CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. -- The Coastal Carolina women's golf program continues to earn national accolades for its work on and off the links as the Chanticleers have been ranked among the top 25 schools with the highest team grade-point average (GPA) in the country.
The Chants finished with a 3.617 team GPA, which ranks 22nd according to the poll by the National Golf Coaches Association. Coastal was the only Big South Conference program and the only institution in South Carolina recognized in the top 25. The honor marks the second time the Chanticleer program has been recognized since the 2004-05 team received the honor.
"This is a tremendous honor for our team," said head coach Katie Quinney. "Our players have worked hard all year long on and off the golf course. To be able to compete at a high level and to be great students is something very special."
Coastal recently had three members of its lineup named to the NGCA All-American Scholar Team; Jessica Alexander, Courtney Boe and Brittany Henderson. Each earned a cumulative GPA of at least 3.50 to qualify for the honor.
The NGCA, founded in 1983, is a non-profit organization representing women's collegiate golf coaches at the Division I, II and III levels. The NGCA was formed to encourage the playing of college golf for women in correlation with a general objective of education and in accordance with the highest tradition of intercollegiate competition. Today, the NGCA represents more than 550 coaches throughout the U.S. and is dedicated to educating, promoting and recognizing both its members and the student-athletes they represent.
Place, School (GPA)
1. Lee University (3.965)
2. Merrimack College (3.787)
3. Otterbein University (3.786)
4. University of Akron (3.766)
5. University of New Mexico (3.735)
6. University of Central Oklahoma (3.734)
7. Drury University (3.717)
8. University of Memphis (3.711)
9. Western Carolina University (3.708)
T10. Angelo State University (3.707)
T10. Lynn University (3.707)
12. Xavier University (3.704)
13. Hope College (3.692)
14. Harvard University (3.690)
15. Texas Tech University (3.680)
16. Bradley University (3.664)
17. Barry University (3.663)
18. Tusculum College (3.644)
19. University of Missouri-Kansas City (3.630)
20. Rollins College (3.628)
21. University of Tennessee Chattanooga (3.621)
22. COASTAL CAROLINA UNIVERSITY (3.617)
23. University of Notre Dame (3.611)
24. West Texas A&M University (3.606)
25. Brown University (3.605)