ASHEVILLE, N.C. (www.BigSouthSports.com) - No. 1 seed Radford cruised through the quarterfinals of the 2012 Big South Conference Men’s Tennis Championship with a 5-0 victory over No. 8 seed Gardner-Webb Thursday morning at the Asheville Racquet Club downtown.
Radford won the doubles point as the No. 2 team of Stijin Meulemans and Igor Ogrizek won their match over Matthew Parker and Ernest Alberch, 8-0. At No. 3 doubles, Gardner-Webb’s team of Stephen Martin and Roman Piftor led early, 2-1, before the Highlanders team of Joe Mills and Patrick O’Keefe roared back to win the next seven games to win, 8-2.
In singles action, Meulemans won at No. 3 over Alberch, 6-2, 6-1, to give the Highlanders a 2-0 lead. O’Keefe won at No. 6 singles, 6-1, 6-2, to push Radford to a 3-0 lead.
The match ended when Igor Ogrizek at No. 2 singles and Nicholas Sayer at No. 1 singles won at just about the same time to give the Highlanders the winning points.
With the win, the Highlanders (18-5) will meet the winner of the Campbell vs.
Winthrop match on Friday, April 20 at 10:00am in the semifinals. The
Runnin’ Bulldogs season ends at 6-16.
Radford 5, Gardner-Webb 0
1. Sayer, Nicholas (RADFORD) def. A. Knutsson-Sundblad (GWUM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Ogrizek, Igor (RADFORD) def. Roman Piftor (GWUM) 6-3, 6-3
3. Meulemans, Stijn (RADFORD) def. Ernest Alberch (GWUM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Dehaen, Thomas (RADFORD) dnf. Korhan Ates (GWUM) 7-6 (7-4), 2-1
5. Mills, Joe (RADFORD) dnf. Joao Poli (GWUM) 7-5, 1-0
6. O'Keefe, Patrick (RADFORD) def. Brendan Dempsey (GWUM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Korhan Ates/A. Knutsson-Sundblad (GWUM) dnf. Sayer, Nicholas/Dehaen, Thomas (RADFORD) 6-3
2. Meulemans, Stijn/Ogrizek, Igor (RADFORD) def. Matthew Parker/Ernest Alberch (GWUM) 8-0
3. Mills, Joe/O'Keefe, Patrick (RADFORD) def. Stephen Martin/Roman Piftor (GWUM) 8-2