Campbell Downs Va. Tech; Gardner-Webb Drops App. State


Tatsumi's Golden Goal in the Second Overtime Lifts GWU to a 3-2 Win over Appalachian State
Boiling Springs, N.C. - Redshirt-junior Satoshi Tatsumi scored the game-winning goal in the 107th minute of the contest, as the Runnin' Bulldogs defeated Appalachian State, 3-2, in double overtime on Tuesday night at Greene-Harbison Field in Boiling Springs, N.C.
The win ends GWU's winless-streak at 11 matches dating back to last season and is the Runnin' Bulldogs first overtime victory since 2006.
Gardner-Webb improves to 1-8-1 overall on the season and posts its first win over Appalachian State, who falls to 4-5-1 on the season, since 2005.
The Runnin' Bulldogs intensity and game plan was a 180 degree change from Saturday night, a 6-1 loss to Radford, as the home team controlled possession of the ball for most of the first half and put pressure on the Mountaineers on both sides of the midline.
GWU's first scoring chance came in the 17th minute, as sophomore Ethan Senger intercepted a pass between two of the Mountaineers backline defenders and took on the ASU goalkeeper Paul West who was able tomake a diving safe on Senger's sliding shot attempt.
After GWU goalkeeper Scott Krotee made his second save of the match on a Boubacar Toure shot attempt in the 22nd minute, the Runnin' Bulldogs responded only seven minutes later, as sophomore Denzel Clarke made a touch pass to redshirt-junior Taylor Jordan who lined up a shot off his right foot that hit off a Appalachian State defender and deflected past West and into the top right corner of the goal to put the home team in front 1-0. 
The goal was Jordan's second of the season, while the assist was Clarke's first on the year.
A header by Clarke in the 31st minute and a shot off the left foot of Clarke once more in the 33rd minute both sailed high, as GWU continued to control the pace and style of play throughout the first half.
A one-v-one shot attempt by Chris Davis against West was knocked offline in the 42nd minute, as the Runnin' Bulldogs settled with a 1-0 lead at the halftime intermission.
In the second half, the pace of the game changed drastically, as it was the Mountaineers who were pushing the issue on the offensive end and putting the pressure on the Runnin' Bulldogs defense.
Appalachian State tied the match up at 1-1 in the 53rdminute, as Ryan Lavigne received a pass from Sekani Sinclair in a very crowded box and blasted a shot into the net just inside the left back post.
After GWU's go-ahead shot attempts were both blocked in the 55th minute, Appalachian State countered on a blocked free kick by the Runnin' Bulldogs, as Kristian Lee-Him played the ball ahead to fellow teammate Stanley Broaden who got behind the backline of the GWU defense. Broaden then faked a move to the inside, which made GWU's Krotee dive at the ball, and then took one touch and posted a shot into an open net to put the visitors on top 2-0.
Refusing to quit, the Runnin' Bulldogs knotted the score back up in the 62nd minute with a little help from the Mountaineers. Krotee played a goal kick over top of the Appalachian State defense, where junior Chijioke Akujuobi tracked down the ball.  In the process, Akujuobi was pulled down from behind in the box by aMountaineer defender to give the Runnin' Bulldogs a penalty kick.
On the penalty kick, junior Marius Hammersmark made good on the free shot attempt, tying the score back up at 2-2 with 29 minutes to go in regulation.
Krotee would come up big once more for the Runnin' Bulldogs over the final 29 minutes of play, as the redshirt-senior tallied two more stops to help keep the Mountaineers from finding that go-ahead goal.
GWU's last chance effort in the 90th minute, a header by Akujuobi off a cross, which was knocked away at the last second by a Appalachian State defender just in front of the right front post, came up just short to send the game into overtime.
The fast pace and the physical play over the full 90 minutes of play showed on both teams in the overtime period, yet the Mountaineers looked to score the game-winning goal early.
Yet Krotee was up to the task, as he stopped a back-to-back shot attempts by Toure in the first two minutes of the extra frame, then recorded a third save on another Toure shot attempt in the 96th minute.
GWU's lone scoring chance of the first overtime came in the 99th minute, as Clarke took a quick indirect free kick off a called Appalachian State foul that slid through the defense and was corralled by a diving West at the very last minute to keep the score locked up at 2-2 and send the game into a second overtime.
After a header off the head of Harrison Delbridge sailed high for the Mountaineers in the 102nd minute, Appalachian State's best chance to end the match came only a minute later when Broaden's shot attempt from just outside the left side of the box hit off the right front post and was just inches away from ending the match in favor of the Mountaineers.
Gardner-Webb took advantage when in the 106th minute Tatsumi had a scoring chance punched away by West and out of bounds to give the home team a corner kick. 
On the Runnin' Bulldogs' eighth corner kick of the night, Hammersmark played the ball to the front left post where a cutting Tatsumi put his head on the ball and sent it sailing just inside the post and into the back of the net to give the home team the 3-2 double overtime win.
The goal was Tatsumi's second of the season, while the assist was Hammersmark's first on the year.
Gardner-Webb held its own in the shots category, as Appalachian State held a slight 20-17 advantage overall, while the Runnin' Bulldogs held a slight 8-7 advantage in corner kicks.
Krotee earned his first win of the season, as he tallied nine saves, including three in the overtime periods, to help lead GWU to the 3-2 win.
Gardner-Webb will jump back into Big South Conference play on Saturday afternoon, as the Runnin' Bulldogs will host VMI at 2 p.m. as part of the Gardner-Webb Men's Soccer Alumni Weekend.  Make sure to get to the match early for a special presentation prior to the kick-off.

Campbell Blanks Virginia Tech 3-0, Improves to 3-0-1 vs. ACC schools Over Last Two Years
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Jhuvon Francis scored twice, while Mitchell Cardenas added a goal and two assists to lead Campbell to a 3-0 men's soccer win over Virginia Tech Tuesday night at the Eakes Athletic Complex.

The Camels (7-2-1) broke open a scoreless game with three goals in a 13:23 span early in the second half to extend their winning streak to three matches.  Virginia Tech (4-5-1) went 54 minutes without a shot and dropped its second-straight outing.

Campbell improved to 3-0-1 against Atlantic Coast Conference members over the last two years, including a pair of victories over NC State and last season's draw at Blacksburg.

A Big South Conference all-freshman team member in 2012, Francis recorded his first career multi-goal game.  The sophomore from Kingston, Jamaica struck in the 50th minute for what proved to be his second match-winner in as many outings; then added his third goal of the year in the 63rd on a left-footed half-volley inside the box.

Cardenas continued his climb up Campbell's all-time scoring list with a 4-point outing.  He moved into 8th place on the program's career assists charts and into a tie for 20th in points with 64 on 18 goals and 28 assists.  The senior midfielder from Mexico City has contributed at least one point in 8 of Campbell's 10 games this year.

Freshman Isaiah Page chipped in his first two points of his career with assists on Campbell's first two goals.  Ethan Hall made 2 saves in the Camel nets for his fifth shutout of the year, and second clean sheet against an ACC foe (including last month's 2-0 win at No.-17 NC State).

The Camels finished with an 18-7 edge in shots, 9-2 in shots on goal.

After a scoreless first half, Francis finished a build-up in the 50th minute.  Cardenas played the ball down the left flank to Page, who squared it across the box, where Francis slotted it in the right side of keeper Kyle Renfro's net.

Just under six minutes later, Cardenas netted his fourth goal of the year as Page found Ricki Gaez, who provided the final ball inside the box.  Cardenas calmly hit a low right-footed effort inside the left post to double Campbell's advantage.

The Hokies nearly cut the lead in half in the 57th minute on Daniel Lauretano's left-footed shot with Hall off his line.  However, Campbell midfielder Justin Franz cleared the ball off the line for a corner kick to preserve the 1-0 edge.

Campbell again attacked down the left side in the 63rd minute when Cardenas fed Bryce Miller, who lofted a cross into the area, where Francis stretched his left leg for a side volley for his third goal of the year.

Hall's reaction save in the 74th minute off Ben Strong's near-post header, proved to be the only time the junior keeper had to clear his area in the second period.

Campbell hit the woodwork twice in the opening half and held a 10-2 edge in shots, but could not beat Renfro.

In the second minute of play, Gaez struck a curling shot from the left side that hit the right post.

Lauretano controlled a loose ball in the fourth minute and his left-footed effort from outside the box forced a diving save from Hall.

One minute later, Jed Prater struck a shot that missed wide of the right post, but Tech went the 54 minutes without an attempt.

In the 10th minute, Francis broke free in the midfield and struck a right-footed dipping shot that Renfroe left his feet to tip away for a corner kick.

Less than two minutes later, Gaez's attempt from a sharp right angle grazed the top of the cross bar.  Gaez and Cardenas combined on a 1-2 in the final minute, but Renfroe stretched to his right to deflect Gaez' shot for another corner.