Big South Conference football resumes this Saturday, Sept. 8 with all seven teams in action, including four games on the Big South Network presented by State Farm. In addition, Presbyterian's game at Georgia Tech will be carried on ESPN3. A printable version of this preview is available to the right and below.
In addition to the information below, listen to this week's BB&T Big South Football Round-Up, as we review and preview the gridiron goings-on around the Conference!
Jacksonville Dolphins (0-1) at CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (0-1) • CSU Stadium • 1:30pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the eighth meeting between the schools. Charleston Southern leads the series, 5-2.
- The Dolphins won last year's meeting, 37-30 in Jacksonville. CSU QB MALCOLM DIXON rushed for 163 yards.
- Charleston Southern's last win in the series came in 2005 (16-10), which was the last meeting prior to 2011.
- The Buccaneers are looking to avoid their second consecutive 0-2 start this weekend.
- Dixon has rushed for a touchdown and thrown a TD pass in the same game twice in his CSU career.
Chowan Hawks (1-0) at VMI KEYDETS (0-1) • Foster Stadium • 1:30pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the second meeting between the schools. The Keydets lead the series, 1-0.
- Saturday's contest will mark the first of six home games for the Keydets in 2012, their most since 2007.
- VMI has won seven of its last eight home openers.
- RB DAVID TURNER amassed 184 all-purpose yards in the season opener (101 rushing, 83 receiving).
- QB ERIC KORDENBROCK needs 260 passing yards for 3,000 in his career.
COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS (1-0) at Furman Paladins (0-1) • Paladin Stadium • 5:00pm
- This is the fourth meeting between the schools. Coastal Carolina leads the series, 2-1.
- Coastal won last year's meeting, 30-23, behind ARAMIS HILLARY's two rushing scores and 130 yards passing.
- The Chants are looking to start 2-0 for the second-straight year as well as win their fifth consecutive game.
- Coastal Carolina is 8-1 when Hillary throws a touchdown pass and rushes for a touchdown in the same game.
- The Chanticleers have won three road games against Southern Conference opponents in its history.
GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN' BULLDOGS (0-1) at Richmond Spiders (0-1) • Robins Stadium • 6:00pm
- This is the first meeting between the schools, and the first of three first time opponents for GWU this season.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs are looking to avoid their first 0-2 start to the season since 1998.
- Gardner-Webb's last non-Conference road victory was Sept. 11, 2010 at FBS member Akron.
- QB LUCAS BEATTY had career-highs of 19 pass completions and 223 passing yards in the season opener.
- DL PRESTON PEMASA (30.5) needs one tackle-for-loss to move into eighth in Big South history.
Pace Setters (0-1) at #17/17 STONY BROOK SEAWOLVES (1-0) • LaValle Stadium • 6:00pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the 13th meeting between the schools. Stony Brook leads the series, 10-2.
- The Seawolves are looking to start 2-0 for the first time since the 2007 campaign.
- Stony Brook has won seven consecutive home games and is averaging 42.4 points during that streak.
- RB MIGUEL MAYSONET needs 68 rushing yards to become the fourth Big South player with 3,000 in a career.
- QB KYLE ESSINGTON has a five-game streak with at least two touchdown passes.
#24 Norfolk State Spartans (1-0) at LIBERTY FLAMES (0-1) • Williams Stadium • 7:00pm • Flames Sports Network, Big South Network presented by State Farm, ESPN3
- This is the fifth meeting between the schools. Liberty leads the series, 3-1.
- Liberty is looking to win its 10th consecutive home opener on Saturday.
- The Flames are 3-4 in their last seven games against a nationally-ranked opponent.
- QB BRIAN HUDSON had career-highs of 20 pass completions and 263 passing yards in the season opener.
- Liberty has not started a season 0-2 since the 2003 squad opened the year 0-3.
PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE BLUE HOSE (1-0) at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (0-1) • Bobby Dodd Stadium • 7:00pm • ESPN3
- This is the fourth meeting between the schools. Georgia Tech leads the series, 3-0.
- The teams last met in 1937, and the Yellow Jackets have out-scored the Blue Hose 149-0 in the series.
- PC is playing its fourth FBS opponent under fourth-year head coach HAROLD NICHOLS.
- Presbyterian College last started 2-0 in 2005 when the Blue Hose opened the year 3-0.
- RB LANCE BYRD ranks 12th all-time in Big South history with 2,058 rushing yards.