#11 Coastal Carolina, VMI and Campbell Score Men's Soccer Wins


VMI Downs UNC Asheville, 4-3
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - VMI had goals from four different players as the Keydets held off a frantic UNC Asheville comeback to down the Bulldogs 4-3 in Big South Conference men's soccer action Saturday afternoon at Greenwood Field.

VMI (2-11-1, 1-6-1 BSC) built a 4-1 lead late in the second half only to see Asheville (1-14-0, 0-8-0 BSC) score two goals in the final eight minutes to make the contest close. The Bulldogs lost despite out-shooting the Keydets 22-13 on the day.

The visitors got goals from Blake McCauley, Matt Seinfield, Aaron White and Kip Zechman.  White and Zechman had assists in the contests

The Bulldogs picked up goals from Rob May, Rayon Gibbs and Trey Hemphill. Senior David Parra, playing his final home game, had two assists in the match.

Leading 2-1 at halftime, VMI added to the lead 10 minutes into the second half. White unleashed a shot from 30 yards out that went into the upper left corner of the net for a 3-1 Keydet lead at 55:26.

The Bulldogs received a red-card one minute later when Kenneth Lingerfelt was ejected from the match as Asheville had to play the rest of the match with just 10 men.

The visitors added to the lead in the 70th minute with the eventual game-winning goal. White fed Zechman who scored on a blast from 20 yards out pad the lead to 4-1.

The Bulldogs would not give up. Asheville dominated the last 20 minutes and constantly threatened the VMI goal. Finally, Trey Hemphill got the ball into the box. He passed the ball to Rayon Gibbs who scored at 82:08 to narrow the lead to 4-2.

The home team scored again with 37 seconds left. Parra made a great run up the field and fed Hemphill who hit a shot that went through VMI goalkeeper Daniel Kitchen's legs to cut the margin to 4-3.

However, the Keydets were able to get a corner kick on the ensuing kick-off and ran out the clock as VMI earned its third straight win over the Bulldogs.

McCauley opened the scored in the match at 12:04 when he scored off a corner kick. Zechman was credited with an assist on the play for a 1-0 VMI lead.

Asheville knotted the match at 1-1 when Rob May finished off a cross from Parra at 20:22.

The tie didn't last long. Seinfield connected on an unassisted goal at 21:10 to put VMI in front for good at 2-1.

UNC Asheville plays next at Campbell next Saturday night at 7 p.m. VMI plays at Winthrop next Saturday at 3 p.m.

Winthrop, Liberty Battle To 1-1 Tie Saturday Afternoon
ROCK HILL, SC- Winthrop and Liberty each had late goals, but the two teams battled to a 1-1 draw Saturday afternoon at Eagle Field in Big South Conference men's soccer action.

After the two teams were scoreless for 86 minutes, Liberty (6-6-1, 4-1-1 BSC) broke through in which looked to stand as the late game-winning goal. The Flames' Uriah Bentick served a ball over the top of the Winthrop defense that was bouncing toward the top of the 18-yard box. Winthrop's keeper Enrique Miranda looked to be coming out to win the ball when Clyde Glastetter beat him the ball and chipped the ball over his head and into the net for the lead in the 87th minute. It was Glastetter's first collegiate goal.  

Winthrop (6-7-1, 2-3-1 BSC) didn't let down and pressed the final minutes in hopes to tie the match. Winthrop got the break it needed as freshman defender Jordi Lluch pushed forward and dribbled a Liberty defender in the box and was fouled, which drew a penalty shot with 28 seconds left in regulation. Alex Isern stepped up and drilled the shot into the net for his sixth goal of the season.

Both teams created good opportunities going forward in overtime, but couldn't quite complete the play and the game finished tied. It is the first tie of the season for both teams and the second straight overtime match for Liberty.

Winthrop's best opportunity in the first half came in the 22nd minute off a corner kick as Isern's service was redirected by Lluch at the near post, but Scott Sutarik's reacted quickly and was able to push the ball over the bar to keep the slate clean.

The most dangerous chance for the Flames in the first half came in the 30th minute when the ball was served across the mouth of the goal to the penalty spot as Juan Nino ran on to the ball unmarked, but his one-touch effort with his left foot missed low and wide.

Liberty finished with a 14-13 advantage in shots with a 2-1 advantage in overtime. Miranda finished with one save while Sutarik made four.

Winthrop is back in action on Wednesday, Oct. 24 when it hosts Gardner-Webb at 7 p.m. Liberty will return to Lynchburg, VA for its next two contests starting with High Point on Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 7 p.m.

Meanwhile, Liberty's next match is slated for Tuesday, Oct. 23 as it hosts High Point at 7:00pm.

Campbell Defeats Presbyterian 3-0 Saturday in Homecoming Men's Soccer Match
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Three different players scored and Campbell defeated Presbyterian 3-0 Saturday on Homecoming Day at the Eakes Athletic Complex. 

Ricki Gaez, Ben Iiames and Mitchell Cardenas found the net for Campbell (10-4-1, 5-3 Big South), which won its third-straight game.  Keegan Terry had two assists and keeper Ethan Hall celebrated his 21st birthday with his sixth shutout of the season.

Presbyterian (3-13, 2-5) dropped its fifth-straight decision and fell to 0-8 on the road this year.

Campbell finished with a 21-4 edge in shots, 10-1 in attempts on target.  Hall made one save in the Camel nets, while Tyler Beadle finished with 7 stops for PC.

Gaez scored his sixth goal of the year (second-straight game-winner) with just 1:25 remaining in the opening period.  The sophomore from Panama combined on a one-two with Terry and launched a left-footed shot from just inside the box past Beadle.

The Blue Hose managed just one shot in the first 77 minutes and trailed 3-0 before they attempted their first effort of the second half.

Iiames headed in a serve from Bryce Miller in the 61st minute for his second goal of the year.  Cardenas knocked in Terry's rebound with 20:35 to play for his sixth strike this season.

Cardenas, who has produced a goal or assist in 11 of Campbell's 15 matches this year, moved into a tie for 16th place on Campbell's career scoring charts.  The senior from Mexico City now has 70 points on 20 goals and 30 assists in 71 career outings, tied with Tai Adeleke (30G, 10A, 70 pts. from 1969-73).

In 13 losses this season, the Blue Hose have been outscored 33-3 and shutout 10 times.

Saturday's game capped a weekend in celebration of the University's 50th men's soccer varsity season.  Former players enjoyed an alumni game Saturday morning and were recognized during half-time activities of the afternoon match.

Campbell improved to 24-8-3 all-time and has out-scored its opponents 88-46 in games played on Homecoming.

CU owns a 44-20-2 (.682) record at the Eakes Athletic Complex -- including 4 wins over nationally-ranked teams at the site.  The Camels are 6-1 at home this year.

With a 2-1-1 record this year against nationally-ranked opponents, Campbell travels to No.-2 North Carolina Tuesday (7:00 p.m.).

Presbyterian College's next match is scheduled Saturday, Oct. 27 as it hosts High Point at 7:00pm.

GWU's Upset Bid of No. 11 Coastal Carolina Falls Short at Home on Saturday Night
Boiling Springs, N.C. - Coastal Carolina's Pedro Ribeiro's second half goal in the 83rd minute would prove to be the difference, as the No. 11 nationally ranked Chanticleers spoiled the Runnin' Bulldogs' upset bid with a 1-0 victory over Gardner-Webb in men's' soccer action on Saturday night in Boiling Springs, N.C.

The loss drops Gardner-Webb to 3-11-1 overall and 2-3-1 in the Big South, while Coastal Carolina pushes its winning streak to 10-straight matches and improves to 13-1-2 overall and 8-0-0 in conference play.

After missing Tuesday night's match at Clemson with an injury, Gardner-Webb redshirt goalkeeper Scott Krotee made six saves on thenight, yet needed seven, as Ribeiro put a rebounded ball off of a Krotee save into an open net in the 83rd minute for the lone goal of the game.

In what was a tightly called match from start to finish, as the two teams combined for 40 fouls on the night, Gardner-Webb defender Jon Ole Reinhardsen registered the first shot of the evening on a header in the 13th minute which sailed wide.

Three minutes later, Coastal Carolina's first shot attempt of the match came off the right foot of Ashton Bennett in the 16th minute, only to have it blocked out of play by a GWU defender.

Each team would then miss on a header off a corner kick over the next several minutes of play to keep the score tied up at 0-0 through 19 minutes of action.

Still looking to get on the scoreboard first, GWU's Taylor Jordan put a shot on frame in the 20th minute, only to see Coastal Carolina goalkeeper Federico Bertele make the stop on the play.

After each team had a shot blocked by the other team's defense, Gardner-Webb's best scoring chance in the first half came in the 31st minute when junior Marius Hammersmark got to a cross along the right side of the box and blasted a shot toward the goal.  While Bertele appeared to be out of position, as he came off his line to attempt to intercept the cross, a Coastal Carolina defender stepped in front of the Hammersmark shot to record the team save and keep the home team off thescoreboard.

Coastal looked to take the lead in the 31st minute, as Ricky Garbanzo lined up a free kick from just outside the top of the box. The shot bounded off the wall of GWU defenders and rolled to Mikey Lightbourne who immediately fired off his own shot to no avail, as the GWU wall blocked it once again.

Neither team would post another shot over the final 10 minutes of the first half, sending the match into the halftime break knotted up at 0-0.

The nationally ranked Chanticleers, who were outshot 6-5 in the first set by the Runnin' Bulldogs, picked up its offensive intensity in the second half, as Bennett recorded three shots in the first five minutes of the second half, all of which were stopped by Krotee in goal.

Coastal Carolina's Uchenna Uzo put a shot just high of the goal in the 50th minute, while Henrik Robstad had a shot blocked in the 54th minute and Ribeiro saw a bicycle kick shot attempt on the left side of the box sail high in the 55th minute, as the Chanticleers outshot Gardner-Webb 6-0 over the first 10 minutes of the second half.

GWU started to regain possession over the next several minutes, as senior midfielder John Sargent had a shot fly wide of the goal in the 65th minute and then put one on target in the 71st minute, which was hauled in by Bertele in front of the goal.

Minutes later, in the 75th minute, GWU's best scoring chance in the second half came by way of Denzel Clarke, as the sophomore ripped a shot with his left foot from approximately 22 yards out straight on toward the goal forcing Bertele to make a diving stop to keep the home team from taking itsfirst lead of the match.

Coastal Carolina appeared to have got on the scoreboard first in the 79th minute, as a Justin Portillo shot sneaked by a diving Krotee and hit off the front right post where Jacob Stourac headed the rebounded ball back into an empty net. However, Stourac was called for offsides' on the play, negating the goal and keeping the score tied at 0-0.

Stourac and the Chanticleers would score that go-ahead goal minutes later in the 83rd minute, as Stourac put a shot on frame forcing Krotee to make another diving save. This time, however, the blocked ball bounded back to Ribeiro who quickly put the ball into the empty net to put the Chanticleers up 1-0.

The goal was Ribeiro's first of the season, while Stourac was credited with the assist.

The Chanticleers went into stall mode over the final seven minutes of the contest, playing the ball to the corners of the field to keep it away from the Runnin' Bulldogs.

GWU would get one last shot off in the 89th minute, as Reinhardsen volleyed a loose ball toward the goal only to see it sail wide left, as the Chanticleers came away with the 1-0 road win.

Coastal Carolina held a 16-10 shots advantage and a slight 7-4 advantage in shots on goal over the Runnin' Bulldogs.

Gardner-Webb was called for 25 fouls compared to theChanticleers 15, while Coastal was flagged for seven offside calls to the Runnin' Bulldogs one.

Krotee falls to 3-10-1 on the year, despite recording six saves in the match, while Coastal Carolina's Bertele earned the win with four saves of his own to improve to 11-1-2 on the year.

Hammersmark, Sargent, Jordan and Clarke all put a shot on goal for GWU in the match.

The loss is the Runnin' Bulldogs fifth loss this season to a nationally ranked opponent.

Gardner-Webb will return to the pitch to take on Winthrop at 7 p.m. on October 24th in Rock Hill, S.C., while No. 11 Coastal Carolina will also return to the field to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks on Wednesday night.

High Point Men's Soccer Draws Radford, 0-0, on Senior Night
The High Point University men's soccer team wrapped up its 2012 home schedule with a 0-0 tie against Radford on Saturday night at Vert Stadium. Redshirt-freshman Kody Palmer made two saves on the night for his eighth shutout of the season.
The draw drops High Point to 11-2-2 overall and 4-1-2 in the Big South this season. The Panthers are the first team to take a point off Radford in conference play this season as the Highlanders drop to 8-2-4 overall and 6-0-1 in the Big South.
Neither team was able to build much offense as both squads put together an organized defensive effort. High Point finished the game with 10 shots, but managed to put just two on frame. The HPU defense matched Radford, allowing just three shots on goal over 110 minutes.
High Point's best scoring chance on the night came early in the second half when sophomore Taurean Greenidge found space along the right endline in the 54th minute. Greenidge dribbled up the endline and hit a cross to the near post. Junior Adam Sewell made a run across the face of the goalie and hit a backheel shot that ran just outside the post.
The shutout was High Point's eighth of the season. The Panthers are now one clean sheet shy of tying the HPU Div. I record for shutouts set in 2010.

However, by virtue of the tie, the Highlanders are off to their best start in Big South play in the program's history, remaining unbeaten over the first seven league games.
Ryan Taylor made two first half saves, earning his fifth shutout of the season for Radford.

High Point closes out the 2012 season with three-straight road games beginning on Tuesday, Oct. 23, when the team heads to Lynchburg, Va., to take on Liberty University at 7 p.m. The Flames are 6-6-1 overall and 4-1-1 in the Big South following a 1-1 draw with Winthrop on Saturday. HPU is 11-11-4 all-time against Liberty including a 2-1 home loss to the Flames last season.

Radford plays its final non-conference match on Tuesday night at Virginia Tech at 7 p.m.