Big South Football Preview: Week 4
Big South Conference football resumes this Saturday, Sept. 22 with all seven teams in action, including five games receiving national television coverage. A printable version of this preview is available to the right and below.
In addition to the information below, listen to this week's BB&T Big South Football Round-Up, as we review and preview the gridiron goings-on around the Conference!
Furman Paladins (0-3) at PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE BLUE HOSE (1-2) • Bailey Memorial Stadium • 12:00pm • CSS, Big South Network presented by State Farm, ESPN3
- This is the 54th meeting between the schools. Furman leads the series, 41-11-1.
- Saturday's game is the first meeting in Clinton since 1975, and just the eighth meeting on PC's campus.
- The Blue Hose's last win in the series was in 1979, a 17-10 victory in Greenville on Sept. 15.
- RB LANCE BYRD (2,169) needs 46 rushing yards to move into 11th on the Big South's all-time rushing list.
- PC is looking to win four consecutive home games for the first time since winning five-straight in 2006-07.
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (0-3) at Shorter Hawks (2-1) • Historic Barron Stadium • 1:30pm
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and Charleston Southern's second consecutive first-time foe.
- The Buccaneers are looking for their first road win since Nov. 7, 2009 (W, 46-32 at Presbyterian).
- DB CHARLES JAMES is tied for third in Big South history with 11 career interceptions.
- Charleston Southern has allowed an average of just 106.0 rushing yards the past two weeks.
- CSU is tops in the Big South in red zone defense (60.0 percent allowed) and tied for second in sacks (5).
GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN' BULLDOGS (0-3) at Pittsburgh Panthers (1-2) • Heinz Field • 3:30pm • ESPN3
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and the second of three first-time opponents for GWU.
- Gardner-Webb is playing its sixth FBS opponent since 2009, and third under head coach RON DICKERSON, JR.
- QB LUCAS BEATTY has already surpassed his season totals from all of last year in completions and yardage.
- LB TANNER BURCH leads the Big South in tackles per game with an average of 13.7.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs have not started a season 0-4 since the 1996 campaign.
VMI KEYDETS (0-3) at Navy Midshipmen (0-2) • Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium • 3:30pm • CBS Sports Network
- This is the ninth meeting between the schools, but first since 2003. Navy leads the series, 8-0.
- Saturday's game marks the fourth time in the last six years that VMI will appear on a national cable network.
- QB ERIC KORDENBROCK is sixth in VMI history with 3,161 career passing yards.
- WR JAMES ROGERS leads the offense with 11 receptions and 111 receiving yards.
- RB JABARI TURNER has accounted for three of VMI's five touchdowns this season (two rush, one receive).
Colgate Raiders (1-2) at #20/20 STONY BROOK SEAWOLVES (2-1) • LaValle Stadium • 6:00pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the third meeting between the schools, and the series is tied at 1-1.
- Stony Brook's win in the series was a 42-26 home victory in the 2008 season opener.
- The Seawolves are looking to extend their home winning streak to nine on Saturday.
- QB KYLE ESSINGTON has thrown six of his 19 completions this season for touchdowns.
- RB MIGUEL MAYSONET (3,143) needs 81 rushing yards to move into third-place in Big South history.
COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS (2-1) at Toledo Rockets (2-1) • Glass Bowl • 7:00pm • ESPN3
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and marks Coastal Carolina's second-ever MAC opponent.
- Coastal Carolina carries a three-game road win streak into Saturday's contest.
- The Chanticleers rank second in the Big South in red zone offense with a 90.9 percentage.
- WR MATT HAZEL has caught a touchdown pass in five consecutive games.
- QB ARAMIS HILLARY has thrown for more than 200 yards in four-straight contests.
#13/16 Lehigh Mountain Hawks (3-0) at LIBERTY FLAMES (0-3) • Williams Stadium • 7:00pm • Flames Sports Network, Big South Network presented by State Farm, ESPN3
- This is the third meeting between the schools. Lehigh leads the series, 2-0.
- Liberty is playing its third consecutive nationally-ranked opponent this Saturday.
- The Flames rank first in the Big South in passing defense, having allowed just 127.3 yards per game.
- WR PAT KELLY (1,466) needs 34 receiving yards for 1,500 in his career.
- Liberty is looking to avoid its first 0-4 start since the 1982 season, and third overall in program history.