#12 Coastal Moves to NCAA Tournament Second Round


Chanticleers Advance to Second Round of NCAAs with 4-3 Win Over Elon - Box Score
CONWAY - Striker Ashton Bennett, the NCAA's leading goal scorer, scored his 22nd and most important goal to date as he netted Coastal Carolina's eventual game-winner in the 83rd minute to lift the Chanticleers over Elon, 4-3, in the first round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship at the CCU Soccer Field.

With the victory, No. 12 Coastal Carolina advances to the second round of the NCAA Tournament where the top-seeded North Carolina Tar Heels await.  The match will be played at North Carolina's Fetzer Field on Sunday, Nov. 20.  Kickoff is slated for 5 p.m.   Tickets cost $8 for adults and $5 for students and will be for sale on TarHeelBlue.com.

After Elon had knotted the game for the third time on a James Carroll goal in the 81st minute, Bennett found the back of the net for his ninth game-winner of the season with just under eight minutes to play.  Justin Portillo took a deep throw in on the left sideline where Pedro Ribeiro headed the ball down to Bennett who used his body to deflect the ball inside the near post.

Coastal came out firing in the first half as the team tallied 17 shots.  Elon, who won the Southern Conference tournament to punch their ticket into the NCAA Tournament, was whistled offside twice in the early going on would be goals. 

After 34 minutes of the sides exchanging possessions, the Chants broke through on the scoreboard as Ricky Garbanzo scored his sixth goal of the season off an assist by Shawn McLaws.  McLaws fired a deep shot from the right side of the field that was initially saved by the Elon keeper; however, the ball squirted free and Garbanzo launched an easy shot to give Coastal an early 1-nil lead. 

Elon found the tying goal in the early minutes of the second half.  The Phoenix's Daniel Lovitz sent a long cross in the box to Matt Wescoe who headed it left, where Chris Thomas tracked the ball down and slotted it into the back of the net to knot the score in the 48th minute.

Coastal regained the lead in the 55th minute as Pedro Ribeiro played a deep ball from the left side of the field across the box to a sprinting Garbanzo.  The freshman crossed the ball to the center of the net where a sliding TeeJay East scored his seventh goal of the year.

Elon broke through with its second game-tying goal as Thomas converted on a penalty kick in the 64th minute, knotting the game at two.
Coastal regained the lead in the 72nd minute.  Portillo lofted a free kick from near midfield that entered the box was headed away by the Phoenix defense.  However, Henrik Robstad headed the ball back into the box where Cyprian Hedrick found an open hole and scored his fifth goal of the year to give the Chants a 3-2 lead.
In the 81st minute, the Phoenix connected on their third equalizer of the game after Carroll slipped a shot into the far post to knot the score at 3-3.

The win was the first for the Chanticleers and the first for a Big South member institution in the NCAA Tournament since the 2003 team defeated North Carolina 3-0 before ultimately falling to Santa Clara 2-3 in the third round of the tournament.

Liberty Falls to Old Dominion on Penalty Kicks - Box Score
After playing to a scoreless draw, the Old Dominon Monarchs advanced to the second round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship over the Liberty Flames, 5-4, on penalty kicks.

Liberty, the 2011 Big South Champion, ends its season with an 11-6-3 mark. Old Dominion moves to 12-5-2. The Flames recorded their ninth shutout of the year during the 110 minutes of play, holding the No.2 scoring offense in the nation scoreless.

After Monarch forward Yannick Smith fired a shot wide during the contest's opening minute, play settled in the midfield between the 18-yard boxes until a corner kick by Old Dominion during the 10th minute. Off the kick, a shot by Smith from the middle of the box was blocked out of bounds by a Liberty defender. The Flames cleared the ensuing corner kick, preventing any further scoring opportunities.

Forward Darren Amoo attempted Liberty's first shot from 20 yards out with a defender on his hip. His liner during 16th minute was wide.

The Flames defense was able to weather three consecutive corner kicks without yielding the game's first goal in the 22nd minute. Of the two Monarch shots during the sequence, neither reached the goalkeeper after being deflected in front by defenders.

The host team had another scoring opportunity in the 31st minute. Midfielder Tim Hopkinson took a feed at the left post and lifted a shot, which was deflected away on an outstanding defensive play by Liberty defender Sam Duininck. The sophomore raced back and punched the ball out of the center of the box, while colliding with the goal's left post.

During the 33rd minute, Hopkinson came free from a shot on the left side of the field, leveling a shot from 20 yards out, which hit the far right post and bounded into the center of the 18-yard box. Hopkinson followed with another shot, pushing it wide of the right post and out of play.

In the 39th minute, Liberty was able to get midfielder Phillip Aseweh free for a shot from the right side of the penalty area. However, the midfielder popped his shot high over the goal.

The half closed with a flurry of four shots by Old Dominion during the 43rdh minute. The first two shots sent into the center of the 18-yard box were blocked by Flame defenders, while the final two shots of sequence were pulled wide.

Old Dominion outshot Liberty, 14-3, over the first 45 minutes. The Monarchs also held a 6-1 edge in corner kicks.

The Flames began the second half on the attack. In the 52nd minute, forward Timothy Bullock ripped a shot from the left corner of the box, forcing a save by Old Dominion goalkeeper Victor Francoz. A minute later off a corner kick, a Monarch defender knocked down a header by Amoo and cleared the zone.

Liberty goalkeeper Scott Sutarik made a diving save on a shot by Hopkinson in the 66th minute. The Monarch midfielder pushed a right-footed shot from point blank range at the net, only to see Sutarik reach out and bat down the attempt with his left hand to keep the match scoreless.

In transition, Bullock came free for a shot from the left side of the 18-yard box during the 84th minute. However, Francoz was able to smother the shot to prevent a score.

Old Dominion held a 17-7 edge in shots during regulation. The Monarchs has four shots on goal, while the Flames had two shots on goal. Old Dominion also held a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks.

The only attempt in the final minutes of regulation was a shot wide by Flames midfielder Alex Verville, sending the contest to overtime.

In first overtime period, Sutarik stopped a shot by Hopkinson from the center of the penalty in the 95th minute, while an attempt from 25 yards by Monarch midfielder Chris Harmon was wide a minute later.

After the first four penalty kicks, neither team had missed. However after a make by Smith on Old Dominion's fifth attempt, Francoz stopped an attempt by Bullock, allowing the Monarchs to advance.

Old Dominion outshot Liberty, 21-8, for the contest and also held an 8-3 edge in corner kicks.

Sutarik recorded five saves in the Flames' net, while Francoz made two saves for the Monarchs.