Photo by: Sideline Sports
Big South Football: Week 1 Preview
The 10th season of Big South Conference football kicks off this Saturday, Sept. 3 with all seven teams in action, including four games on the Big South Network presented by State Farm and Liberty at North Carolina State nationally on ESPN3.com. A printable version of this preview is available to the right and below.
#8/8 Wofford Terriers (0-0) at PRESBYTERIAN BLUE HOSE • Bailey Memorial Stadium • 1:30pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the 82nd meeting between the schools. Presbyterian College lead the series, 40-38-3.
- The last PC win in the series came in 1994 when the Blue Hose defeated the Terriers, 10-7 in Spartanburg.
- Presbyterian starts the year at home for the first time since 2005, and last won its season opener in 2006.
- The last time PC defated a SoCon team was in 1979, a 17-10 victory at Furman.
- Blue Hose QB BRANDON MILEY needs 43 passing yards to reach 4,000 in his career.
Delaware State Hornets (0-0) at VMI KEYDETS (0-0) • Foster Stadium • 1:30pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the first meeting between the two schools.
- The Keydets have won their last six season openers, averaging 30.7 points while recording three shutouts.
- VMI is playing its 121st football season in 2011, and is 74-44-2 all-time in season openers.
- Keydet LB A.J. GROSS needs 0.5 TFL to become the eighth player in Big South history with 30 in a career.
- VMI RB CHAZ JONES is 69 rushing yards away from 1,000 in his career.
Furman Paladins (0-0) at COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS (0-0) • Brooks Stadium • 6:00pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the third meeting between the schools. The series is tied, 1-1, with the home team claiming victory.
- The Chanticleers are opening the season at home for the first time since 2006 and just the third time overall.
- Coastal Carolina is opening the campaign against a SoCon team for the third time since 2005 (1-1 record).
- Chants TE DAVID DURAN needs seven catches to become the first tight end in Big South history with 60 in a career.
- Coastal DB JOSH NORMAN needs one INT to move into sole possession of second-place in League history.
Brevard Tornados (0-0) at GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN' BULLDOGS (0-0) • Spangler Stadium • 6:00pm • Big South Network presented by State Farm
- This is the second meeting between the schools. Gardner-Webb won the first meeting last year, 28-14.
- Saturday's game will be the head coaching debut for new GWU leader RON DICKERSON, JR.
- Gardner-Webb is 21-18-2 all-time in season openers, and is opening at home for the third-straight year.
- GWU WR JAMES PERRY III needs eight catches to move into second-place on the Big South career list.
- Runnin' Bulldog QB CHANDLER BROWNING is 137 passing yards away from 1,000 in his young career.
#18/22 LIBERTY FLAMES (0-0) at North Carolina State Wolfpack (0-0) • Carter-Finley Stadium • 6:00pm • ESPN3.com
- This is the first meeting between the two schools, and is Liberty's first ACC match-up since 2006.
- The Flames are opening the season against an FBS member for the second time in three years.
- Liberty is 19-19 all-time in season openers, but has won six of its last nine lid-lifters.
- Flames WR CHRIS SUMMERS needs one touchdown reception to become the fourth Big South player with 20.
- Liberty QB MIKE BROWN has thrown for at least 200 yards in each of his last 12 starts under center.
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (0-0) at UCF Knights (0-0) • Bright House Networks Stadium • 7:00pm • Bright House Sports Network
- This is the first meeting between the two schools, and it is the Buccaneers' ninth FBS foe under JAY MILLS.
- Charleston Southern is opening the campaign on the road for the eighth time in the last nine seasons.
- The contest is the first of three consecutive games Charleston Southern will play in the state of Florida.
- The Buccaneers' roster features 47 players from the Sunshine State.
- In his last game against an FBS opponent (Kentucky), QB MALCOLM DIXON rushed for 96 yards.
STONY BROOK SEAWOLVES (0-0) at UTEP Miners (0-0) • Sun Bowl • 9:00pm
- This is the first meeting between the two schools, and is the Seawolves' second-ever game vs. an FBS foe.
- Stony Brook opens the season on the road for the third-straight year.
- The Seawolves have not won a season opener on the road since beating Pace, 21-19, in 1995.
- SBU K WESLEY SKIFFINGTON needs 21 points to become the all-time kick scoring leader in school history.
- Stony Brook will play its third FBS opponent next week when the Seawolves travel to MAC member Buffalo.