Big South Football Preview: Week 5
Big South Conference football resumes this Saturday, Sept. 29 with three teams in action, including Stony Brook in a nationally-televised game at Army. A printable version of this preview is available to the right and below.
In addition to the information below, listen to this week's BB&T Big South Football Round-Up, as we review and preview the gridiron goings-on around the Conference!
#18/18 STONY BROOK SEAWOLVES (3-1) at Army Black Knights (0-3) • Michie Stadium • 12:00pm • CBS Sports Network
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and Stony Brook's second FBS opponent in three weeks.
- The Seawolves have out-scored their opponents 69-7 in the first quarter this season.
- RB MIGUEL MAYSONET (3,341) needs 69 rushing yards to move into second-place in Big South history.
- QB KYLE ESSINGTON has thrown a touchdown pass in eight consecutive games (17 TDs in that span).
- Through four games this season, the Seawolves have allowed just two sacks.
COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS (2-2) at #16/17 Appalachian State Mountaineers (2-2) • Kidd Brewer Stadium • 3:30pm
- This is the third meeting between the schools. Appalachian State leads the series, 2-0.
- The Chanticleers are 6-7 all-time vs. SoCon members, and have won four of those contests on the road.
- QB ARAMIS HILLARY has thrown for more than 200 yards in five consecutive games (268.0 average).
- RB JEREMY HEIGHT ranks 10th in the nation in all-purpose yards per game with 170.00.
- CCU is the only Big South team with two players averaging 10.0 tackles per game (QUINN BACKUS, MIKE McCLURE).
PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE BLUE HOSE (1-3) at Davidson Wildcats (0-3) • Richardson Stadium • 6:00pm
- This is the 30th meeting between the schools. Davidson leads the series, 15-12-2.
- Saturday's game will be the first match-up at Davidson since 1967, which was won by the Wildcats, 38-0.
- PC is looking for its first non-Conference road victory since the 2007 season.
- RB LANCE BYRD (2,195) needs 20 rushing yards to move into 11th on the Big South's all-time rushing list.
- WR MICHAEL RUFF needs 98 yards to become the 12th player in League history with 3,000 all-purpose yards.
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (1-3) idle
- Charleston Southern is idle this week and returns to action Oct. 6 in its Big South opener at Stony Brook.
- The Buccaneers are in the midst of a three-game road swing and won't play at home until Oct. 13.
- QB MALCOLM DIXON has rushed and passed for a touchdown in the same game twice this season.
- DB CHARLES JAMES needs one punt return to move into the Big South's all-time Top 10 in the category.
- CSU is first in the Big South in red zone defense, allowing 66.7 percent of possessions to score.
GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN' BULLDOGS (0-4) idle
- Gardner-Webb is idle this week and returns to action Oct. 6 in its Big South opener at Liberty.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs are 0-4 for the first time since 1996 and have not started 0-5 since 1990.
- TE SETH CRANFILL leads all Big South tight ends in receptions with 16, which is tied for fifth in the League.
- QB LUCAS BEATTY enters the bye week second in the Big South in passing yards per game (190.2).
- RB KENNY LITTLE (1,584) needs 24 rushing yards to move into 21st-place on the Big South rushing list.
LIBERTY FLAMES (0-4) idle
- Liberty is idle this week and returns to action Oct. 6 in its Big South opener against Gardner-Webb.
- The Flames are 0-4 for the first time since 1982 and just the third time in program history.
- Liberty has lost three of its four games by seven points-or-less for a combined 12 points in those contests.
- WR PAT KELLY leads the Big South with 34 receptions and ranks seventh nationally with 8.50 per game.
- QB JOSH WOODRUM is 54-of-71 passing ( =76.1 percent) for 558 yards and three TDs in his last two starts.
VMI KEYDETS (1-3) idle
- VMI is idle this week and returns to action Oct. 6 in its Big South opener against Presbyterian College.
- The Keydets are third in the Big South in passing offense with 194.5 yards per game.
- RB JABARI TURNER has scored three of VMI's five touchdowns this season.
- QB ERIC KORDENBROCK is currently 12th in Big South history in both passing yards and completions.
- VMI ranks second in the Big South in limiting opponents' third-down success (33.3 percent allowed).