Asheville, Longwood & Campbell Win on Sunday


UNC Asheville Women's Soccer Downs Wofford, 4-0
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - UNC Asheville got goals from four different players and earned its first shutout of the season as the Bulldogs downed visiting Wofford 4-0 in collegiate women's soccer action at Greenwood Field Sunday afternoon.
The Bulldogs (2-5-0) were led by sophomore goalkeeper Heather Muller who stopped seven Terrier shots to earn the shutout. She also picked up her first career assist as she assisted on Asheville's second goal of the contest.

Leading scorer Kaitlyn Eckert had a goal early in the match to give the home team the lead for good. She also assisted on the Bulldogs final goal.

Eckert scored her fourth goal of the season in the third minute of the game. Ferriss Roberts sent a beautiful pass into the goal area, and Eckert was able to head the ball into the back of the net for a 1-0 Asheville lead.

The Bulldogs made it 2-0 thanks for a great pass from Muller. The sophomore goalkeeper sent a long pass down the field to Amanda Knapp. Knapp dribbled down the field. She then connected on a shot that hit the goalpost and then bounced into the goal for her second goal of the season at 26:24.
Asheville led 2-0 at halftime. Wofford held a slight edge in shots at 8-7. Muller made three saves in the opening half.
The Bulldogs made it 3-0 early in the second half. Freshman Kelsey Palmer sent a pass into the box that Paige Trent was able to get a head on it and tuck it into goal at 48:55.
Freshman Shenny Lenhart finished the scoring as she also scored on header. Eckert's corner kick was headed into the back of the net at 54:51 by Lenhart. It was the rookie midfielder's second goal of the season.

UNC Asheville plays its final non-conference game of the regular season on Friday when the Bulldogs host Appalachian State at Greenwood Field starting at 4 p.m.

Longwood Wins on the Road at UMBC, 1-0
FARMVILLE, Va. -- Longwood University took a 1-0 non-conference women's soccer victory on the road at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County of the America East Conference Sunday afternoon in Baltimore.  Junior Kelsey Pardue|Henrico (Hermitage) scored the game-winning goal in the 58th minute for the Lancers (4-2), assisted by sophomore Kelsey McDonald|Kennett Square, Pa. (Unionville), while senior keeper Kyra Byron|Richmond (Mills. E. Godwin) posted the shutout against the Retrievers (1-6-1).  Longwood will play again on Friday afternoon, September 14, hosting East Tennessee State University of the Atlantic Sun Conference at the Athletics Complex in Farmville beginning at 2 p.m.
Longwood and UMBC were scoreless through the opening 45 minutes before Pardue finished the pass from McDonald  to the right post at 57:27.  It was the first goal of the season by Pardue, and also the first assist of the fall by McDonald.  Byron took care of the rest with five of her six saves in the second half.
UMBC took a 9-7 advantage in shots, including 6-4 in attempts on goal, though Longwood had a 2-1 edge in corner kicks.  Senior captain Lindsey Ottavio|Fairfax (W.T. Woodson) had three shots for the Lancers to go along with the two shots taken by Pardue.  Byron played the duration in front of the net with six saves for her 10th career shutout.
Rachel McKee and Alexa Quaranta each had three shots to lead UMBC, while keeper Lauren Kadet played the duration for the Retrievers with three saves.
Longwood and UMBC were playing for the fourth time in the sport of women's soccer as the Lancers now lead the series at 2-1-1.

Fighting Camels Beat Elon, 1-0
Wilmington, N.C. - The Fighting Camels beat Elon 1-0 Sunday to move to 3-1-1 and take third in UNCW's Courtyard Mariott Wilmington Invitational. Junior Caitlin Schneider and sophomore Melissa Messier were named to the All-Tournament team.

In Sunday's game, Campbell scored in the fourth minute, and held off Elon for the remaining 86 minutes.

Messier, in her first start of 2012, netted her first goal of the season. Freshman Ashley Hartert, who was given her first start as a Fighting Camel, played a through ball to Messier in Elon's penalty box. Messier placed the ball in the lower left corner of the net, past Elon keeper Kate Murphy.

Campbell took two more shots in the first half, one being on-goal but saved by Murphy. The Seahawks took five shots in the opening period. Only one was on-goal, and Campbell senior keeper Ryann Torrero was able to make the stop.

In the scoreless second half, the teams only had one shot on-goal each. Torrero nabbed her second save of the day and Shannon Cosgrove, in for the Seahawks, recorded her only save of the match. UNCW had five total shots in the half, while Campbell tallied two.

Schneider and Messier were named to the All-Tournament team after all teams finished competing. Messier took two shots over the weekend, with one being the game-winner against Elon. Schneider tallied two shots with one on-goal to help lead the offense to a record of 1-1-0 in the tournament.

The Fighting Camels are back in action Sept. 14-16 at the Catamount Classic, hosted by Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C.

Winthrop Women's Soccer Drops 4-2 Decision At East Tennessee State
JOHNSON CITY, TN - Krystyna Freda scored two goals for Winthrop, but it was not enough as the Lady Eagles fell 4-2 to the East Tennessee State Buccaneers Sunday afternoon at Summers-Taylor Stadium.

Winthrop's record falls to 1-4 on the season, while East Tennessee State improves its record 6-1 overall on the year.

In a high scoring first half Winthrop took a 2-0 lead in the 22nd minute of play as a result of Krystyna Freda's first two goals of the season. The Lady Eagles took an early lead when Freda scored her first goal of the season in the 11th minute. Allie VandeWater played a short through ball to Freda which she shot low and to the far post for the score. The assist from VandeWater was her second on the season. Freda scored her second goal of the half in the 22nd minute after receiving a pass at the top of the box and firing her shot past ETSU goalkeeper Kara Krajenta. Grace Radler picked up her second assist of the season on the play.

Trailing 2-0, the Buccaneers responded with three goals to take a 3-2 lead heading into halftime. The first goal came in the 25th minute when an ETSU corner kick fell to the feet of Ramey Kerns who put her shot past Ameila Henderson for her ninth goal of the season. East Tennessee State tied the game four minutes later on a long distance shot from Ellis Parsons. Parsons' shot came from the just outside the corner of the 18 yard-box and was looped over Henderson. Sarah Zadrasil earned her seventh assist of the season on the play. The Buccaneers third goal of the half came in the 41st minute when Zadrasil and Kerns combined for the goal. Kerns played a through ball into Zadrasil whose shot from a tough angle at the edge of the six-yard box found a way past Henderson to the far post.

Despite trailing at the half, the Lady Eagles had an advantage of 9-7 in shots. Freda led the way for Winthrop with six shots with and four shots on goal. Kerns led the Lady Bucs with four shots and two shots on goal. In the net, Henderson recorded one save, while Krajenta stopped four shots. ETSU had a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks.

After the high scoring first half, which saw five goals scored, there was only one second half goal. The goal came in the 84th minute from Sarah Zadrasil who scored her second goal on the game and third of the season. Zadrasil was assisted by Kerns which was her second assist of the game. After creating several chances in the first half, the best two chances for Winthrop came in the 54th minute when Megan David's header went just high over the empty Buccaneer net and in the 86th minute after Taylor Coleman beat her defender and got a shot off which was saved by Krajenta.

The Lady Eagles and Lady Bucs ended the game with 14 total shots each. ETSU finished the game with an 8-2 advantage in corner kicks. Freda lead all players with six shots, while Kerns led East Tennessee State with five shots.  Henderdson finished with one save for the game for Winthrop while Krajenta stopped seven shots.

Winthrop will return home to Eagle Field for its next match against The Citadel at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, September 12.

Lashley Finds Net in CSU loss to Francis Marion
FLORENCE, S.C. - Toni Lashley found the back of the net for the first time in the 2012 season, tying the Sunday afternoon match between Charleston Southern and Francis Marion, but a pair of second half goals by Sandy Odembo helped the host Patriots pull away from the Buccaneers late as CSU fell on the road, 3-1.

Lashley, who scored a team-high eight goals in the 2011 season, took the feed from Katelyn Faucette inside the box and fired a shot into the back of the net from 11 yards out for the game-tying goal as CSU (2-3) evened the match at the 63:36 mark. Lashley took a team-high four shots in the match with three on target as the Buccaneers fell for just the third time in the 2012 season.

Francis Marion (4-3) took control of the match early in the first half, firing four of the first five shots in the match before Elizabeth Asare found the back of the net from six yards out off the cross from Jordan Allen at the 22:56 mark.

Faucette had a pair of header attempts go wide and Hannah Thomas also saw a shot sail past the goal as the Buccaneers attempted to even the match in the first half. Gina Thomas provided CSU's best scoring opportunity in the first 45 minutes as the sophomore midfielder's shot from the top of the box was collected by FMU keeper Taylor O'Berry to keep the Buccaneers off the board in the first half.

Lashley came out firing in the second half for Charleston Southern, attempting the first shot of the half less than two minutes into the final period, and Allison Lewis also had a scoring opportunity before Lashley broke the seal on the net with her first score of the season, tying the game up at 1-apiece.

Odembo put the host Patriots ahead again less than two minutes later, scoring off a corner kick at the 65:18 mark to retake the one goal lead.

Lashley had two more shots on goal in the second half, firing a shot from the right wing at the 65:40 mark and another at the 74:08 mark, but O'Berry stopped both to keep the Buccaneers at bay.

Odembo closed out the scoring by connected on a goal on another corner kick at the 84:26 mark to double the Patriots lead as Francis Marion closed out the contest with the 3-1 victory.

Charleston Southern returns home to the CSU Soccer Field this week as they host Georgia Southern University on Friday, September 14th. Kickoff between the two teams is set for 4 p.m.

High Point Falls on the Road at UNC Greensboro, 1-0
The High Point University women's soccer team fell to UNC Greensboro by a score of 1-0 in a physical defensive battle on Sunday afternoon in Greensboro, N.C. Junior Becca Hemby led HPU with two shots in the game, putting both on frame.
The first half of the contest was a back-and-forth affair between the Panthers and Spartans. Both squads did well to earn possession of the ball in the midfield but neither was able to fully breakdown the opposing defense in the final third.
HPU had the best scoring chance of either team in the opening 45 minutes when both Hemby and junior Taylor Parker forced one-on-one saves by the UNC Greensboro keeper Jamie Simmons in the 29th minute. Hemby got behind the defense on a ball over the top and corralled it 10-yards from net. The midfielder turned to shoot but the attempt was knocked away by the onrushing Simmons. The rebound hit off towards the left post where Parker attempted to score but Simmons managed to just push the shot away.
The score remained locked at 0-0 until the 67th minute when the Spartans' Ashley Stokes scored the lone goal of the game. Stokes received a long ball from the right back and cut across a defender to the left before beating HPU keeper Jesse May with a shot back to the right post.
Hemby nearly tied the game in the 82nd minute when her header off a free kick forced a diving stop by Simmons. The Panthers earned a free kick about 40-yards away from goal on the right side and junior Brooke Lisson lofted a high ball into the box. Hemby redirected the ball to the far post but Simmons managed to get her fingertips on the shot to preserve the lead.
The loss drops HPU's record on the season to 1-3-3. The Panthers have become accustom to tight games as all but one of High Point's contest this season have been decided by one goal or finished tied. UNC Greensboro improves to 3-3-0 with the win.
After four-straight games away from Vert Stadium the Panthers will next return home to face inter-triad rival Elon on Friday, Sept. 14 at 7 p.m. High Point is 1-12-4 all-time against the Phoenix. Last season, HPU dropped a 2-0 decision on the road in Elon, N.C.

Keydets Fall to Old Dominion, 6-1
NORFOLK, Va. - The Old Dominion Lady Monarchs scored five times in the second half to break open a match that had been tied at halftime, and went on to defeat the VMI Keydets 6-1 in women's soccer action Sunday in Norfolk, Va.

After a Christelle Ndongo goal in the 36th minute had sent the game into halftime tied, ODU (2-4) came out of the intermission strongly. Amber Cook put the Monarchs in front for good just 87 seconds into the half, and would go on to add two goals in the 59th minute for a hat trick. Cook added an assist as well, while her teammates chipped in a pair of additional scores, coming in the 57th and 79th minutes, to account for the final margin.

The Lady Monarchs outshot VMI (1-3) 28-4 Sunday, but it was VMI who attempted the first shot, as Liz Affronti tested ODU keeper Brianna Alvarado in the 8th minute. Alvarado was up to the task, and ODU counterattacked by earning a 10th minute corner. Off that play, Devin Dougherty got free for a header, but a Keydet defender cut in behind keeper Mackenzie Harrmann and made a team save, keeping the match scoreless.

Harrmann would make her first save of the match in the 19th minute, but could not stop Dougherty's try at 23:16, a shot from the VMI goalkeeper's right that went over Harrmann's head and into the net, putting the home team up, 1-0.

The Lady Monarchs continued to test the VMI defense over the next several minutes, but the Keydets kept ODU from getting any shots on goal. VMI then countered in the 36th minute. Affronti found Ndongo with a long pass and the senior took advantage, beating Alvarado with a shot to the right side of the goal. It was Ndongo's first goal of the season, and knotted the matchup, 1-1. ODU had four shots in the remainder of the opening half, but Harrmann stopped both that were on net to send the contest to halftime tied.

The home team came out very well in the second half, and in fact, scored on the opening shot just 87 seconds in. Caroline Survill nailed a free kick into the box, which Cook settled and hammered past Harrmann to put ODU up, 2-1.

The Lady Monarchs would continue to fire shots at Harrmann, as they tried 18 total in the second half. The lead was pushed to 3-1 in the 57th minute, when Cook tallied an assist on Jessie Klamut's goal. Cook then increased the margin to three, 4-1, with her second goal, which came at 58:15 off an Ashlee Coutu feed. The day's top scorer then completed the hat trick 33 seconds later, finding the back of the net top shelf off a Taylor Mertz cross to make it ODU 5, VMI 1.

Harrmann attempted to turn the tide with a save in the 62nd minute, stopping Cook's effort for a fourth goal, but Coach Bryan Williams went to his bench some four minutes later, putting Kirsten Hancock in goal to finish the contest. The change marked Hancock's first appearance of the young season.

ODU also made a goalie change in the 66th minute, pulling Alvarado, and the pace of the game appeared to slow at that point. Neither team had another shot on goal until the 74th minute, when Hancock stopped Aubrie Ewell. It was the first career save against a Division I foe for the sophomore, as her only action as a true freshman came against Southern Virginia.

The home team capped the scoring in the 79th minute, as Taylor Smith scored off a cross to account for the final margin.

ODU held a 28-4 edge in shots on the day, as well as a 13-2 edge in tries on goal. Harrmann led all goalies with six saves, while Hancock and Alvarado were each credited with one stop apiece.

VMI women's soccer will return to action Friday, as the Keydets face Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg, Md. Game time is set for 7 p.m.