Asheville & High Point Score Season Opening Wins


Asheville Downs Brevard, 5-0
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Patrick Phillip scored his first two career goals to lead UNC Asheville to a 5-0 season-opening victory over Brevard College Saturday afternoon at Greenwood Field.

It was the most goals scored by a Bulldog team since a 5-0 victory over Wofford in the 2006 season.

Asheville also picked up goals from Sam Rossabi, Kenneth Lingerfelt and Hans Lohmeyer. Sophomore goalkeeper Dan Jackson made his collegiate debut a successful one by stopping three Brevard shots. He shared the shutout with Zak Davis who made one save.

The Bulldogs scored on their first shot of the season.  Andrew Sotak served a ball into the box and Rossabi headed it into the back of the net for a 1-0 Asheville lead at the 5:29 mark.

The Tornados controlled play for much of the next 20 minutes as they limited the home team's possession. Brevard fired three shots on goal during that stretch and had two corner kicks.

But the Bulldogs took control of the game with two quick goals from Phillip toward the end of the half. The sophomore forward didn't start the match and entered the game in the 30th minute. It didn't take long for him to make a difference.

He scored his first career goal when he took a shot in the box that was saved by Brevard goalkeeper Pauli Jussila. Phillip pounded on the rebound and tucked the ball into the back of the net at 25:45 for a 2-0 Asheville lead.

Phillip struck less than two minutes later when he took a pass from Quentin Reynolds and connected from six yards out for a 3-0 lead at 37:00.

Asheville led 3-0 at halftime and added two more goals in the second half.  Junior Kenneth Lingerfelt scored on a free kick from 20 yards out at 56:54.

The Bulldogs final goal came at 75:15 when Brevard was called for a foul in the box, and Asheville was rewarded with a free kick. Hans Lohmeyer tucked the ball into the right side for a 5-0 margin.

Asheville held a 19-8 advantage in shots. The Bulldogs held a 5-2 edge in corner kicks with all five coming in the second half.

Junior Montano fired four shots for Brevard. The Tornados played the night before at Big South foe Winthrop and lost 4-1.
UNC Asheville will be at home for its next four matches. The Bulldogs entertain USC Upstate at Greenwood Field Monday afternoon at 3 p.m. 

High Point Defeats Elon, 4-2
The High Point University men's soccer team opened the 2012 season with a 4-2 road win over Elon on Saturday night in Elon, N.C. Four different players scored for HPU in the two-goal win led by sophomore Leon Carby who had a goal and an assist.
Elon took the first lead of the game in the 18th minute with a header goal against the run of play by Chris Thomas. The Phoenix had been held primarily in their own half when they broke out on a counter. Charles Howard lofted a ball into the box from the left side where Thomas ran in headed it just inside the left post to make the score 1-0.
The Panthers answered back in the 25th minute when freshman Adam Storm scored his first collegiate goal off a pass from senior Shawn Sloan. Austin Yearwood drew a foul on the left flank about 20-yards from goal and Sloan hit the resulting free kick to the far post. Storm got his foot on the ball in the middle of a scrum of players and hit it into the back of the net to tie the game.
Just 36 seconds later the Panthers struck again as junior Adam Sewell connected on a header to put HPU up 2-1. A yellow card by Howard gave High Point a free kick on the right side of the field just outside the penalty area. Yearwood took the kick and hit a high ball to the center of the box where Sewell beat his defender and hit a thundering header past the keeper.
Freshman Ben Burdon added to the lead with High Point's third goal of the half in the 34th minute when he converted from 15-yards out for his first collegiate score. Carby set Burdon loose with a through ball out of the midfield and the freshman ran onto the pass and beat a defender before hitting his shot inside the right post.
Elon came out looking to control the game at the start of the second half and got a goal back in the 54th minute when HPU keeper Kody Palmer got caught off his line. The Phoenix earned a throw deep in HPU territory and Thomas flicked the ball on with his head to the left post where Elon's Daniel Lovitz made a late run and scored.
Following the Phoenix goal play continued to flow back and forth but until the 66th minute when the Panthers pushed their lead back to two on a line drive shot from Carby from 20-yards out. Redshirt-senior Ryan Bennett hit a square ball to Carby in the middle of the field and the sophomore took two touches before unleashing a low line drive. The shot took a deflection in the air which wrong-footed the keeper as the ball sailed inside the left post to make the score 4-2.
Elon continued to press looking to get back in the game but it was the Panthers that earned the better chances late on the way to sealing the season-opening win.
Freshman contributions played a big role in the game for High Point as Burdon and Storm both scored, Yearwood picked up an assist and Palmer made five saves on the way to his first collegiate win.
High Point took 10 shots in the game, putting seven on frame. Six different Panthers took a shot on the night led by Burdon who finished with three with two on target.
HPU next returns home as it prepares to host the Flash Gordon Invitational beginning on Friday, Aug. 31. The Panthers will welcome Adelphi, Northern Kentucky and Radford to Vert Stadium for the Tournament. High Point will face Adelphi on Aug. 31 and Northern Kentucky on Sept. 2.

Radford and UMBC Tie 0-0 in Season Opener
CATONSVILLE, Md. - Radford pressured UMBC with a 16-7 shot advantage, including seven tries on frame, but the sides played to a 0-0 tie in their men's soccer season opener on Saturday night.
Goalkeeper Ryan Taylor stopped three shots for the Highlanders in the tie.  Phil Saunders was forced to make seven stops for the Retrievers.
Luis Grande and Michael Hutcheon had four shots each for Radford - Hutcheon was playing in his first collegiate match.
The Highlanders attacked early in the match, outshooting the Retrievers 6-2 in the first half.   Hutcheon, Bernardo Ulmo and Jamie Summers all had chances on frame, but Saunders was equal to the task on all three attempts. 
Taylor was forced into action twice in the opening half and made saves on both UMBC shot attempts.
Like the first half, the Highlanders pressured UMBC out of the gate in the second, outshooting the Retrievers 6-1 in the opening 20 minutes of the period.   Radford's next threat came late in regulation time - Summers had a chance in the 83rd minute, when his shot from inside the penalty box was stopped by Saunders, leading to a follow-up opportunity by Hutcheon that went wide of the goal.
Radford had a pair of scoring opportunities in the extra sessions - in the first overtime, Ulmo's shot from the top of the box was stopped by Saunders to preserve the scoreless tie.  In the 109th minute, Grande had a chance tight to the goal from the right side, but his shot sailed over the crossbar.
The Highlanders return to action in the Flash Gordon Motors Invitational, hosted by High Point, Aug. 31-Sept. 2.

Runnin' Bulldogs Fall at No. 1 North Carolina, 4-0, in Season Opener
Chapel Hill, N.C. - The Gardner-Webb men's soccer team gave up an early goal in the first half and three goals in the second half to the No. 1 nationally ranked North Carolina Tar Heels to fall 4-0 on Saturday night in the two teams' 2012 season openers at Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill, N.C.

The Runnin' Bulldogs found themselves down behind early, as the Tar Heels made good on only their second shot attempt of the match, as junior forward Andy Craven got to a blocked shot by GWU's goalkeeper Scott Krotee and fired a shot of his own from 22 yards out that sailed over the hands of Krotee and into the back of the net in the third minute of the contest to put the home team up early at 1-0.

Over the next 20 minutes of play, the Tar Heels put pressure on the Gardner-Webb defense, recording two shots in the process.  However, the Runnin' Bulldog defense refused to break, as Krotee made a save on another Craven shot in the 20th minute to keep the score at 1-0.

Gardner-Webb was around the UNC goal for most of the end of the half, yet failed to find any room to maneuver and put a shot on frame, as the Tar Heels took a 1-0 lead into the halftime intermission.

UNC outshot the Runnin' Bulldogs 6-0 over the first 45 minutes of play, which was a physical half that saw a total of 14 fouls and two yellow cards overall.

In the second half of play the Tar Heels controlled the pace for most of the 45 minutes of play, continuing to put pressure on the Gardner-Webb defense.

The Tar Heels' Jordan Gafa put North Carolina on top 2-0 in the 67th minute, as he received a pass from Danny Garcia and put a shot from 10 yards out, past Krotee and just inside the left corner of the goal.

UNC added two more goals over the final 23 minutes of play, a seven-yard breakaway shot by Chipper Root in the 72nd minute and a penalty kick by David Walden in the 89th minute, en route to the 4-0 non-conference win.

Krotee, who will get saddled with the loss, posted three saves on 17 North Carolina shot attempts, while North Carolina goalkeeper Scott Goodwin earned the shutout win.

North Carolina outshot Gardner-Webb 17-1 for the match, including posting 11 shots in the second half of play.

The loss drops Gardner-Webb to 1-12-1 all-time versus nationally ranked opponents and 1-18-0 all-time versus opponents out of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).

Gardner-Webb (0-1) will return to the pitch this Monday night, August 27th, as the Runnin' Bulldogs will host the No. 24 nationally ranked Furman Paladins in GWU's home opener at 7 p.m. at Greene-Harbison Field.  The match is slated to be streamed live over the Big South Network, presented by State Farm, while live stats will be available at