#10 Coastal Scores League Win; Winthrop Downs Brevard


No.10 Chanticleers Down Longwood, 4-0, in Season Opener
CONWAY - Neither showers, sloppy field conditions nor Lancers could stop the No.10 Coastal Carolina men's soccer team on Friday night at the CCU Soccer Field as the Chanticleers opened the 2012 campaign with a 4-nil win over Big South newcomer Longwood.

Despite the intermittent rain showers that fell throughout the first half, leading to unsavory field conditions, the Chanticleers flexed their collective muscle and dominated the pace of play through the entire contest, netting a pair of goals in each half.

After maintaining the majority of possession through the first 20 minutes of play, the Chants finally found the back of the net off the foot of junior Justin Portillo.  Portillo, who was on the receiving end of a well-placed pass by Ashton Bennett, took two touches and uncorked a rocket past the diving Longwood keeper for Coastal's first marker of the season.

Nearly two minutes later the Chants benefited from a Longwood own goal.

The second stanza started much like the first with Coastal controlling the ball more times than not; however, the Longwood defense and goal keeper managed to keep the Chants off the board until 74th minute.  That's when Bennett took over and made his mark on the game. The consensus Preseason All-American counted Coastal's third goal of the contest with a blast to the right side of the net after newcomer Mikey Lightbourne found the streaking Bennett with a through ball.

Eleven short minutes later Bennett, who led the nation in goals in 2011 with 23, netted his second of the night off a double assist by Shawn McLaws and Robby Joe Daniels. The Preseason Big South Player of the Year would finish the night with five points (2g, 1a), seven shots with four falling on frame.

Although was unable to find the back of the net, M.A.C. Hermann Trophy Watch List member Pedro Ribeiro fired off five shots, forcing the Longwood keeper to convert three of their nine saves.

Although the Chants controlled the pace of play, Longwood was able to put together an attack on a counter in the first half that forced sophomore keeper Federico Bertele to make his first save in a Chanticleer uniform.

Coastal finished the match with a 24-2 advantage in shots, including 17 in the second half, and held a 5-1 edge in corner kicks. Both sides finished with 11 fouls and two yellow cards.

The Chanticleers return to action on Monday, Aug. 17, in atop 10 clash at No. 5 UNC Charlotte.  The Chants fell to the eventual national runner-up 2-1 in last season's opening bout. Kick off from the 49ers Transamerica Field is set for 7 p.m.

Meanwhile, Longwood's next match is slated for Tuesday, Aug. 28 as it travels to Presbyterian College. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:00pm.

Campbell and No.-16 SMU play to 1-1 draw in season opener
DALLAS, TEXAS -- Campbell rallied for a 1-1 draw at 16th-ranked SMU Friday night in the men's soccer season opener for both teams at Westcott Field.

Sophomore Ricki Gaez provided the Camel goal in the 63rd minute, just 8:44 after SMU's Eddie Puskarich broke the scoreless tie.

Campbell keeper Ethan Hall finished with six saves in the nets, while Jaime Ibarra had eight for the Mustangs. Both teams completed the 110 minutes with 16 shots, while the Camels had a slight 9-7 advantage in shots on target.

In a balanced first half, when the host Mustangs held a slim 8-7 edge in shots but neither team was able to beat the keeper.

Puskarich put SMU in front in the 54th minute. He took a pass from Leobardo Vazquez and struck a 25-yard shot that hit the crossbar and went in Camel keeper Ethan Hall's net.

Senior Mitchell Cardenas was one of four Camel starters who played high school and club soccer in the Lone Star state. He was joined in the CU first 11 by fellow Texas products Justin Franz (Cedar Park/Vista Ridge HS), Travis Golden (Austin/James Bowie HS) and Keegan Terry (Carrollton/Hebron HS).

A midfielder, who prepped at College Park High School in Spring, Texas, Cardenas set up the equalizer in the 63rd minute when sophomore Ricki Gaez headed home his serve from the left flank.

Each team was able to direct only one shot on target over the last 22:25 of regulation. SMU took an 89th minute corner, but could not get off a shot.

At the end of regulation, the Camels held a 14-13 edge in shots with 9 on target, compared to 7 for the hosts.

Both teams were able to get off only one shot in the first extra period, and neither attempt was on frame.

Andrew Morales and Vazquez had attempts in the final minute of the second OT, but Morales' effort was blocked and Vazquez' try sailed over Hall's cross bar.

Friday's contest marked the second-straight year that Campbell went into extra time against a nationally-ranked opponent in its season opener. Last season, the Camels drew 0-0 with 30th-ranked Furman at home.

Campbell moved to 0-5-2 against nationally-ranked teams under the guidance of third-year head coach Steve Armas.

Campbell continues its two-game season-opening road trip through Texas Sunday with a 1:00 p.m. (CDT) kick-off at Houston Baptist. The Camels host UNC Wilmington on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in their home opener.

Winthrop Men's Soccer Opens Season With 4-1 Win
ROCK HILL, SC-Winthrop men's soccer scored four second half goals to open up the 2012 season with a 4-1 victory over Brevard College, Friday evening at Eagle Field.

The victory puts the Eagles at 1-0 on the season and gave them their sixth straight victory in a home opener.

After a scoreless first half, Winthrop didn't take long getting on the scoreboard out of the break as freshman Patrick Barnes scored his first collegiate goal on a nice through ball from senior Tomas Brennan. Barnes collected the pass, took a touch and then slotted it into the back of the net in the 47th minute. Winthrop struck again soon after as this time Brennan was on the other end of the goal as he headed home a service from senior Daniel Di Biagio at the near post. Di Biagio worked hard to get open for a service and bent the ball near post as Brennan made the near post run and redirected the ball into the far side of the net.

The momentum of the game shifted heavily into the Eagles favor with the second goal, but a miscue in the defense allowed the Tornados to get back in the game. The defense misplayed the ball out of the back and Landon Reid found himself with the ball and one-on-one with senior Enrique Miranda as he slipped the ball into the corner of the goal just two minutes after Winthrop went ahead 2-0.

Winthrop took a 3-1 lead in the 64th minute as senior Alex Isern delivered a free kick from around 45 yards to the right of the Brevard keeper and the service curled toward the frame as freshman Jordi Lluch was moving in as if to win the header when he let the ball bounce. That froze the Brevard goalie and the ball bounced into the right corner of the goal. The Eagles added another in the 82nd minute when senior Marc Segarra scored his second collegiate goal. Isern beat a Brevard defender wide and as he approached the goal he pushed the ball in front of the net for Segarra to pass it in from about eight yards out.

Junior Tom Banfield earned the win in the net for the Eagles as he made two saves.

Winthrop finished with a 27-10 edge is shots and 12-1 on corners.

Presbyterian College Men's Soccer Falls to No. 20 Furman in Season Opener, 3-0
CLINTON, S.C. - The Presbyterian College men's soccer team dropped its 2012 season opener to the No. 20 Furman Paladins by a 3-0 margin on Friday night at Edens Field at Martin Stadium.

Furman improves to 1-0-0 while PC moves to 0-1-0.

Blue Hose goalkeeper Tyler Beadle (Douglasville, Ga.) made 13 saves in his PC debut, stopping six shots in the first half and seven in the second. The netminder made several bang-bang saves, including stopping a shot by Kevin Pahl and kicking away the immediate rebound shot from Tyler Peoples late in the contest.

Byron Quinatoa (Santo Domingos de los Colorados, Ecuador) tallied two shots for the Blue Hose, one of which forced Furman goalkeeper Trent Johnson to make a difficult save.

Furman went ahead in the 12th minute off of a corner kick. Martin Ontiveros found Danny Hojaij with a cross and the Paladin tucked the loose ball into the back of the net.

The Paladins scored again in the 25th minute, using a long throw-in from Adrian McInnis and Walker Zimmerman header to take a 2-0 lead.

PC applied pressure in the second half in the form of five shots and a pair of corner kicks, but to no avail. Furman added another goal in the 60th minute for the final 3-0 tally.

Jared Mitchell (Huntsville, Ala.), Jonny Mercado (Lilburn, Ga.) and Nico Fazio (Roswell, Ga.) each recorded a shot as well.

Greg White (Stockbridge, Ga.) made his collegiate debut while Fazio and Justin Clagette (Douglasville, Ga.) both made their first appearances since the 2010 season.

The Blue Hose begin Big South Conference play on Tuesday when the squad hosts Longwood at 5 p.m.

Liberty Falls in Season Opener, 2-0
LYNCHBURG, Va. - With the third largest crowd ever to watch a Liberty soccer game in attendance, the visiting N.C. State Wolfpack scored a goal in each half, en route a season-opening 2-0 victory over the Flames, Friday evening at Osborne Stadium. 

A crowd of 1,783 was in attendance for the contest, the largest crowd to attend a game at Osborne Stadium since Oct. 12, 2010, when No. 2 ranked North Carolina defeated Liberty, 2-0.

Liberty, the defending Big South Champions, drop to 0-1 on the year.  N.C. State moves to 1-0.

The host Flames weathered early pressure from the Wolfpack less than seven minutes into the contest's opening half.  The visitors set up a shot from the left side of the 18-yard box for forward Monbo Bokar, which Liberty goalkeeper Sam Chappell turned away easily.

The Flames forced a save from N.C. State keeper Fabian Otte during the 28th minute.  After a defender blocked a shot attempt by defender Uriah Bentick, forward Sachem Wilson ripped an attempt from the left side of the penalty area.  However, Otte stepped up and made the save, keeping the game scoreless.

The two teams exchanged shots during the middle of the first half. Chappell stopped a shot by the Wolfpack's leading scorer from a year ago, forward Nazmi Albadawi, during the the 27th minute.  Otte snatched a header by Flames' midfielder Tim Harbison off a crossing pass in the 28th minute.

With the contest looking like it was headed to halftime scoreless, N.C. State netted its first goal of the game in the 44th minute.  A miscommunication by the Liberty defense led to a giveaway, which Albadawi scooped up and tallied from 20 yards off the left side for a 1-0 Wolfpack advantage at intermission.

The second half opened with Liberty catching N.C. State in transition during the opening minute of the second half. Liberty's Wilson moved in to opened field for a blast from 25 yards out on the left side of the field, which hit the crossbar and rebounded over.  Haribson followed during the 48th minute, dropping a header wide of the net.

The contest then settled into the midfield.  Neither squad was able to mount many scoring opportunities.

With the Flames pushing forward looking for the equalizer, Wolfpack midfielder Alex Martinez moved behind the Liberty defense, gaining the 18-yard box and feeding a pass across the goal mouth to Bokar.  The forward tapped the ball into the open net to give N.C. State what turned out to be the final score of 2-0.

Both Wilson and Bentick got off shot attempts in the later stages of the contest, but were unable to score.  Wilson's shot in the 86th minute sailed high over the goal, while Bentick's attempt in the 87th minute was turned away by Otte.

Liberty outshot N.C. State, 11-8, in the game, while the Wolfpack held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.

Chappell, making his first collegiate start, made three saves in the Liberty net.  Otte recorded three saves for N.C. State.

Liberty next opens Big South play by visiting the newest member of the conference, the Longwood Lancers, on Sept. 1.  Match time at the Longwood Athletics Complex is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Pair of Late Goals Seals VMI Men's Soccer's Fate in Opener 
NEWARK, N.J. - Behind a pair of late goals in the final five minutes by the New Jersey Institute of Technology, the Virginia Military Institute men's soccer team suffered a 3-0 setback in the 2012 season opener.

Three different Highlanders scored in the game, but VMI senior keeper Taylor Feuerstein turned aside four shots. The Keydets (0-1-0) managed six shots in the game, putting four on cage. VMI midfielder Matt Seinfeld notched a team-high three shots, putting all of his attempts on goal. Jacob MacIntyre, David Rochow and Andrew Starnes logged one attempt each.

The Keydets fell behind early after NJIT's Jason Gonzalez buried a shot on a pass from Franco Gamero in the 16th minute. The game remained scoreless until the 86th minute as NJIT's Matthew Praino scored his first of the year on an assist from Marko Drljic, who led the game with three points after scoring a goal in the 89th minute.

Several VMI freshmen saw their first collegiate action in the game, including Eric Friese, who made his first career start for the Keydets. Four newcomers saw time off the bench, paced by Starnes' one shot.

The start of the game was delayed following NJIT's women's soccer team competing on the same field prior to the men's action.

The Highlanders (1-0-0) led the game in shots with 11, putting seven on cage. They also attempted 11 corner kicks, while the Keydets managed just one, coming in the second half. In goal for NJIT, Lars Maalen-Johansen played all 90 minutes, making four saves.

VMI will play is second game in a row on the road next Friday, Aug. 31 as it travels to Emmitsburg, Md. to take on Northeast Conference foe Mount St. Mary's. Game time is slated for 7 p.m. at Waldron Family Field.