Big South Football Preview: Week 3
Big South Conference football resumes this Saturday, Sept. 15 with all seven teams in action, including two games against nationally-ranked FCS opponents and three contests against FBS members. A printable version of this preview is available to the right and below.
In addition to the information below, listen to this week's BB&T Big South Football Round-Up, as we review and preview the gridiron goings-on around the Conference!
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (0-2) at Illinois Fighting Illini • Memorial Stadium • 12:00pm • Big Ten Network
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and Charleston Southern's first against a Big Ten opponent.
- Saturday's game marks the Buccaneers' ninth game against an FBS program since 2008.
- NATHAN PERERA (134) and CHASE JONES (105) had 100 yards receiving last week against Jacksonville.
- The Bucs held Jacksonville to 98 rushing yards, the fewest by a non-Conference foe since 2010 (Hawai'i).
- DB CHARLES JAMES is seventh in Big South history with 30 career passes defended (10 INT, 20 PBU).
PREBYTERIAN COLLEGE BLUE HOSE (1-1) at Vanderbilt Commodores (0-2) • Vanderbilt Stadium • 12:30pm • CSS, ESPN3
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and Presbyterian's first against an SEC opponent.
- Saturday's game marks the Blue Hose's fifth game against an FBS program under HAROLD NICHOLS.
- PC has not been shutout in its last 65 contests, dating back to the 2006 season.
- MICHAEL RUFF (1,366) needs 44 kickoff return yards to move into fifth-place in Big South history.
- RB LANCE BYRD (2,138) needs 77 rushing yards to move to 11th on the Big South's all-time rushing list.
Richmond Spiders (1-1) at VMI KEYDETS (1-1) • Foster Stadium • 1:30pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the 88th meeting between the schools. Richmond leads the series, 42-40-5.
- VMI's last win in the series was in 1996, a 20-7 victory in Lexington.
- QB ERIC KORDENBROCK is averaging 259.3 passing yards in his last three games.
- RB JABARI TURNER caught four passes for 89 yards and two touchdowns last week against Chowan.
- The Keydets are looking to win three consecutive home games for the first time since 2003.
Samford Bulldogs (2-0) at GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN' BULLDOGS (0-2) • Spangler Stadium • 3:00pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the eighth meeting between the schools. Samford leads the series, 5-2.
- Gardner-Webb last defeated the Bulldogs in 2000 (36-17) in what was GWU's inaugural season in FCS.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs are looking to avoid for their first 0-3 start since 1996.
- LB TANNER BURCH leads the Big South in tackles per game, averaging 12.5 after two weeks.
- RB KENNY LITTLE (1,477) needs 23 rushing yards to become the 24th Big South player with 1,500 in a career.
LIBERTY FLAMES (0-2) at #12/14 Montana Grizzlies • Washington-Grizzly Stadium • 3:30pm • Altitude, Flames Sports Network
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and LU's third-ever game against a current Big Sky member.
- The Flames are looking to avoid their first 0-3 start since 2003 (0-3).
- Liberty's last non-Conference road win against an FCS opponent was Sept. 19, 2009 at Lafayette (W, 19-13).
- WR PAT KELLY is five receptions away from becoming the 22nd Big South player with 100 in a career.
- RB ALDREAKIS ALLEN needs 18 rushing yards to move up two spots on the Big South's all-time rushing list.
#16/17 STONY BROOK SEAWOLVES (2-0) at Syracuse Orange (0-2) • Carrier Dome • 4:00pm • SNY, ESPN3
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and marks Stony Brook's fourth-ever game against an FBS foe.
- The Seawolves are looking to start 3-0 for the first time since 1994 when SBU started 4-0.
- Stony Brook leads all of FCS in tackles-for-loss (11.5), total offense (591.0) and scoring offense (49.0).
- RB MIGUEL MAYSONET needs 15 rushing yards to become the fourth player in Big South history with 3,000.
- QB KYLE ESSINGTON has thrown at least two TD passes in six consecutive games, tying the Big South record.
#20/25 Eastern Kentucky Colonels (1-1) at COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS (2-0) • Brooks Stadium • 6:00pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and the first of two consecutive first-time opponents for CCU.
- The Chanticleers are looking to start 3-0 for the first time in their 10-year history.
- Coastal Carolina is hosting a nationally-ranked non-Conference FCS opponent for the fourth time (2-1 record).
- WR MATT HAZEL has caught a touchdown pass in four consecutive games, dating back to last season.
- QB ARAMIS HILLARY has thrown for more than 200 yards in three-straight games (259.7 average).