#15 Coastal, #23 High Point, Gardner-Webb & Radford Post Wins


Norwegian Connection Lifts GWU to 1-0 Win over VMI
Boiling Springs, N.C. - After a special pre-match presentation to recognize Gardner-Webb men's soccer head coach Tony Setzer for his 25 years of service to both the men's soccer program and Gardner-Webb University as a whole, the Norwegian connection of Marius Hammersmark and Jon Ole Reinhardsen scored the lone goal of the match in the 70th minute to lift the Runnin' Bulldogs over the VMI Keydets on Saturday afternoon in Boiling Springs, N.C.
The win is the Runnin' Bulldogs' second straight on the season and the third straight victory over the Keydets of VMI.  GWU moves to 2-8-1 overall and 1-1-1 in conference play with the victory, while VMI falls to 1-8-1 and 0-3-1 in the Big South with the loss.
Gardner-Webb controlled the ball and the pace of the match for most of the opening half, as the Runnin' Bulldogs put constant pressure on the VMI defensive backfield.
The Runnin' Bulldogs' first two shots would sail wide and offline in the early minutes of the contest, as the home team's first shot on frame would come off the foot of midfielder Riley Shelton in the 14th minute.
VMI goalkeeper Daniel Kitchen made a stop on the shot,however, he appeared to have injured his self on the play, as he would exit the game shortly after making another diving save on a John Sargent shot in the20th minute.
The Gardner-Webb offensive onslaught did not slow down, as over the next 12 minutes of play, the Runnin' Bulldogs fired off six more shots to the Keydets' zero.
GWU looked to get on the scoreboard first in the 31st minute, as Hammersmark had his 12-foot shot attempt blocked by new VMI goalkeeper Taylor Feuerstein.  The rebounded ball bounced back to GWU's Denzel Clarke who took a quick shot on what appeared to be an open net, only to have a VMI defender come flying into the frame and heading the ball out to keep the match score at 0-0.
After an injury timeout to a VMI player that lasted for close to 20 minutes in the 35th minute, the Keydets came out of the break with a new sense of urgency as Kyle Farmer placed a shot on frame in the 35th minute, making Gardner-Webb goalkeeper Scott Krotee make a diving save on the play.
Off the ensuing corner kick, VMI's David Rochow got his head on the ball and almost slipped it by the diving Krotee once more, yet it was knocked offline to keep the match scoreless with less than 10 minutes to play in the first half of play.
Sargent would have another shot blocked in the closingminutes of the opening half, as neither team would score to send the match into the halftime break at 0-0.
The second half would be much like the first, as the Runnin' Bulldogs continued to play on the VMI Keydets' side of the field for most of the 45 minutes.
After sophomore forward Denzel Clarke put a shot on target, which was saved by Feuerstein, in the 48th minute and a Hammersmark shot sailed wide left in the 51st minute, VMI registered its third shot of the game on a Farmer shot in the 64th minute.
The next Gardner-Webb shot would find the back of the net, as in the 70th minute, Hammersmark played a great cross to the top back corner of the goal box.  There, Reinhardsen out jumped a VMI defender and got his head on the ball and sent it just inside the back left post in between the goalkeeper and another Keydet player to put the home team in front 1-0.
The goal was Reinhardsen's first of the season, while fellow Norwegian Hammersmark recorded his second assist of the year on the play.
That would be all that the Runnin' Bulldogs would need on the day, as GWU continued to possess the ball and force the Keydets to playdefense over the next 10 minutes of play.
Junior forward Chris Davis looked to add an insurance goal in the 83rd minute, as his shot from eight-yards out hit the bottom of the cross bar and bounced out.  Freshman Craig Swaby then headed the bouncing ball, only to see it sail just over the cross bar and out of play.
VMI would not record a shot over the rest of the contest, as the Runnin' Bulldogs held on for the 1-0 Big South Conference win, its first of the season.
GWU outshot the Keydets 17-3 for the match and also held a 6-2 advantage in shots on goal and a 9-2 lead in corner kicks over the 90 minutes of play.
The win was Krotee's second on the season and his second shutout of the season.
Gardner-Webb will look to continue its winning streak next week, as the Runnin' Bulldogs will hit the road to take on the UNC Asheville Bulldogs on Wednesday, October 10th, at 4 p.m. in Asheville, N.C.

VMI will return to the pitch on Wednesday, Oct. 10  as it hosts Radford at 4:00pm.

#23 High Point Downs Winthrop
ROCK HILL, SC- Mamadee Nyepon's goal in the 55th proved to be the game-winner as the Winthrop men's soccer team fell 2-1 to 23rd-ranked High Point, Saturday evening in Big South Conference action.

Trailing in the second half, the Eagles (5-5, 1-1 Big South) looked as if they might have a good chance at tying the ball as a ball was served into Adam Brundle at the top of the 18-yard box. Brundle reached out his foot and brought the ball down with no defenders within 4-5 yards and a free look at goal, but as he approached he couldn't keep his feet.

High Point (10-0-1, 3-0-1) immediately countered and went up 2-0 on Nyepon's ninth goal of the season as Leon Carby dropped a pass back and Nyepon turned and curved a shot out of keeper Tom Banfield's reach and into the net.

Less than three minutes later, Winthrop got on the scoreboard when Alex Isern converted on a penalty kick in the 57th minute. The Eagles were awarded a penalty on a hand ball off a shot from Isern after High Point had cleared the ball.

Winthrop continued to apply pressure offensively and nearly tied the match in the 89th minute when Isern was set up with a one-on-one with Panthers' keeper Kody Palmer. Isern took a touch and slipped a shot by Palmer, but as the ball was approaching the goal line Austin Yearwood of High Point slid and cleared the ball off the line to preserve the win.

High Point led at the break 1-0 after a Shawn Sloan goal in the 20th minute. After the ball was cleared away by the Winthrop defense, Ryan Bennett collected the ball and was fouled about 22 yards out just off center of goal. Sloan ripped a bender that hit the outside Winthrop player in the wall and the ball deflected with pace to the far left corner as Banfield moved to his right in attempt to make the save. It was Sloan's fourth goal on the season.

Banfield finished the game with four saves. One of the biggest saves came in the 49th minute before High Point's second goal as Nyepon was set up at the six-yard box for a one touch shot that was touched wide point blank by Banfield.

Palmer finished the game with five saves and picks up his 10th win in goal. Shots favored High Point 18-15 and had an 8-4 advantage in corners.

Winthrop will be back in action Tuesday evening when it heads to Clinton, SC for a 7 p.m. match up with Presbyterian College. It will be the start of three straight road games for the Eagles.

High Point's next game is scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 9 as it travels to for Virginia for a 7:00pm match.

Radford Nets Three Straight in 3-1 Men's Soccer Win Over Presbyterian
RADFORD, Va. - Radford scored three unanswered goals, including a pair in the second half, and the Highlanders won their fourth straight Big South match with a 3-1 victory over Presbyterian College on Saturday night.
Bernardo Ulmo capped the scoring (57') with his ninth goal in as many games - he also assisted on Chel Ho Park Kim's game-tying goal in the first half (38').  Lucas Diniz had his second goal of the season, which was the go-ahead strike (53') for the Highlanders (6-2-3, 4-0 Big South).
Ignacio Monchetti had the goal for Presbyterian (3-9, 2-2) - his corner kick from the far side of the field in the 16th minute bent in towards the goal and cleared the players in front to give the Blue Hose a 1-0 lead.
Ulmo, Radford's leading scorer this season, set up the equalizer with time winding down in the first half.   His shot from the right side of the penalty area was initially stopped by Presbyterian goalkeeper Tyler Beadle, but Park Kim collected the rebound and finished for his third of the year.
Play was relatively even in the first half - Radford had a 10-6 shot advantage and the action was at both ends of the field.  But in the second half the Highlanders took control - outshooting the Blue Hose 13-4 en route to two more goals.
Joe Mayer's run to the penalty area in the 53rd minute resulted in a collision with a Presbyterian defender.  Players initially stopped as they thought a penalty would be assessed, but Diniz picked up the loose ball after Mayer had it taken away, stepped up and scored from just outside the goal box to give the Highlanders a 2-1 lead. 
Four minutes later, a play from Dario Redondo at the near sideline found Ulmo in the middle - Ulmo's first shot was knocked down by a Presbyterian defender, but he quickly collected and scored to make it a 3-1 lead for Radford.
The Highlanders finished the match with a 23-10 shot advantage. 
Beadle made nine saves for Presbyterian, including six in the second half.  Ryan Taylor needed to make just three first half saves for Radford.
The Highlanders play their next four matches on the road, beginning on Wednesday afternoon at VMI.   Presbyterian continues league action at home against Winthrop on Wednesday night.

Bennett Scores Twice as Chants Pick Up Win
CONWAY - Senior striker Ashton Bennett scored his sixth and seventh goals of the season as the No. 13 Coastal Carolina men's soccer team stream rolled the visiting UNC Asheville Bulldogs 3-0 on Saturday evening at the CCU Soccer Field.

Bennett's pair of goals were his 29th and 30th of his career in a Chanticleer uniform, moving him into a tie for ninth all-time in the CCU record book for career goals.  The Clarendon, Jamaica, native tied David Skulason (1985-89) and Mario Benjamin (1998-00) with 30 career counters despite having played in only 34 games over the past two seasons.

The win kept the Chants perfect in the Big South with a 4-0-0 record and improved them to 9-1-2 overall. The loss drops UNC Asheville to 1-11-0 (0-5-0, Big South). Moreover, the Chanticleers have yet to allow a conference opponent to find the back of the net, while scoring 13 goals of their own.

It took just 98 seconds for Coastal to take a 1-nil lead on the visiting Bulldogs. Justin Portillo sent a corner kick into the box where it was headed down by Uchenna Uzo to the foot of Kjartan Sigurdsson. Sigurdsson turned and fired the ball home for his first goal of the season.

Coastal controlled the possession throughout the remainder of the half, but were unable to find an additional goal before the break.  Despite the scoreboard only showing a 1-0 lead at the break, Coastal held a commanding 16-1 advantage in shots and a 3-0 lead in corner attempts.

The Chanticleers struggled to find open passing lanes early in the second half as UNC Asheville packed all 11 players in its defensive third.  Nevertheless Coastal continually worked toward the goal and in the 73rd minute that work paid off in the form of a Bennett header. Henrik Robstad sent a through ball into the box where it was flicked over the UNC Asheville keeper by Bennett.

In the 82nd minute of action, Bennett made his own way through the Bulldog defense to give Coastal a 3-0 lead. Portillo laid a touch pass to Bennett just outside the 18-yard box. The speedy forward proceeded to dribble through the box, defeating four Bulldog defenders along the way, before unleashing his scoring blast from near the touch line on the right side of the goal. The goal marked Bennett's second multi-goal game of the season and first since the team's season-opening win over Longwood.

The Coastal defense held their counterparts to only three shots with none on goal.  UNC Asheville only truly threatened once, but the Bulldogs were dispossessed before a shot could be attempted.

The Chants have posted back-to-back shutout wins and have outscored their opponents 27-8 on the season.

Coastal finished the match with a 28-3 shot advantage, including a 13-0 lead in shots on frame. Goalkeeper Federico Bertele was credited with the shutout and improved his season goals against average to an impressive 0.63.

Coastal plays five of its final seven regular season games away from Conway, starting on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at Campbell. The Chants downed Campbell 5-1 in last season's meeting to even the all-time series against the Fighting Camels at 10-10-1.

UNC Asheville's next match is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 10 as it hosts Gardner-Webb at 4:00pm.

Longwood Drops 1-0 Decision to George Mason
FAIRFAX, Va. - The Longwood University men's soccer team dropped a 1-0 decision to George Mason University of the Colonial Athletic Association on Saturday evening in Fairfax, Va. The Lancers return to action on Tuesday, October 9 at 7 p.m. when they host in-state opponent Virginia Tech of the Atlantic Coast Conference at the Athletics Complex in Farmville.

The teams opened the game with more than 20 minutes of scoreless action before George Mason was able to get on the board with what would be the eventual game-winner. In the 22nd minute, Zak Haapaoja broke free and dribbled down the field before dishing a cross to teammate Taylor Morgan, who chipped a shot towards the upper left corner of the net from a tight angle that slipped past the outstretched hands of sophomore keeper Paul Hegedus|Ashburn (Broad Run) to tally the lone goal of the game.

The Lancers had better possession in the second half with some promising build up, including a corner and several free kick opportunities, but could not convert. In the 75th minute, Longwood had a chance to tie the game when the team was awarded a corner kick, but when freshman Sam Yardley|Fairfax Station (Robinson) inserted the ball, his squad was not able to put a shot on goal.

Hegedus turned in a complete game performance in front of the net for the Lancers, turning away four shots in the outing to improve to 20 total saves on the season.

George Mason totaled 17 shots, while holding Longwood without any shots in the contest. The Patriots also took an 8-1 advantage in corner kick opportunities.

Saturday's match marked the fourth meeting between Longwood and George Mason in the sport of men's soccer and the first since 2009. The Patriots now hold a 4-0 advantage in the all-time series.