#16 Coastal, Winthrop, Longwood, Campbell and Radford Win


Winthrop Wins 3-1 At Asheville, Posipanko Gets 350th Victory
ASHEVILLE, NC- Junior Achille Obougou scored two goals to lead a shorthanded Winthrop team to a 3-1 road victory over UNC Asheville in the team's Big South Conference opener, Saturday afternoon.

The Eagles (5-4, 1-0 Big South) scored two first half goals as Obougou's goal in the 25th minute proved to be the game-winner as he also added an insurance goal in the 70th minute. With the loss, Asheville falls to 1-9 overall and 0-3 in the league.

Winthrop had lost the last two meetings against Asheville and had failed to score but came out and put an end to that scoreless streak in the ninth minute as senior Alex Isern, who picked up a point for the fourth straight game and scored a goal for the second straight game. Isern followed a shot off the foot of Obougou as the keeper's save gave up a rebound in front and Isern came in to put the ball in the net for his third goal of the season.

In addition to starter Adam Brundle, who was sitting due to card accumulation, the Eagles were without starters Daniel DiBiagio and Patrick Barnes. Then the Eagles had to bring off two starters in the back between 20-25 minutes into the match as Kyle Kennedy came off and minutes later Nick Kowalksi had to leave the game. That made the Eagles even more shorthanded in the back as junior defender Josh Choice was injured during warm-ups.

In the 25th minute, Mason Lavallet continued to create scoring chances as his pinpoint service found Obougou about eight yards out and he hammered it home for the 2-0 lead. That's where the first 45 minutes finish as the Eagles led at the half for just the second time all season.

Leading 2-1 in the second, UNC Asheville's Stabler Cochrane made it a one goal game when his long range shot slipped by Tom Banfield in the 60th minute. The Eagles withstood the pressure as Asheville came right back at them, but Obougou headed home a cross from Isern to give Winthrop a little cushion.

Banfield finished with five saves to earn the victory in net for the Eagles. Asheville's Dan Jackson made six saves as Winthrop finished with a 16-14 edge in shots with Asheville holding a 12-5 advantage in corner kicks.

Winthrop now has 20 goals on the season, which surpasses the season total from the 2011 squad. It's the first time since Oct. 12, 2010 against VMI at home that Winthrop has scored three goals in a league contest.

The Eagles, who have now won three straight, are now 19-8-1 all-time in league openers.

Winthrop will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 6 as it will not have a match during the week. The Eagles will host Big South Conference foe High Point at 7 p.m.

Asheville will return to the pitch on Wednesday, Oct. 3 as it travels to Presbyterian College.  Match time is scheduled for 7:00pm.

No. 16 Chanticleers Defeat Presbyterian College
CONWAY - For the third time this season the Coastal Carolina men's soccer team took on a Big South Conference member and for the third time the Chanticleers produced a result and a shutout as No. 16 Coastal Carolina downed Presbyterian College, 3-0, on Saturday at the CCU Soccer Field.

Ashton Bennett, Robby Joe Daniels and Jakub Stourac each found the goal in the game as Coastal, who moved its unbeaten streak to nine game, improved to 3-0-0 in league play and 8-1-2 overall. The loss pushes the Blue Hose to 1-1-0 in the Big South and 2-8-0 on the season. In addition, Coastal improved its regular season conference unbeaten streak to 12 games, dating back to the start of the 2011 season.

The shutout, which was credited to both Federico Bertele and Mark Petrus, was Coastal's fifth of the season while the multi-goal win was also the team's fifth on the campaign.

Coastal controlled possession throughout the opening stanza, generating multiple shots and scoring opportunities. However, several unlucky bounces kept Coastal off the board until the 35th minute when Bennett, the Big South Preseason Player of the Year, broke the scoreless tie with his fifth score of the season. Bennett received a through ball in the box from Pedro Ribeiro, quickly turned and beat the keeper to the far post for the 28th goal of his Chanticleer career. Ribeiro, who had dribbled through the heart of the Blue Hose defense, was credited with his fourth assist of the season.

After the break, Presbyterian tightened its defensive effort and kept the Chants from increasing their lead for the first 26 minutes of the second half. But the tide of the close game quickly changed in the 71st minute as Daniels scored his second goal of the season to push Coastal out to a 2-0 lead. Following a pass by Mikey Lightbourne, Stourac sent a low-lying cross in front of the left side to Daniels. Without hesitation Daniels blasted his shot into the back of the net past the out-of-position Blue Hose keeper.

Stourac got into the scoring action 10 minutes later and distinguish any Presbyterian thought of a late-game comeback. With a defender draped on his back inside the 18-yard box Stourac received a pass from Henrik Robstad, turned left and fired a bullet inside the far post. The score was the first of the freshman's career.

Coastal again outshot its opponent, finishing with a 24-5 advantage, including 15-2 in the first half. The Chants had 13 targets on goal and tallied eight corner attempts.

Coastal wraps up its current four game homestand as hosts to UNC Asheville on Saturday, Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. The Chants are 27-4-1 all-time against the Bulldogs and have won each of the sides' last nine meetings.

Longwood Defeats George Washington, 3-1
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Longwood University men's soccer team earned its first non-conference win the season on Saturday afternoon, defeating host George Washington (3-6-0), 3-1, in Washington, D.C. The Lancers (3-7-1) were led by sophomore Jonathan Kukapa|Leesburg (Clarksburg Md.), who played a role in all three of the team's goals to tally a career-high four points in the match. In the squad's next outing, Longwood will return home to host Big South Conference opponent Radford on October 3 at 7 p.m.

Kukapa notched his second career goal, in addition to a personal-best two assists en route to a career-high four points in the outing. Sophomore Anthony Ugorji|Washington, D.C. also scored the second goal of his career in the victory, while freshman Zach Corcoran|Martinsville (Martinsville) notched the first points of his collegiate career with a goal to add to the Lancers' offensive effort. Senior Devin Pierce|Virginia Beach (Ocean Lakes) and freshman Sam Yardley|Fairfax Station (Robinson) tallied one assist apiece on the day. Sophomore goalkeeper Paul Hegedus|Ashburn (Broad Run) recorded the first win of his career in net for Longwood, making three saves in the complete-game performance.

The squads were evenly matched in the first half, as both sides notched six shots and two corner kicks in the first 45 minutes. George Washington broke the game open in the 29th minute on a successful penalty kick by Seth Rudolph, giving the Colonials a 1-0 advantage.

Just over seven minutes later, the Lancers retaliated when Kukapa dished a pass towards the left side of the box for Ugorji, whose one-touch shot found the lower right corner of the net to knot the game at 1-1. The squads traded possessions in the remaining minutes of the half to head into the break still tied at one apiece.

Coming out of halftime, Kukapa scored the go-ahead goal and the eventual game-winner with assists from Pierce and Yardley in the 56th minute. After the initial shot on goal from Pierce, Kukapa picked up the rebound on the left side of the net and sent a shot skidding past the GW keeper. The Lancers added an insurance goal in the 83rd minute, as Kukapa dribbled down the left side of the field and found Corcoran open near the right post for the shot and goal to seal the 3-1 victory against the Colonials.

Longwood and George Washington each registered 12 shots in the match, while George Washington took a slight, 5-3 advantage in corner kick opportunities. Saturday's contest marked the seventh meeting ever between the Lancers and the Colonials in the sport of men's soccer. After Longwood's victory, GW now holds just a slim, 4-3 edge in the all-time series. 

Campbell rallies for 3-2 men's soccer win at VMI
LEXINGTON, VA. - Campbell rallied from a two-goal deficit to earn a 3-2 victory over VMI Saturday in Big South Conference men's soccer action at Patchin Field.

Keegan Terry, Aleksi Tossavainen and Jhuvon Francis scored for the Camels (6-2-1, 2-1-0), who won their second-straight game and fourth in the last five outings.

Blake McCauley and Matt Seinfeld scored to give VMI (1-7, 0-2) a 2-0 lead after 34 minutes.  However, Terry's 36th minute header off Ricki Gaez' service cut the margin in half.

McCauley put VMI in front in the 27th minute on a header off Hunter Morgan's corner kick.  Only 6:34 elapsed before VMI doubled the edge on Seinfeld's penalty kick.

Terry came on as a substitute in the 34th minute and just 1:47 later the senior from Carrollton, Texas produced his first goal of the season.

Campbell drew level in the 57th minute when Tossavainen scored his second goal of the year.  The junior from Finland pounced on a failed clearance of Mitchell Cardenas' corner kick and deposited the ball in the right side of the net.

The eventual winner came in the 67th minute when Justin Franz played a through ball down the right side to Francis, who netted his first strike of the year.

Campbell, which defeated VMI by the same score last year in Buies Creek, finished with a 15-12 edge in shots, 9-8 in attempts on goal.  Both Campbell's Ethan Hall and Daniel Kitchen of VMI had six saves in the nets.

After finishing its 4-match road stretch 3-1, Campbell returns home Tuesday for a 7:00 p.m. kick-off against Virginia Tech.

VMI's next match is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 3 as it travels to High Point for a 7:00pm match.

Liberty Falls to Wofford
LYNCHBURG, VA. - The visiting Wofford Terriers scored two early goals, en route to a 3-0 victory over the Liberty Flames, Saturday afternoon at the Campus East Fields.

Liberty outshot Wofford, 16-9, in the contest, but the Terriers defense was able to hold the Flames at bay throughout the match.

Liberty drops to 2-6 on the year.  Wofford moves to 6-4.

The Terriers took an early advantage, scoring with only 4:20 gone in the opening half.  Connor Davis scored his first goal of the season by heading in a long throw into the 18-yard box by Billy Padula for a 1-0 lead.

A 1:54 later, Padula and Davis combined again.  Davis found the left corner of the Liberty goal with a header off a long thrown in by Padula for a quick, 2-0 advantage.

In the seventh minute, a shot by Flames midfielder Johnny Torres from the top left corner of the box forced a save by Terrier goalkeeper Andrew Drennan.

Liberty midfielder Rafael Amaya forced another save by Drennan during the 22nd minute. Moving into open space on the left side of the field, the senior ripped an attempt towards the net, compelling Drennan to make another stop.

The Flames continued pressure the Wofford defense. In the 36th minute, defender Sam Duininck came free at the top right corner of the penalty area for a shot, which Drennan corralled. Later, a header off a crossing pass by Liberty's Clyde Glastetter was stopped by Drennan during the 42nd minute.

The half closed on a header wide of the goal by Wofford's Alex Hutchins.

In the half, Liberty held an 11-5 advantage in shots and a 4-0 edge in corner kicks.

The second half opened with Flames goalkeeper Scott Sutarik making back-to-back saves on shots by Wofford's Davis and midfielder Dennis Moore during the 56th minute.

Two minutes later in transition, Liberty forward Tyler Bullock pushed a shot wide past the far left post from 20 yards out.

After a foul by the Flames in the 18-yard box, the Terriers' Hutchins netted the ensuing penalty kick for a 3-0 lead at 62:20.

During the 73 minute, Liberty defender Greg White forced a diving stop by Drennan. White headed a free kick into the box towards the far left post, only to see the Terrier goalkeeper get his hands on it and make the save.

In the 85th minute, Flames forward Travis Joseph came close to getting Liberty on the scoreboard.  However, his shot attempt hit the crossbar and bounced out, as Wofford went on for the 3-0 win.

Besides holding the advantage in shots, the Flames also had a 5-2 edge in corner kicks in the contest.

Sutarik recorded four saves, playing the entire contest in net for Liberty.  Drennan made six stops for the Terriers.

Next Friday, Liberty returns to Big South Conference play by hosting the Campbell Camels at the Campus East Fields. The game will be part of Liberty University's Homecoming Weekend Festivities.  Match time is scheduled for 7 p.m.

GWU Men's Soccer Falls at Home to Radford on Saturday Night in Big South Play
Boiling Springs, N.C. - The Gardner-Webb men's soccer team struggled on both ends of the field on Saturday night, as the Runnin' Bulldogs gave up five second half goals in a 6-1 home loss to Radford in Big South play at Greene-Harbison Field in Boiling Springs, N.C.

The loss drops GWU to 0-8-1 overall and 0-1-1 in conference play, while Radford improved to 4-3-2 with the win and 2-0-0 in the Big South with the win.  The loss was also the first by Gardner-Webb to the Highlanders (4-1-1) since joining the Big South Conference back in 2008.

The Highlanders set the tone of the entire match in the first minutes of the contest, as Radford fired off four shots in the opening seven minutes of play, as one was blocked, one was saved by Gardner-Webb goalkeeper Scott Krotee and the other hit off the crossbar to keep the match scoreless early.

Krotee would be tested throughout the rest of the night, as Radford would register six more shots over the next 30 minutes of play, with the sixth shot finding the back of the net.  The Highlanders took a 1-0 lead as Chel Ho Park Kim took a rebounded ball off a Lucas Diniz shot that was stopped by Krotee and put his shot attempt past the diving keeper and into the back of the top right corner in the 37th minute of play.

That goal would prove to be the lone score of the opening half, as the Highlanders took a 1-0 lead into the halftime break.

The second half is when the wheels fell off for the Runnin' Bulldogs, as the Highlanders took a 2-0 lead on a goal by Bernardo Ulmo in the 50th minute, as he had a great two-man play with Park Kim at the top of the box.

The Highlanders added three more goals over the next 13 minutes to take a demanding lead at 5-0 with 28 minutes still to go in the match.

Gardner-Webb, who did not post a single shot in the first half, begin to pick up the offense urgency midway through the second half, as the home team recorded four shots midway through the second half.

After junior Chris Davis had a shot saved in the 73rd minute and freshman Lyssean Thomas saw his scoring chance blocked in the 74th minute by a Radford defender, Radford added another goal by Joe Mayer in the 79th minute to push its lead to 6-0.

GWU would score late on a goal from redshirt-senior Taylor Jordan in the 88th minute, however, it was too little too late for the Runnin' Bulldogs in the 6-1 defeat.

The Runnin' Bulldogs were outshot 21-6 for the match, as the Highlanders put 12 shots on frame compared to GWU's four.

GWU's Krotee had six saves on the night, as the Highlanders put pressure on the Runnin' Bulldog defense all night long.

The men's soccer team, who is 0-2 at home thus far this season, will remain at home to host the Appalachian State Mountaineers on Tuesday night, October 2nd, at 7 p.m. at Greene-Harbison Field.

Radford's next match is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 3 as it travels to Longwood for a 7:00pm match.