Asheville, Longwood, Campbell, Coastal & Radford Win


UNC Asheville Downs VMI 4-2 in Women's Soccer Action
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - UNC Asheville got goals from four different players as the Bulldogs earned a hard-fought 4-2 Big South Conference victory over VMI in women's soccer action Thursday afternoon at Greenwood Field.

Asheville (3-8-0, 1-2-0 BSC) broke a 2-2 tie late in the match with two quick goals to earn its first conference win of the year. The Keydets (1-8-0, 0-3-0 BSC) got two goals from Courtney Mason in the match.

Mason had tied the match at 2-2 with a goal at 80:25 as she scored off a pass from Liz Affronti.

But the Bulldogs quickly rallied. Kennedy Garrett scored her first career goal 23 seconds after Mason's goal that gave Asheville the lead for good at 3-2. The freshman forward took a pass from Amanda Dailor and hit a shot from 20 yards out at 80:48. It was Dailor's second assist of the match.

Asheville sealed the win less than four minutes later when Melanie Cusi scored her first career goal off a feed from Kaitlyn Eckert to push the lead to 4-2.

The Bulldogs jumped in front in the first minute of the game. Amanda Knapp tallied her third goal off the season on a nice pass from Kelsey Palmer at 1:09.

But VMI tied the match in less than three minutes. Mason scored her first goal of the season by knocking in a loose ball in the box at 4:05 to knot the match at 1-1.

It stayed that way the rest of the half as each squad generated some good chances. Asheville took charge of the match in the final 10 minutes and fired the final five shots of the half to have a 9-3 advantage in shots.

The Bulldogs finally took the lead at 61:41 when Dailor sent a great pass into the goal area where freshman midfielder Shenny Lenhart scored her fourth goal of the season to give Asheville a 2-1 lead.

The home team had an 18-9 edge in shots and a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.

UNC Asheville hosts defending Big South Conference champion Radford at Greenwood Field Saturday at 2:30 p.m.  VMI heads to Presbyterian on Saturday for a 2 p.m. match.

Winthrop & High Point Battle to 3-3 Draw
ROCK HILL, SC - Winthrop women's soccer played to a 3-3 draw with High Point, Thursday evening in a back and forth affair at Eagle Field

The Lady Eagles are now 5-4-1 overall and 2-0-1 in Big South Conference action, while High Point's record is now 2-4-6 overall and 1-0-2 in Big South Conference play.

In an eventful first half, Winthrop found the back of the net twice in the first five minutes of play.  Krystyna Freda opened up the scoring for Winthrop in the 3rd minute beating a defender one-on-one at the top of the 18 yard-box before firing her shot to the left of the goalkeeper for her sixth goal of the season.  Just two and a half minutes later the Lady Eagles took a 2-0 lead on Allie VandeWater's first goal of the season.  Freda earned an assist playing her cross from the far side of the field into the oncoming VandeWater whose one touch shot beat flew past the goalkeeper into the near side netting.

The Panthers fought back with a pair of goals to draw even with Winthrop at halftime.  High Point's leading goal scorer Becca Hemby got on the end of a Taylor Parker corner kick heading her attempt past goalkeeper Amelia Henderson.  Just two minutes later Janay Whittaker tied the score at two when she received the ball in the box and shot high over Henderson.  Amy Burch and Becca Hemby earned assists on the play.  Burch served the initial ball in from a free kick and Hemby flicked the ball onto Whittaker.

Both teams went into the break with ten shots apiece.  Henderson recorded two saves for the Lady Eagles, while Ivy Cocklereece stopped three shots for the Panthers.

Winthrop once again took the lead in the 55th minute on Taylor Coleman's first career goal.  Coleman collected a rebound off of a Taylor Walton shot, shooting past Cocklereece giving the Lady Eagles a 3-2 lead.  Walton earned her third assist of the season on the play.

High Point tied the score once again in the 62nd minute on Becca Hemby's second goal of the game.  Brooke Lisson played a ball into the box which was flicked on by Whittacker.  Hemby got on to the end of the flick from Whittaker and shot on Henderson's goal.  Henderson was able to get a hand on the ball, but it was not enough as the ball rolled over the line to tie the score at 3-3.

Winthrop had a chance to win the game in regulation in the 77th minute when Freda's shot sailed inches high over the goal.  High Point out-shot the Lady Eagles 13-5 in the second half.  Henderson made six saves in the half, while Cocklereece made one save before being subbed out for Jesse May in the 61st minute.

Winthrop controlled the play in both overtime periods out-shooting High Point 9-2 in the two overtime sessions.  The Lady Eagles' best chance in overtime came in the 107th minute when Grace Radler's shot rattled the crossbar.  The Panthers finished the game with a 25-24 advantage in shots and a 12-8 advantage in shots on-goal.  Freda led all players with nine shots, Hemby led the way with six for High Point.  Henderson finished the game saving a career high nine shots in net for Winthrop.

The Lady Eagles return to action on Sunday when they travel to Buies Creek, NC for a 2 p.m. matchup with the Campbell Camels at Eakes Athletic Complex.

High Point returns to the pitch on Saturday, Sept. 29 in a home match vs. Gardner-Webb.  Kick-off is slated for 7:00pm.

Coastal Women Notch First Big South Win
CONWAY - This time it was the Coastal Carolina women's soccer team's turn to prevail in a one-goal game, as the Chanticleers got a first-half tally by junior forward Christina Stern to knock off Liberty 1-0 in Big South Conference play Thursday night at the CCU Soccer Field.

The Chants, who had dropped three consecutive one-goal contests, improved to 4-6-0 overall and 1-2-0 in the Big South. Liberty had its four-game win streak snapped and dropped to 8-4-0 overall and 2-1-0 in the conference.

In a game where scoring opportunities - and even shots - were tough to come by for both teams, the Chants made a chance in the 17th minute pay off. Senior forward Ashley Day took the ball down the right side toward the corner, fended off a defender and sent a perfect cross to the back post. Stern was there near the six-yard box and got a perfect deflection in the air with her foot into the near side for her first goal of the season. The assist was Day's second of the year.

While Coastal wasn't able to build on the lead, the one-goal advantage was never much in jeopardy the rest of the way, thanks to superb team defensive play that held Liberty to two shots for the game and none on goal. It was the fewest shots CCU has allowed this season and the second time it has held an opponent without an attempt on net.

While the Chants recorded just seven shots in the game, they controlled much of the play in the midfield with aggressive pressure and when the Flames did appear to have an opening, they was quickly closed it. One of those times came with just over 10 minutes left in the second half. With Liberty's Maddie Boone charging hard with the ball up the middle, senior defender Cami Skladany rushed forward to block her path and knock the ball away.

With just over three minutes remaining, the Flames got a free kick from the left side and then a subsequent corner kick, but couldn't generate a chance on either one. The Chants got possession and maintained it until the final whistle to secure the team's fourth shutout of the year.

Sophomore Kacey Kelley had five of the shots for the Chants, putting three on goal, including a header early in the first half. Coastal drew seven corner kicks to just two for Liberty.

The Chants are back at home on Saturday, Sept. 29 for a 1 p.m. game against Longwood. The Coastal men follow with a matchup against Presbyterian College at 3:30 p.m.

Meanwhile, Liberty will travel to Charleston Southern on Saturday, Sept. 29 for a 4:00pm match.

Campbell Defeats Gardner-Webb, 3-1
Boiling Springs, N.C. - The Runnin' Bulldogs were unable to dig their way out of a 2-0 halftime deficit, falling to Big South heavyweight Campbell 3-1 in women's soccer action Thursday night at Greene-Harbison Stadium.

The Campbell win marked Head coach Todd Clark's 150th career win, and his 45th with the Fighting Camels.
With the loss, Gardner-Webb finishes its three game conference home stand at 1-2 to open Big South play this season.

GWU (2-8, 1-2) was unable to secure its second consecutive win due to a solid defensive effort by the Campbell backline. The Runnin' Bulldogs did score for the third consecutive match, marking the first time that head coach Kevin Mounce's team has achieved that feat.
The opening of the match saw both sides feel each other out, as neither side found much open space in the early going. A pressuring Campbell defense made it difficult for the Gardner-Webb forwards early.
Campbell (7-2-1, 2-1) changed the pace with a promising run in the 4th minute of play off a run from the Fighting Camels' leading scorer Ashley Clark. Clark pushed past the GWU backline and was followed by two well spaced teammates. Clark played the ball to the right side, but the ensuing shot attempt was blocked by sophomore keeper Amy Schmitt (Waxhaw, N.C.) and cleared by a hustling Runnin' Bulldog defense.
A nice hustle play from a sprinting Shelby Hooe (Mechanicsville, Va.) resulted in a Gardner-Webb corner kick, but the ensuing attempt by Brooke Kelly (Lawrenceville, Ga.) flew over the box unthreateningly.
Campbell would go on to earn possession from there, as Clark got another strong run towards the goal and fired a shot right at Schmitt, and the sophomore recorded the save to keep the match scoreless.
The Runnin' Bulldog defense endured the early possession discrepancy to keep an aggressive Campbell offense off the board early in the first half.
A Campbell foul in the 15th minute led to a Gardner-Webb free kick 30 yards out, but Kelly's attempt went wide of the goal and trickled out of play.
Gardner-Webb was able to settle, not allowing threatening offensive possessions for the Fighting Camels to come to fruition. A stifling Campbell defense did limit the GWU offensive attack in the opening period, as the Fighting Camels outshot the Runnin' Bulldogs 11-1 in the first half.
Campbell's fifth shot attempt of the half put the Runnin' Bulldogs in a 1-0 hole when Clark broke through in the 23rd minute for her ninth goal of the season.
The lead nearly grew to two goals for the visitors in the 28th minute, as Clark found the ball in the box once again, turned, and fired a shot on frame. Schmitt reached full extension to punch the ball over the top of the goal and end the threatening CU run.
A nice hustle play from sophomore defender Addison Abee (Charlotte, N.C.) stopped another Clark run, limiting the Fighting Camels to a corner kick attempt. Schmitt punched the ball away, giving Campbell their third of five total corner kicks in the opening period. That attempt was cleared away successfully by the Runnin' Bulldogs to keep the score at 1-0 in favor of the Fighting Camels.
A great defensive play from freshman defender Whitley Bowman (Damascus, Md.) stopped a threatening run from Campbell's Kaleigh Rowlands, executing a well-timed slide tackle to end a two v. one opportunity for the visitors.
The Runnin' Bulldogs surrendered the second goal of the match to Campbell in the 44th minute, as Ashley Hartert entered the game and scored in the same minute to put GWU down 2-0 entering the break.
A speedy Campbell backline kept the Runnin' Bulldogs off balance, holding GWU to only one shot attempt, a Tara Woelfel (Thurmont, Md.) bid that went wide in the 45th minute, for the first period. Campbell's defense caused eight offsides calls for GWU in the first half.
Forward Arielle McCarthy Crum-Ewing (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) and the Runnin' Bulldog offense came out of the break hustling, putting pressure on the Fighting Camels backline for virtually the first time in the contest.
Gardner-Webb got right back in the match in the 53rd minute after a foul was called on the Campbell defense after a penetrating run from freshman Ashley Carmean (Ashburn, Va.) resulted in a foul inside the box. Carmean buried the ensuing penalty kick inside the left post for her first goal of the season to cut the CU lead to 2-1.
The 54th minute saw GWU's momentum come to a screeching halt when Melissa Messier gave Campbell a goal to put the visitors up 3-1.
An aggressive Campbell offense continued to pressure the GWU backline despite the two goal advantage, keeping possession away from the Gardner-Webb offense.
A recently substituted Nichole Poppe (Youngsville, N.C.) gave the Runnin' Bulldogs a nice look in the 72nd minute, wrestling the ball away in a crowd to earn possession and placing a cross in front of the Campbell goal, but it was grabbed by Campbell's Alexis Connors to preserve a 3-1 lead.
Gardner-Webb earned its third corner kick of the match in the 78th minute, as Kelly put the attempt into the box. Sophomore midfielder Megan Curan (Mooresville, N.C.) rose up to get a head on the ball, but her shot attempt went just above the crossbar.
Gardner-Webb nearly moved to within a goal of tying the Fighting Camels after the CU keeper bobbled the ball off a cross, but the ball bounced off a GWU player and out of play. The Fighting Camel defense took it from there, keeping the Runnin' Bulldogs from threatening to get a goal back in the waning minutes to provide the final margin.
Schmitt (2-8) took the loss for GWU, collecting five saves over the match. Torrero (7-2-1) got the win for Campbell in 45:00 minutes of action without recording a save.
Offensively, Gardner-Webb was paced by Carmean, who netted the first goal of her collegiate career with her penalty kick in the 53rd minute.
The Runnin' Bulldogs begin a three game road trip this Saturday at High Point. GWU's match vs. the Panthers is scheduled for a 7:00 p.m. start time.

Campbell returns home for its next match as it hosts Winthrop on Sept. 30 at 2:00pm.

Highlanders Extend Unbeaten Streak to Six with 2-0 Win at Presbyterian
CLINTON, S.C. - Behind a goal in each half, Radford women's soccer shut out Presbyterian 2-0 on the road in Big South action from Edens Field on Thursday evening. The victory and fifth clean sheet of the season extends the Highlanders' (6-2-1, 2-0-1 Big South) unbeaten streak to six matches.

Che Brown (Manassas Park, Va./Manassas Park) charted four saves for her second straight shutout and fourth of the year. The junior keeper is now just one shy of second on the career charts after her 18th clean sheet.

Sophomore Kara Nay (Montclair, Va./Forest Park) and senior Megan Rhodes (Blacksburg, Va./Blacksburg) each found paydirt for the third time this season. Rhodes has done it over the last four contests.
Nay netted the first goal of the match, striking from 35 yards out in the 18th minute, a lead the Highlanders would not relinquish.

Radford, which outshot PC (0-10, 0-3) in the first half, 9-4, had a golden opportunity to take a 2-0 lead, but freshman Kim Harkins' (Virginia Beach, Va./Cox) chance from just outside the six in the 24th minute was cleared off the line by a Blue Hose defender's head.

Rhodes doubled the lead and gave Radford some breathing room in the 70th minute when she blasted the ball high into the back of the net from just outside the box.
The Highlanders, paced by Rhodes' match-best four attempts, outshot the Blue Hose, 14-9 and held a slight, 6-5 advantage in corner kicks.
Radford heads over to UNC Asheville on Saturday for a 2:00 p.m. contest with the Bulldogs.

Presbyterian College will stay at home for its next contest as it hosts VMI on Sept. 29 at 2:00pm.

Longwood Wins Big South Road Opener at Charleston Southern, 2-0
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Longwood University won its third consecutive Big South Conference women's soccer match Thursday afternoon, and first league game on the road, taking a 2-0 win at Charleston Southern University in Charleston, South Carolina.  Junior Kelsey Pardue|Henrico (Hermitage) scored the game-winning goal in the 18th minute for the Lancers (8-3, 3-0 Big South), assisted by sophomore Kelsey McDonald|Kennett Square, Pa. (Unionville), and freshman Haylea Witz|Chesapeake (Grassfield) added the second goal against the Buccaneers (3-6-1, 1-2 Big South), assisted by Pardue.  Senior keeper Kyra Byron|Richmond (Mills E. Godwin) posted the shutout. 
Longwood took control early at CSU when Pardue, this week's Big South Conference Attacking Player of the Week, scored her fifth goal of the season at 17:32 with a shot to the upper right corner while assisted by McDonald.  Pardue, who had three goals and two assists in two conference matches last week, contributed her fourth assist this fall when she played a long through ball into the box to Witz who finished successfully at 36:41.  It was the second goal this year for Witz, and also the second assist earlier for McDonald.  Byron took care of the rest for the Lancers, making three saves en route to her fourth shutout this season, and the 11th shutout of her career.
Longwood took a 20-10 advantage in shots, and it was 10-3 in attempts on goal, while a 5-1 margin on corner kicks.  Pardue had five shots, one on goal, and freshman Olivia Colella|Herndon (Chantilly) added three shots, two on goal, to lead Longwood.  As mentioned, Byron played the duration in front of the net with three saves and the shutout for the Lancers.
Gina Cox had three shots for CSU, while keeper Caitlin Cody played the duration for the Buccaneers with eight saves.
Longwood will play again on Saturday, September 29, remaining on the road at Big South member Coastal Carolina University in Conway, South Carolina at 1 p.m. 

Charleston Southern's next match is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 29 as it hosts Liberty for a 4:00pm match.