#10 Coastal Claims Regular Season Title; LU & WU Win


#10 Coastal Carolina Downs Presbyterian College, 3-0
CLINTON, S.C. - The 10th-ranked Coastal Carolina men's soccer team entered Wednesday's match nation's top scoring offense and proceeded to add three more goals to defeat Presbyterian College, 3-0, at Martin Stadium.

The Chanticleers, who earned at least a share of the Big South regular season championship Saturday afternoon in a 6-0 win over Winthrop, secured the conference's number one seed and outright championship after High Point defeated Campbell 2-0 on Tuesday night.

Coastal Carolina's leading scorer, Ashton Bennett, scored the eventual game-winning goal on a pass from Pedro Ribeiro to put the Chants up 1-0 in the 24th minute of action.

The goal was Bennett's 19th of the year to move him into a tie for fourth place with Jordie Hughes for the most goals scored in single season by a Chanticleer player.

Sophomore Justin Portillo netted the second goal of the night in 30th minute of action after tracking down a loose ball and placing it in the right corner of net to give Coastal a 2-0 lead.

The third goal came a minute later as Ribeiro corralled a deflected shot attempt from TeeJay East to put the Chants up 3-0 in the after 31 minutes of play.

The Chanticleers outshot the Blue Hose 32-7 on the night while attempting 11 shots on goal compared to the three from Presbyterian College.

Coastal has now shutout opponents six times this year as Scott Angevine and Montrell Morgan combined for their second clean sheet in as many games.

Ignacio Monchetti gave PC one of its best opportunities of the match with a shot in the seventh minute. Taking a free kick outside the goal box, the freshman fired a shot that Coastal Carolina goalkeeper Angevine had to dive to keep out of the net.  Monchetti tested Angevine again early in the second half but was not able to tally his third goal of the season.

At halftime, PC honored seniors Bobby Keskey and Thomas Palma . The players each serve as co-captain and have appeared in every PC win over the last three years.

PC moves to 3-13-0 on the year and 3-5-0 in Big South Conference play. Coastal Carolina improves to 15-2-0 overall and 8-0-0 in league play.

Coastal returns home for the final match of the regular season playing host to the Campbell Camels at the CCU Soccer Field, Saturday Nov. 5, with kick-off slate for noon.

PC wraps up its season on Saturday with a road trip to UNC Asheville. The Blue Hose face off against the Bulldogs at 2 p.m.

Liberty Ends Regular Season with 3-0 Win
LYNCHBURG, VA. - The Liberty Flames recorded their seventh shutout of the year, downing the visiting Radford Highlanders, 3-0, in a Big South match to close out their regular season, Wednesday afternoon at Osborne Stadium.

With the win, Liberty moves to 4-4-1 in Big South Conference play and 9-6-1 overall.  Radford drops to 3-4-1 in conference action and 8-8-1 overall. 

Playing in their final home game in a Flames uniform, midfielder Phillip Aseweh and forward Darren Amoo each scored goals for Liberty. Sophomore midfielder Juan J. Niño opened the scoring for the Flames with his first goal of the year. Liberty completes its home schedule, 5-1-1 at Osborne Stadium.

The Flames and Highlanders played a wide open, fast paced opening 30 minutes, started off by a header by Radford midfielder Carter Mills off a corner kick in the third minute of play.

Staying on the attack, the Highlanders' leading scorer, forward Iyiola Awosika came free in the 18-yard box during the fifth minute. The forward headed an attempt towards the Liberty net, which Flames goalkeeper Scott Sutarik came off his line and corralled for his first save of the afternoon.

In transition, Liberty got its first shot of the game during the seventh minute, as a header by forward Kyle Breitmeyer forced a diving save by Radford goalkeeper Ryan Taylor.

Over the next 15 minutes, the two sides exchanged several shot attempts, without denting the scoreboard.

Juan J. Niño gave Liberty a 1-0 lead during the 34th minute. Amoo took a loose ball near the top of the penalty area and beat two defenders, before feeding Niño with a pass in the left corner of the 18-yard box.  The midfielder sidestepped two defenders and fired a shot into the lower left corner, giving the Flames an advantage.

Shortly after the Liberty marker, Highlander Brain Gwanzura caught Sutarik off the goal line with a shot. However, Flame defender Greg White scrambled back and cleared the ball off the line to keep the visitors scoreless.

In the 38th minute, a Radford player was issued a red card, forcing the visiting Highlanders to play the rest of the way a man down.

Radford held a 7-6 edge in shots over Liberty in the first half of play.  The Highlanders also held a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks during the first 45 minutes.

The Flames began the second half on the attack.  After being whistled offsides during the 49th minute, Amoo worked his way free for a shot from 20 yards out during the 57th minute. The forward rocketed a liner off the top of the crossbar and out of play.

Liberty struck for two quick goals over a 1:31 span. Off a corner kick during the 64th minute, Liberty extended its lead to 2-0.   Senior midfielder Juan F. Niño lofted a pass to the center of the box for Amoo, who headed into the back of the net for his fifth goal of the year.

A minute later, a shot by Breitmeyer hit the crossbar and was cleared.  However, Aseweh pounced on the clearing attempt and sent a pass ahead to Breitmeyer, who moved the ball into the box and drew a defender.  The forward fed a pass back to Aseweh, who ripped a shot into the right corner for his sixth goal of the year, putting Liberty up with the final margin of victory, 3-0.

Shots during the entire contest were even at 12-12, with Radford holding a 6-5 edge in corner kicks.

Sutarik made five saves, posting his fourth shutout in six starts in the Liberty net.  Taylor recorded two saves for the Highlanders.

With his goal in the second half, Amoo moves into third on Liberty's career goals list with 35.  He is one shy of tying Darrell Roberts (2002-06) and James Wright (1992-94) for the top spot on the list with 36.  The forward is also tied for fourth with Adrian Bumbut (2004-07) on the program's points list with 79.

Juan F. Niño's assist on Aseweh's goal was the 18th of his career, moving him into sixth on Liberty's all-time list.

With their regular season concluded, the Flames will await the conclusion of the Big South Conference regular season on Saturday to find out their seeding and opponent in the Big South quarterfinals, Saturday. The Big South Men's Soccer Championship will be played at Greene-Haribson Stadium in Boiling Springs, N.C., Nov. 10-13.

Radford will travel to Winthrop on Saturday for a Big South contest.  Match time is scheduled for Noon.

GWU Men's Soccer Falls at Home on "Senior Night" to Winthrop, 1-0
Boiling Springs, N.C. - The Gardner-Webb men's soccer team's bid to finish the regular season undefeated at home came up just short, as the Runnin' Bulldogs suffered their first home loss of the season, 1-0, to the Winthrop Eagles on Wednesday night in their final regular season match of the year.

The loss snaps GWU's unbeaten streak at six and drops the Runnin' Bulldogs to 8-7-3 overall and 5-3-1 in the Big South.  With the win, Winthrop improves to 7-10 overall and 3-5 in Big South play.

Riding high after the pre-game Senior Night festivities, in which seniors Julian Morris, Richie Wall, Kevin Nolan and Eric Asanin-Miroux were all recognized, the Runnin' Bulldogs looked to secure a win to finish the season perfect at home (5-0) and claim second-place overall in the Big South regular season standings.

Wall recorded the first shot of the game in the very first minute, only to have Winthrop goalkeeper Enrique Miranda catch the ball in flight and trap it to his chest to spoil the senior's first scoring attempt.

Winthrop's first scoring opportunity came in the 11th minute, as Andres Pullin played a cross from the right of the box to the left where Nick Kowalski fired a shot that found its way just inside the front left post to give the Eagles the early 1-0 lead.

Gardner-Webb's Chris Davis looked to tie the score up less than a minute later, only to have Winthrop's Miranda make a great save, his second of the night, to keep the home team off the scoreboard.

Over the next 25 minutes of play, GWU outshot the Eagles 6-3, as Davis and sophomore Chijioke Akujuobi each had a shot on frame, which were both stopped by Miranda.

In GWU's goal, redshirt-junior Scott Krotee made two stops of his own to keep the Eagles from increasing their lead throughout the first half.

Just before the first half ended, in the 43rd minute, GWU's Akujuobi gave the Runnin' Bulldogs perhaps their best scoring chance of the night, as the sophomore battled with a Winthrop defender down the right side of the box.  Akujuobi was able to get just enough of his right foot on the ball to send it toward the center of the goal and past Miranda, only to have another Winthrop defender slide in and clear the ball out of the box to spoil Gardner-Webb's attempt to knot the score up at 1-1.

The intensity and physicality picked up in the second half of play, as both teams were battling hard for control of the contest.

After Krotee made two saves on back-to-back shot attempts from Winthrop in the 52nd and 53rd minutes, the Gardner-Webb offense tried to find the equalizer, as Davis had a shot attempt blocked in the 58th minute, while Wall sent a laser wide left of the goal in the 63rd minute.

The Runnin' Bulldogs would get only two more shots off in the final 27 minutes of play, both of which were blocked, as the Eagles outshot GWU 5-2 during that span, forcing Krotee to account for three more saves to keep the home team in the match.

The final horn sounded with the Eagles taking the 1-0 road win over the Runnin' Bulldogs, giving Gardner-Webb their first loss since October 1st at Campbell.

Gardner-Webb outshot Winthrop 15-14 and held a slight 7-6 advantage in corner kicks, a sign of balanced the match was from start to finish.

GWU's Krotee suffered the loss despite recording seven saves for the match, while Winthrop's Miranda recorded the win with four saves of his own.

Davis led the GWU offense with five shot attempts, two of which were on goal, one ahead of junior midfielder John Sargent who totaled four shot attempts.

Gardner-Webb (8-7-3, 5-3-1 Big South) will now have a week off before their next match, as the Runnin' Bulldogs will set their sights on the 2011 Big South Men's Soccer Championships which begin on Thursday, November 10th, in Boiling Springs, N.C.

Winthrop (7-10, 3-5 Big South) will wrap up their 2011 regular season this Saturday afternoon, November 5th, as the Eagles will host the Radford Highlanders at 12 p.m. in Rock Hill, S.C.