goal in the fourth minute of overtime for the Lancers (9-4, 4-1 Big South), assisted by classmate Kelsey McDonald|Kennett Square, Pa. (Unionville), as the hosts improved to 3-0 in league home matches with the win against the visiting Eagles (6-5-1, 3-1-1 Big South).  McDonald added a goal in the 22nd minute, assisted by junior Kelsey Pardue|Henrico (Hermitage). 
Longwood led 1-0 at the intermission after McDonald scored the opening goal at 21:44, finishing a well-played through ball down the left side from Pardue.  It was McDonald's second goal this season, and the fifth assist for Pardue, who leads the conference in scoring with 15 points (five goals, five assists).  Winthrop came out strong in the second half and tied the game at 1-1 with a goal from Grace Radler at 64:49, assisted by Taylor Walton on a ball played in from the right side.  It remained 1-1 through 90 minutes, though the Lancers almost ended it in regulation on a solid shot by senior captain Lindsey Ottavio|Fairfax (W.T. Woodson) with less than a minute on the clock that was saved by Eagles' keeper Amelia Henderson.
In the overtime period, Dyer collected a pass to the box from McDonald on the left side and promptly finished it into the net with a hard shot to the lower left corner at 93:11.  It was Dyer's third goal this fall, and the first game-winning goal of her career.
Longwood had a 14-7 advantage in shots, including 6-3 in attempts on goal, and it was 7-1 on corner kicks.  Ottavio and McDonald each had three shots, two on goal, while Dyer and Pardue each added two shots, one on goal.  Senior keeper Kyra Byron|Richmond (Mills E. Godwin) played the duration in front of the net for the Lancers with two saves.
Radler had two shots, both on goal, for Winthrop, while Henderson played the duration for the Eagles with four saves.
Longwood and Winthrop were playing for the first time in the sport of women's soccer, and the Lancers now lead the series, 1-0.

Longwood will play again on Saturday afternoon, October 6, hosting Big South member Gardner-Webb University at the Athletics Complex in Farmville at 4 p.m.  The women's soccer program will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of its 2002 Carolinas-Virginia Athletic Conference Championship, including a special halftime recognition of that title-winning team.

Winthrop returns to the pitch on Saturday, Oct. 6 as it travels to Liberty for a 7:00pm match.

Highlanders Defeat Coastal Carolina, 2-0
RADFORD, Va. - Radford women's soccer scored a pair of second half goals and junior Che' Brown (Manassas Park, Va./Manassas Park) made six saves as the Highlanders (8-2-1, 4-0-1 Big South) shut out Coastal Carolina, 2-0 in Big South action Thursday evening from Cupp Memorial Stadium.

Brown recorded her fifth clean sheet of the season and 19th of her career, tying Nyiesha Ford for second in the Radford record books. It was also the sixth shutout of season for the Highlanders and the 28th since 2010.

Junior Julie Ruh'e (Monrovia, Md./Urbana) and sophomore Kara Nay (Montclair, Va./Forest Park) each netted their fourth goals of the season as Radford moved its unbeaten streak to eight matches, tied for the third longest stretch in program history. It was Ruh'e's eighth game-winning goal tying her for third in the record books.
Ruh'e was instant offense for Radford after sitting out the first half. Her insertion into the second half lineup paid huge dividends as her first touch was a low rocket shot that slipped off the keeper's mitts and into the goal just 1:29 into the stanza.
The Chanticleers (5-7, 2-3) continued to put pressure on the Highlanders, but Brown made two more saves in the second half and stopped several other Coastal offensive services into the box.
Another miscue by the keeper in the 80th minute led to the Nay's insurance goal. A chip in to the box by junior Rachel Conway (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada/Forest Heights Collegiate) skipped off the keeper to senior Mary Wiley (Radford, Va./Radford). She touched it to Nay, who finished into the wide-open net.
The teams went into the break scoreless after an evenly possessed first half. Each squad recorded six shots with Radford earning three corners to Coastal's two. Brown kept the Chanticleers off the board with four saves. Her counterpart Megan Spencer had to stop one Highlander shot on goal.
Spencer finished with two saves and was lifted for Faith Farley, who stopped one shot in the final nine minutes. Radford outshot Coastal, 15-12. Junior Sahar Aflaki (Gainesville, Va./Battlefield) and Coastal's Kacey Kelley each charted a match-best four shots.

Radford remains at home on Saturday for a 2:00 p.m match against Charleston Southern as part of the University's Fall Homecoming. The Chanticleers head to VMI and will take on the Keydets on Saturday at 11:00 a.m.

Kessler Brace Lifts High Point to 2-0 Win Over PC
Sophomore Jacky Kessler scored twice on Thursday night to lead the High Point University women's soccer team to a 2-0 win over Presbyterian College in Big South action at Vert Stadium. The Panthers remain undefeated in conference play with the win over the Blue Hose.
The two-goal game was a first for Kessler who entered the contest with three goals in her HPU career. Kessler is the fourth different High Point player to record a multi-goal game this season along with senior Jenny Butler and juniors Becca Hemby and Taylor Parker.
With the win, HPU returns to .500 on the year with a 4-4-6 overall record and improves to 3-0-2 overall. The Panthers are one of just two teams along with Radford that remain undefeated in Big South action this season. High Point also remains undefeated at home in 2012 with a 2-0-2 mark in four games.
Kessler scored her first goal of the game in the 21st minute with an impressive solo effort to put HPU ahead, 1-0. Kessler dispossessed a defender and made a run up the right side before hitting a shot across her body to the far post for her second goal of the season.
The Panthers continued to pepper the Presbyterian goal following Kessler's score, but were unable to find a second score until the 54th minute when the forward found the back of the net off a set piece to push the High Point lead to 2-0. HPU earned a corner kick which was taken from the right corner by Parker. The midfielder hit an out-swinger to the far post where Kessler beat her marker and hit a header off the ground past the keeper and into the goal.
HPU controlled the run of play throughout the game, owning most of the possession in the contest and outshooting the Blue Hose by a 19-3 margin. The Panthers held Presbyterian College without a shot on goal in the game on the way to their second shutout of the season. Freshman Ivy Cocklereece picked up her second collegiate win after getting the start and playing the first half.
High Point will return to Vert Stadium for its next game on Saturday, Oct. 6, at 1 p.m., when it is set to play UNC Asheville. The Bulldogs dropped a narrow 3-2 decision at Campbell on Thursday and are 3-10-0 overall and 1-4-0 in the Big South in 2012. HPU holds an 8-7-2 edge in the all-time series after picking up a 4-0 win at Asheville last season.

Presbyterian's next match is slated for Saturday, Oct. 6 as it travels to Campbell.  Match time is scheduled for 7:00pm.

Clark's Last-Minute Goal Clinches Win for Camels
Buies Creek, N.C. - With 12 seconds left in regulation, sophomore Ashley Clark scored from a Kirsty Meyer assist, lifting the Camels to a 3-2 win over UNC Asheville in Buies Creek Thursday night. Seniors Taylor Brown and Cissy Nitz added first half goals as Campbell improved to 8-3-1 overall and to 3-2-0 in Big South Conference play.

The Fighting Camels outshot the Bulldogs 18-13 over the course of the game.

Campbell tested Asheville keeper Heather Muller early, as junior Caitlin Schneider hit three shots on-goal in the first 10 minutes. The Camels continued to strike, taking seven shots in the opening 20 minutes.

Asheville struck first in the 26th minute as Hanna Jeske crossed the ball to Kaitlyn Eckert, who took a shot from the top of the penalty box. The ball sailed by Campbell keeper Ryann Torrero to make the score 1-0.

The Bulldogs kept the pressure on the Camels' back line, taking two more shots on-goal in the 38th minute, but Torrero was able to make the saves.

Asheville widened the scoring gap to 2-0 in the 40th minute, as Amanda Dailor dribbled down the field to the top of the box, and had a shot that got past Torrero.

Two minutes later, a Bulldog defender took down a driving Meyer in the Asheville penalty area, and the Camels were awarded a penalty kick. Senior Taylor Brown converted the kick for her fifth goal of the season, making the score 2-1 in favor of the Bulldogs.

In the 44th minute, the Camels tied the score as junior Hilliary Gupton booted the ball to senior Cissy Nitz, who took on Muller in the penalty area, and walked the ball into the back of the net.

The half ended tied at 2-2, with both Campbell scores coming in the final five minutes of the period

To start the second half, both teams came out striking. In the 44th minute, Clark had another breakaway and met a challenge from Muller, but her shot once again broke wide.

Less than 45 seconds later, Asheville's Paige Trent took a point-blank shot from the six yar box, but Torrero got a hand on it and pushed the ball over the crossbar.

At the 79 minute mark, Meyer hit the ball to Clark for another break, but Muller slid in front to save the goal.

With 52 seconds left in regulation, Meyer had a chance on a breakaway, but for the final time, the shot went wide.

The game-clinching goal for the Camels finally came with 12 seconds to go. Meyer duplicated her earlier pass to Clark, who dribbled the ball in on the last breakaway shot of the game, and this time converted the score, putting Campbell up 3-2.

Asheville had the final scoring opportunity of the game with .2 seconds left to play, and a foul was called on Campbell. Dailor took the free kick from just outside the penalty box, but Torrero was able to make her eighth save of the day to preserve the lead.

The Camels finished with 12 shots on goal, and Muller saved nine. The Bulldogs put 10 shots on frame, with Torrero blocking eight.

Campbell returns to action 7 p.m. Saturday at Eakes Athletic Complex to take on Presbyterian, who fell to High Point 2-0 Thursday.

UNC Asheville will return to pitch on Saturday, Oct. 6 at High Point.  Game time is scheduled for 1:00pm.

Liberty and Gardner-Webb End in Stalemate
LYNCHBURG, Va. - After a two-game skid on the road, the Liberty women's soccer team stepped onto the East Campus Fields, Thursday night, hosting Gardner-Webb in Big South action. Despite posting a season-high shot total and outshooting the Runnin' Bulldogs, 34-6, the contest ended in a 1-1 tie.

The draw marks the second straight between the two squads during the regular season. The stalemate is also the third consecutive tie in the series, as Liberty and Gardner-Webb played to a 0-0 draw during the 2010 Big South Championship quarterfinals on Nov. 6, 2010. Gardner-Webb advanced to the semifinals on penalty kicks, 4-2. Liberty is now 3-1-4 all-time against the Runnin' Bulldogs.

With the tie, Liberty is 8-5-1 on the season and 2-2-1 in conference play. Gardner-Webb is 2-9-1 overall and 1-3-1 in the Big South.

Karen Blocker achieved a milestone in the contest, surpassing the 300 save mark. The redshirt senior played the entire contest, finishing with four saves. Blocker now has 303 saves for her Liberty career and is just the second goalkeeper in program history to make 300 saves.

Forward Nichole Poppe was credited with the lone goal for the Runnin' Bulldogs, receiving an assist from midfielder Samantha Gutierrez.

Liberty freshman forward Jaime Bouffard garnered her team-leading fifth goal of the season for the Lady Flames, while Maddie Boone chipped in the helper.

Liberty outshot Gardner-Webb in the opening period, 16-1. The Lady Flames nearly got on the board in the beginning of the third minute with a Casey Norris header that ricocheted off the crossbar. After two shots went wide of the goal, Rebecca Smith and Crystal Elmers each took attempts on net in the ninth and 11th minute, respectively. However, Gardner-Webb goalkeeper Amy Schmitt was able to make both stops, keeping the game scoreless.

Head coach Jessica Hain's squad continued to apply offensive pressure, recording six more shots over the ensuing 18:30. Bouffard capped the span with another shot on goal, but once again Schmitt was there to make the grab.

The Lady Flames posted five more shots in the period, two of which were snagged by Schmitt. Megan Curan recorded the lone shot on goal for Gardner-Webb in the 40th minute. Needing just one stop to make history, Blocker thwarted the attempt for her 300th career save, ultimately leading to a scoreless tie at halftime.

Liberty began the second period with a Crystal Elmers shot on goal in the opening 30 seconds, which resulted in Schmitt's sixth save.

In the 51st minute, Gutierrez booted the ball at the Liberty net, but Blocker corralled the attempt.

After five more Liberty shots including a Megan Warner blast that led to another Schmitt save, Gardner-Webb was able to find the mark at the opposite end.

At the top of the 67th minute, Gutierrez sent a pass from the right side of the 18-yard box to Poppe. The freshman then slammed the ball into the back of the net, putting the visitors, ahead, 1-0.

Liberty nearly found the equalizer in the 76th minute. Following a corner kick by Brittany Aanderud, Stell connected on a header, which bounced off the crossbar. Norris followed up with a header of her own, but the shot was blocked, preventing the Lady Flames from evening the odds.

Liberty broke the ice in the 87th minute, thanks to a highlight reel goal by Bouffard. After receiving a pass from Smith, the freshman headed the ball into the air and followed up with a kick off her left foot, which angled into the back of the net, knotting the contest at one.

Liberty feverishly tried to put the game away in regulation with a second goal, but was unable to find the net again, setting up overtime.

In the first overtime, Liberty took two shots toward the close of the extra period. After an attempt by Aanderud sailed wide in the 99th minute, Maddie Boone nearly played heroine with a shot on goal in the final second. Despite the effort, Schmitt made the stop, sending the contest to a second overtime.

During the final 10 minutes, Liberty received shots in the 106th and 107th minutes from Bouffard and sophomore Geena Swentik, each resulting in Schmitt saves. Gardner-Webb took one final corner kick in the last 28 seconds, but could not capitalize, leading to the 1-1 tie.

In addition to outshooting the Runnin' Bulldogs, Liberty held a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks. Like Blocker, Schmitt played the full contest, finishing with 12 saves.

Liberty returns to action this Saturday on Homecoming Weekend, playing to host to Winthrop. Game time at the East Campus Fields is slated for 7 p.m.